• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Interesting addition to the coaching team with Kane Hames on board. Can’t see a lot of experience coaching but assume he will cover Crapper’s scrum work.
Interesting guy.
Does a fair bit of commentating and accredited referee and done a few Mitre 10 cup games as AR.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
How does the QPR and Super Rugby start dates align in 2023? They might be waiting to see who’s putting in the work during early rounds of QPR before committing to extra prop signings.
Nah Super Rugby is well before QPR.
if anything they might bring some guys in on a trial and train contract during Dec-Jan, see who performs through pre-season and offer them a contract after that.

Last edited:

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Will buy my Reds membership in the coming weeks, however this squad worries me. No Tupou in my eyes means this front 5 is one of the worst in Super Rugby, perhaps the worst, he’s that big of a loss. Backline potentially great, but fingers crossed JOC (James O'Connor) can stay fit, otherwise will be a long year. Back row will be high performers as usual

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm not sure JOC (James O'Connor) staying fit and guiding this team is going to be the metric I measure success on in 2023.

It's the last year of his contract, he's become an injury magnet and is definitely in his twilight years.

We really need the next generation to step up. Ideally, we'd see JOC (James O'Connor) riding the bench for the later stages of the season with Creighton or Lynagh guiding the team well.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Nah Super Rugby is well before QPR.
if anything they might bring some guys in on a trial and train contract during Dec-Jan, see who performs through pre-season and offer them a contract after that.

Yes good point, I just checked QPR start dates and Round 1 is pushed forward this year, 25th March, which is around a month earlier than last year.

Reds should get a decent look at a few guys during those pre-season games as well.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm not too unhappy with it, aside from the injuries at prop it's pretty solid across the board with pretty good continuity. Some bigger ins would have been nice but I wasn't really expecting them at this late stage.

Still think we might be short a prop given the injuries to Tupou and Hoopert though.

yeah, they are hunting for an experienced THP to help cover Tupou's absence.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Queensland Reds 2023 Coaching Staff:
Brad Thorn – Head Coach

Jim McKay – Assistant Coach

Phil Blake – Assistant Coach

Mick Heenan – Assistant Coach

Kane Hames – Assistant Coach

Great to see Australia's best defensive coach since Muggleton back home... any bets on him returning to Wallabies set-up in 2024 as Rennie's current D coach Fisher is rumored to be retiring from coaching after the 2023 World Cup?

Last edited:

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Great to see Australia's best defensive coach since Muggleton back home... any bets on him returning to Wallabies set-up in 2024 as Rennie's current D coach Fisher is rumored to be retiring from coaching after the 2023 World Cup?
You do realise he has been "back home" for the past couple of years coaching in the Shute Shield right?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thoughts on the squad? Seems quite underwhelming to me. I was hoping for a couple more "bigger names"
I think Aus teams across the board have struggled with positive replacements for big name departures. Just more big names off shore. Reds have done better then most but

Mafi OUT Faesller in -loss
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) OUT W.Blyth in - loss
ASY (Angus Scott-Young) OUT Jones in -gain
Stewart OUT - ....noone in? Aubrey? Loss

Sure some guys will be better for being more experienced but for example Dane Zander can get up to 50 caps this year...does not mean dane zander is any good.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I think Aus teams across the board have struggled with positive replacements for big name departures. Just more big names off shore. Reds have done better then most but

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) OUT W.Blyth in - loss
ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young) OUT Jones in -gain

Sure some guys will be better for being more experienced but for example Dane Zander can get up to 50 caps this year...does not mean dane zander is any good.
I think Faesller has the potential to be equal to Mafi, but no by round 1. He looks pretty good to me.

Zander is an interesting one, he played a bit at THP for his club this season. I wonder if they will give him some time there in Super Rugby? ( I hope not based on what I saw during the club games)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think Faesller has the potential to be equal to Mafi, but no by round 1. He looks pretty good to me.

Zander is an interesting one, he played a bit at THP for his club this season. I wonder if they will give him some time there in Super Rugby? ( I hope not based on what I saw during the club games)
Zander played at THP for UQ but he was dominated by opposition front rows, and that’s at club level. His progress has plateaued disappointingly

Wilson

David Codey (61)

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) OUT W.Blyth in - loss
ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young) OUT Jones in -gain

It's worth noting that as much as Mafi and Salakaia-Loto are a loss to the squad, the aren't that much of a loss on the 23's we were fielding this year - Salakaia-Loto was 281 minutes over 6 games and Mafi was 111 minutes over 2 games.

Stewart and Scott-Young are obviously bigger losses to what we've been fielding, but with the vast majority of the replacements coming through the pathways and from within the system we should at least be well placed to hit the ground running.