• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Trevor King and Charlie Wigan, the latest two from the Downs front row production line.
Not to take away at all from DDowns contribution to Trevor King’s development but he is a product of Onehunga Mata’auiu’s rugby skills Academy from CQ. As is Theo Fourie and pretty sure Noah Hartley. One is also Lucas Ripley’s uncle and I understand heavily involved in his development. There are also two girls from Gladstone at Downlands that One helped develop. I believe his links to Garrick Morgan have helped direct a few that way.

Edit - should clarify not all of the above are Downlands boys.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
who’s the big unit next to Wilson Blyth, looks to be a prop?
D732CE82-6357-4709-B3BE-6E16809E9C2D.jpeg

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Hooker:

Max Craig

Baguio Johnson-Tiumalu

Props:

Nick Bloomfield

Harry Bell

Harrison Usher

Trevor King

Charlie Wigan

Locks:

Charlie Brosnan

Ben Daniels

Backrow:

Nick Baker

John Bryant

Joe Liddy

George Stoddart

Sam Mataafa

Scrumhalves:

Willem Johnstone

Flyhalves:

Harry McLaughlin-Phillips

Finn Prass

Centres:

Tim Ryan

Dre Pakeho

Back 3:

Jarrod Homan

Matt Brice

Will McCulloch
Is the academy made up of the same proportions of each position each year or does it change depending on future estimates of what will be required?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Looks like Peni Ravai. I believe he’s been playing in Clermont.
Not a bad shout.

I'm think Lolo - formers reds and brumbies. Left Japanese rugby, was schooled in Brisbane. This is an old photo - perhaps training with the squad or mass gaining for a future as a prop lol

1671347645985.png

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)

Phil Blake was brought on as a defense coach & Australia had the best defense at the 2011 RWC.

Bizarrely the 2011 end of season review was followed by his non-renewal....

Deans doesn't play well with others who do the job better than he does.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not a bad shout.

I'm think Lolo - formers reds and brumbies. Left Japanese rugby, was schooled in Brisbane. This is an old photo - perhaps training with the squad or mass gaining for a future as a prop lol

Last I had heard, Lolo stepped away from professional rugby last year and was going a bit MIA, for example being listed to play in various charity games, committing, and then not rocking up.

Happy to stand corrected if my information is out of date, but I’d be surprised if he’s back training with the Reds based on what I had heard.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Last I had heard, Lolo stepped away from professional rugby last year and was going a bit MIA, for example being listed to play in various charity games, committing, and then not rocking up.

Happy to stand corrected if my information is out of date, but I’d be surprised if he’s back training with the Reds based on what I had heard.
That's dissapointing.

This guy seems too old be any of the academy players so interesting to know who it ACTUALLY is.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
It is Peni Ravai as the whisperer guessed correctly.

Interesting, my mail I posted a few weeks ago about the Reds possibly looking at Kirwan Sanday coming back was kinda correct. They just assumed it was Kirwan as were told the Reds had been talking to an older Fijian prop who had an Australian association. Kirwan just happened to have mentioned he was going to be returning to QPR that same week.

Peni is the same age, position etc. but has a much deeper resume and obviously still currently active as a professional. Definitely a ready to go replacement for the guys out injured.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Would make more sense thank Lolo.

Peni has a bit of the Tupou about him.

Doesn’t he just.

I don’t know anything about him and it’s always a mistake to get too excited about a highlight reel but he would seem to tick a lot of the right boxes -
- test rugby standard rather than a rookie
- would add some explosiveness to our pack which would provide some balance

Hopefully we’ll see some good news in this space.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I wouldn't be surprised if Lolo has moved back to Auckland to be closer to his siblings, with his older brother and sister serving lengthy sentences over NZ's largest meth importation...