• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
apparel portal is now open (no cotton jerseys unfortunately)
No away jerseys on the site.

Jerseys look good, I know this will be unpopular but I wish they were red jerseys rather than maroon.

I have always wondered how many pairs of shorts get sold each year, I would have at least 10 jerseys/shirts/polos in my cupboard but have never thought that $80 for a pair of gym shorts is worth the money.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I don't really know if I will renew my membership, I get the forever red membership for myself and my 2 kids, and usually add a couple of cheap things like a coffee mug or lunchbox.

The membership is $50 for adults and $30 for kids and comes with a $25 credit for the shop which would be good if they had cheap items, I want a membership cap but it looks like they have disappeared as well.

The cheapest item in the shop is $70 for a training singlet.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
1670458875525.png

Full photo for everyone's reference.

Not sure I'm in love with the white shorts - much prefer the navy

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Might be the unpopular opinion but I think they've played it too safe with that jersey. Replace the Canterbury logo and it looks very similar to last years, which is nice, but I was hoping for something a bit different.

I don't think this design is going to have the jerseys flying off the shelves, especially if you have one from last year. Maybe the Canterbury aspect will be enough to get buyers interested though.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I have always wondered how many pairs of shorts get sold each year, I would have at least 10 jerseys/shirts/polos in my cupboard but have never thought that $80 for a pair of gym shorts is worth the money.
The cheapest item in the shop is $70 for a training singlet.

I know it's not just rugby, but it's interesting how expensive things like 'official training gear' has become. Maybe to cover the costs of all the excess gear they hand out to the players?? I fondly remember when a family member played for the Reds ten odd years ago, not because he was part of the team, but I still have half a dozen training shorts from the Kooga era that he gave me.

People can now buy good quality stuff online for literally 1/3 that price. I picked up 5 pairs of shorts and 5 gym shirts from Under Armour for $130 on the Black Friday sales.

It's no surprise they're all heavily reduced at the end of the year, I believe the 2022 Reds training shorts went down to $20 and the singlet was $25 via the Reds shop last month.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I know it's not just rugby, but it's interesting how expensive things like 'official training gear' has become. Maybe to cover the costs of all the excess gear they hand out to the players?? I fondly remember when a family member played for the Reds ten odd years ago, not because he was part of the team, but I still have half a dozen training shorts from the Kooga era that he gave me.

People can now buy good quality stuff online for literally 1/3 that price. I picked up 5 pairs of shorts and 5 gym shirts from Under Armour for $130 on the Black Friday sales.

It's no surprise they're all heavily reduced at the end of the year, I believe the 2022 Reds training shorts went down to $20 and the singlet was $25 via the Reds shop last month.
Yeah I only ever buy my Reds gear at the end of season sale.... $30 for a media polo makes so much more sense to me

Got lucky a few seasons ago in buying the maroon jersey we used as a one off.

We then went back to maroon since so haven't felt the need to replace it :p

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The old Bank of NSW as the Reds primary sponsor will never not be amusing
I used to like being at Ballymore, when teams had their area names, used to hear the Qld Reds sponsored by Canterbury Apparel, playing Canterbury Crusaders.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Barring the front row, I’m actually pretty excited to see how we fair. Quite a few players with a point to prove in a World Cup year.
This would be my best 23 based on the current state of things:

1. Dane Zander
2. Matt Faessler
3. Sef Fa’agase
4. Ryan Smith
5. Luke Jones
6. Liam Wright
7. Fraser McReight
8. Harry Wilson
9. Tate McDermott
10. James O’Connor
11. Filipo Daugunu
12. Hunter Paisami
13. Jordan Petaia
14. Suliasi Vunivalu
15. Jock Campbell
RESERVES
16. Richie Asiata
17. Zane Nongoor
18. Phransis Sula-Siaosi
19. Angus Blyth
20. Seru Uru
21. Kalani Thomas
22. Lawson Creighton
23. Josh Flook

Would also love to see the Reds A come back and play against NSW Gen Blue, Brumby Runners, Rebel Rising for some more exposure.
That would leave us with:

2. Josh Nasser
4. Wilson Blyth
5. Lopeti Faifua
6. Connor Vest
7. Connor Anderson
8. Keynan Tauakipulu
9. Spencer Jeans
10. Tom Lynagh
11. Floyd Aubrey
12. Isaac Henry
14. Ben Navosailagi
15. Mac Grealy

16. George Blake
19. Taine Riori
20. Nick Baker
21. Louis Werchon
22. Harry McLaughlin-Phillips
23. Joey Fittock

The rest to be filled up with the best club and academy players

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - Tupou is a big hole, and Stewart is a loss but with Flook’s form and if Henry stays fit then I think it is just front row that will be an issue. Big problems there if we get a couple of injuries. Everywhere else I actually think we might be stronger than last year if you consider we missed Salakai-Loto for a big portion of the season.

It’ll be interesting to see where Luke Jones is at, but I’d probably have Uru starting at lock.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Interesting some people think we will be better than last year. I think the opposite.

We are running out essentially the same team but without Taniela, Mafi and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).

Zander is not Super Rugby standard, JOC (James O'Connor) is on the way down and Daugunu, Paisami and Vunivalu look to have staggered their progression.

Uru and Campbell probably the two players who will be better in 2023. Aside from that I reckon it’ll be a lean year.

TheGhostWhoWalks

Allen Oxlade (6)
Barring the front row, I’m actually pretty excited to see how we fair. Quite a few players with a point to prove in a World Cup year.
This would be my best 23 based on the current state of things:

1. Dane Zander
2. Matt Faessler
3. Sef Fa’agase
4. Ryan Smith
5. Luke Jones
6. Liam Wright
7. Fraser McReight
8. Harry Wilson
9. Tate McDermott
10. James O’Connor
11. Filipo Daugunu
12. Hunter Paisami
13. Jordan Petaia
14. Suliasi Vunivalu
15. Jock Campbell
RESERVES
16. Richie Asiata
17. Zane Nongoor
18. Phransis Sula-Siaosi
19. Angus Blyth
20. Seru Uru
21. Kalani Thomas
22. Lawson Creighton
23. Josh Flook

Would also love to see the Reds A come back and play against NSW Gen Blue, Brumby Runners, Rebel Rising for some more exposure.
That would leave us with:

2. Josh Nasser
4. Wilson Blyth
5. Lopeti Faifua
6. Connor Vest
7. Connor Anderson
8. Keynan Tauakipulu
9. Spencer Jeans
10. Tom Lynagh
11. Floyd Aubrey
12. Isaac Henry
14. Ben Navosailagi
15. Mac Grealy

16. George Blake
19. Taine Riori
20. Nick Baker
21. Louis Werchon
22. Harry McLaughlin-Phillips
23. Joey Fittock

The rest to be filled up with the best club and academy players
You are kidding yourself picking Petaia over Flook.