• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The reds should have signed with ringers western

They already did:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
They already did:

I mean a playing jersey with a ringers logo on it, now days you can get a smaller company to produce the the kit with a logo on it like Cotton on do with geelong & the aflw.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Jersey worn by Kalani is for the Reds Japan tour, not 2023.. Which I'm ok with

1665001912988.png

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
What happened with Canterbury over the last 15 years or so? Was it simply the case that other rugby apparel brands entered the market at more competitive price points?

Back in the late 90s and early 2000s every school and club I knew used Canterbury kit.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I lot of people liking that jersey on social media. I think its fine for that type of game. Wouldn't want it as a permanent jersey though
Yeah, it's a great jersey but couldn't be the main one.

Wouldn't hate it if the away strip looked something like that though, it's different enough from the crusaders standard to avoid a clash and no one else's jersey is red enough to worry about.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
What happened with Canterbury over the last 15 years or so? Was it simply the case that other rugby apparel brands entered the market at more competitive price points?

Back in the late 90s and early 2000s every school and club I knew used Canterbury kit.

They have been bought & sold a few times over the years with the different parent companies having different ideas on direction of the company.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Canterbury aren't unique, plenty of domestic manufacturers have struggled over the same period, the biggest cause is the reduction of trade barriers protecting the textile industry, import duties have declined quite significantly through the 90s and since 2005. Whilst Canterbury is a New Zealand company, they are exempt under free trade agreements.

As member section mentioned, they probably lacked the guidance/were too slow to adapt to the increased competition from cheaper alternatives.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
A bit of noise on the socials (probably unsurprisingly) about how they should’ve preferenced a ‘local supplier’. I personally much prefer a globally-known entity over yet another pop-up local brand… Canterbury have offices in Sydney which probably employ more people than the micro-brands anyway

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A bit of noise on the socials (probably unsurprisingly) about how they should’ve preferenced a ‘local supplier’. I personally much prefer a globally-known entity over yet another pop-up local brand… Canterbury have offices in Sydney which probably employ more people than the micro-brands anyway
there's always a bit of noise on social media about any announcement.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

Can't please everyone.

The Reds (and many other teams) have done the apparel run-around the last few years, seems to be a new provider every second season. I'll just be happy if we get some good looking, high quality kit and they stick around for a while.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
I quite like that jersey. Would be better option for an away jersey than just trotting out the standard white advertising t shirt.

Canterbury had issues with reliability of getting kit as well for lower level clubs compared to some others like Classic, ISC and the myriad of others like Kooga, BLK that have all come and gone under different umbrellas now.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Challenger series game 1 teams:

Queensland Reds Development XV
  1. Sef Fa’agase | University of Queensland
  2. Matt Faessler | Brothers
  3. Zane Nonggorr | Bond University
  4. Wilson Blyth | Bond University
  5. Angus Blyth (C) | Bond University
  6. Connor Anderson | Wests
  7. Sam Wallis | University of Queensland
  8. Keynan Tauakipulu | Wests
  9. Kalani Thomas | University of Queensland
  10. Lawson Creighton | Brothers
  11. Joey Fittock | Bond University
  12. Matt Smit | Easts
  13. Conor Chittenden | Norths
  14. Floyd Aubrey | GPS
  15. Mac Grealy | University of Queensland
  16. George Blake | Bond University
  17. Dane Zander | University of Queensland
  18. Phransis Sula-Siaosi | Souths
  19. Taine Roiri | Easts
  20. Tom Milosevic | Easts
  21. Spencer Jeans | Bond University
  22. Tom Lynagh | University of Queensland
  23. Cooper Whiteside | Wests Queensland Rugby

President’s XV
  1. Levi Samuela | Bond University
  2. Ethan Dobbins | Wests
  3. Rhys Sheriff | Bond University
  4. Zac Shepherd | Easts
  5. Jake Upfield | Bond University
  6. Jonte Connolly | Brothers
  7. Alex Smit | Easts
  8. Pat Morrey (vc) | University of Queensland
  9. Eli Pilz (c) | Easts
  10. Brad Twidale | University of Queensland
  11. Kye Oates | University of Queensland
  12. Tyler Campbell | Bond University
  13. Dan Boardman | Bond University
  14. Ben Navosailagi | Wests
  15. Meli Dreu | Easts
  16. JP Tominiko | Easts
  17. Liam Usher | Wests
  18. Latu Talakai | Wests
  19. Ratu Vio Batibasaga | GPS
  20. Connor Pritchard | Bond University
  21. Louis Werchon | Brothers
  22. Tom Lucas | Sunnybank
  23. Jordan Carriera | Easts

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
At least Canterbury have an entire range of merchandise, the amount of options in the last few years has been reduced.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Those kicking up a stink are probably also too young to remember the Canterbury outlets that use to be at shopping malls and even in the city.

Only place I've seen Reds gear in person is Rebel stores waaaaaaaaaaaaay in the back hidden away after the NRL kits.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Those kicking up a stink are probably also too young to remember the Canterbury outlets that use to be at shopping malls and even in the city.

Only place I've seen Reds gear in person is Rebel stores waaaaaaaaaaaaay in the back hidden away after the NRL kits.
For those base din Brisbane, Canterbury used to have outlet sales every October long weekend with tons of Rugby stuff at good prices. Boots, headgear, jerseys, short etc.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hoops and Harlequins styles are great as change strips.

The Reds hoops one from while back was absolute fire!. I can't tell if that jersey in the photo is repeated on the back, but if it is, I'd be more than happy to purchase one.