• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
saw him just before Xmas and he'd had another little clean up which probably delays him a bit.

Reds have signed Ethan Dobbins on some sort of contract which probably helps cover him a bit
Any news on additional prop signings Reg?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Did the reds sign any school leaver front row options (not that they’d be ready for a super rugby cap)

it would be nice to keep an eye on the next gen talent running around in colts rugby

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Did the reds sign any school leaver front row options (not that they’d be ready for a super rugby cap)

it would be nice to keep an eye on the next gen talent running around in colts rugby

yep:

Tier One Academy squad named:

Buildcorp Reds Academy 2023 – Tier One Squad
Nick Baker | GPS | Marist College Ashgrove | GPS | Queensland U19s & Junior Wallabies
Harry Bell | Bond University | St Joseph’s College | Australia U18s
Nick Bloomfield | Easts | Anglican Church Grammar School | Easts | Queensland U18s, Queensland U19s & Australia U18s

Matt Brice | University of Queensland | Good Shepherd Lutheran College | Noosa Dolphins
Charlie Brosnan | Brothers | Easts | Anglican Church Grammar School | Brothers | Queensland U18s & Australia U18s
John Bryant | Souths | St Laurence’s College | Souths | Queensland U19s
Max Craig | Easts | Anglican Church Grammar School | Easts | Queensland U19s & Junior Wallabies
Ben Daniels | Brothers | Anglican Church Grammar School | Cloncurry Bulls | Queensland U18s and Australia U18s
Jarrod Homan | Easts | Brisbane Boys College | Maitland Blacks | Queensland U19s
Baguio Johnson-Tiumalu | Wests | St Peter’s Lutheran College | Forest Lake Wasps
Willem Johnstone | Souths | St Joseph’s Nudgee College | Maroochydore Swans | Queensland U19s
Trevor King | Souths | Downlands College | Gladstone Rugby Club | Queensland U18s & Australia U18s
Joe Liddy | Easts | St Joseph’s College Gregory Terrace | Easts | Queensland U18s & Australia U18s
Sam Mataafa | Souths | Padua College | Sunnybank
Will McCulloch | Norths | Padua College | Queensland U18s, Queensland U19s & Australia U18s
Harry McLaughlin-Phillips | Souths | Brisbane Boys College | Gunnedah Red Devils | Queensland U18s, Queensland U19s & Australia U18s
Dre Pakeho | Brothers | Anglican Church Grammar School | Norths | Queensland U18s & Australia U18s
Finn Prass | Brothers | Sunshine Coast Grammar School | Grammar Lions Rugby Club | Queensland U18s
Tim Ryan | Brothers | St Patrick’s College | Queensland U19s
George Stoddart | Easts | Anglican Church Grammar School | Easts | Queensland U19s
Harrison Usher | Bond University | The Kings School, NSW | Northern Barbarians Rugby Club | Queensland U19s
Charlie Wigan | University of Queensland | Toowoomba Grammar School | Toowoomba Prep Rugby Club | Queensland U19s

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
From very limited viewing, I thought both those boys looked pretty impressive in the u18s last year. From memory the Reds scrum was impressive. Good pick ups.

But, yeah, doesn’t help us this year.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Harrison Usher and Charlie Wigan are props also aren’t they? I heard Reds were chasing a NSW U20s prop as well, mustn’t have moved though

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Lack of Queensland based rugby journalists to stimulate discussion in the post News Corp rugby blackout
The GC Bulletin still writes about rugby, couple of stories in this weekend about the local comp. The Sunshine Coast local papers and regional TV news also do quite a few pieces on local rugby. It’s Brisbane that misses out with the 9/ Stan link one of the few that give rugby some air time.

Well done the regionals!

32C65DC4-CEA1-44AE-9868-11A0254769B5.jpeg

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I find it a bit odd the level to which Qld seems to have diminished in people’s calculations.

Tupou’s loss is massive - no doubt. And the injuries to Hoopert and Nasser also significant as it takes out what conceivably could have been our starting front row.

Is there any other spot though that, at this stage, we aren’t at least as strong or stronger? I’d prefer to have LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) & ASY (Angus Scott-Young) still on our books - but neither featured that much last year so I will confess I am discounting their value a bit. Luke Jones is a good pick up. Stewart is a loss, but Paisami & Flook are both excellent and Henry appears pretty handy too. A fit and firing O’Connor & Vunivalu would be a big plus. Phil Blake would appear a great addition to the coaching group and Heenan appears well and truly to have earned his step up.

We need to be better than last year - no doubt - but it would appear to me that is entirely possible.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I find it a bit odd the level to which Qld seems to have diminished in people’s calculations.

Tupou’s loss is massive - no doubt. And the injuries to Hoopert and Nasser also significant as it takes out what conceivably could have been our starting front row.

Is there any other spot though that, at this stage, we aren’t at least as strong or stronger? I’d prefer to have LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) & ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young) still on our books - but neither featured that much last year so I will confess I am discounting their value a bit. Luke Jones is a good pick up. Stewart is a loss, but Paisami & Flook are both excellent and Henry appears pretty handy too. A fit and firing O’Connor & Vunivalu would be a big plus. Phil Blake would appear a great addition to the coaching group and Heenan appears well and truly to have earned his step up.

We need to be better than last year - no doubt - but it would appear to me that is entirely possible.

Tupou is a massive loss, likewise Hooperts injury. That is probably the starting prop pair gone, that alone could derail the season. A lot of pressure on Zander, Fa’agase and Nonngor to step up.

I’m with you on LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and ASY (Angus Scott-Young), they are a loss, but I think they'll be offset with the Jones signing and even Wright returning from injury. I’ve been impressed with Smiths and Blythe development the past 12 months also.

Scrums aside, I think the Reds will be an improvement on last year. But happy for the Brumbies and Waratahs fans to claim the pre-season championship

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tupou is a massive loss for sure. But it's not dire. Its definitely exacerbated by the other prop injuries.

We lose his game breaking runs, but we can work around that. It's not as if we have to find another THP to make those runs. We just have to change our attack structures as a team. And the coaches will have time to plan for that. He's a dynamic scrummager but gives away heaps of penalties, so we just have to work for a strong scrum. His defense is questionable at times, so hopefully our replacement can be stronger there.

I don't know who is the preference for the 3 jersey now but I do hope ZOnggorr gets some regular game time.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Who will provide that X-factor in the forwards now?

For all their perceived laziness at times, it was mostly Tupou and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) who would take it on their shoulders to bend the gain line in tight. Wilson seems to prefer that space a bit wider.

I think Uru could be the key contributor in terms of getting us on the front foot. But unfortunately I’m not sure he even cracks the starting team, depending on the balance they’re going for.

If our forwards can set a good platform, I can see lots of ball making it out to Flook, Campbell and hopefully a firing Vunivalu, that will cause headaches.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
The big question mark for me this year is 10. Will JOC (James O'Connor) find redemption for a second time, will Creighton cement his spot for a couple of years, or will neither fire and the Reds roll the dice with Lynagh?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I’d reckon Wilson will have a point to prove, and will happily take up any slack due to the absence of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Tupou

Yep, I hope for the Reds sake he has a cracker and plays himself into the Wallabies squad for RWC. Harry (and his brother Will) are great blokes, really well liked in rugby circles and very social. Harry has been pretty vocal about some of the disappointments the last few years have brought him selection wise.

Had a beer with a former Reds coach over the holidays and their opinion is Rennie’s biggest selection misstep (of which there are numerous) has actually been not fostering a good relationship with Wilson and keeping him within the Wallabies environment. You’ve got a 23yr old kid essentially, still growing into his frame and honing his craft, has proven he can already match it with the All Blacks and then gets left out to dry in back to back campaigns.

Anyway, a conversation for another thread.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
For the front-row, I forget Peni Ravai is still training with the Reds and I’m guessing will pick up a contract by the start of the season.

He is an explosive player, LHP primarily but can play both sides, if fit he will be on the bench at least.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
For the front-row, I forget Peni Ravai is still training with the Reds and I’m guessing will pick up a contract by the start of the season.

He is an explosive player, LHP primarily but can play both sides, if fit he will be on the bench at least.

What would be the hold up? Based on prior posts he was medically retired, so I’m guessing medical clearance?

It seems obvious the Reds want to pickup an experienced prop, I mentioned pre Christmas they had even sounded out a recently returned from retirement Kirwan Sanday, but Ravai is a much better player.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The big question mark for me this year is 10. Will JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) find redemption for a second time, will Creighton cement his spot for a couple of years, or will neither fire and the Reds roll the dice with Lynagh?
I would start Creighton this season with JOC (James O'Connor) from the bench and hope that by seasons end we are able to have Lynagh on the bench and getting some time at 10.

With JOC (James O'Connor) getting closer to the end of his Reds career we need to get something happening in the 10 position for the future or we will have a dismal few years ahead.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
The big question mark for me this year is 10. Will JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) find redemption for a second time, will Creighton cement his spot for a couple of years, or will neither fire and the Reds roll the dice with Lynagh?
Hamish Stewart & Josh Flook have the most potential there and should ideally be developed as the next 10's after O'Connor. Both of them like Paisami, are too small to excel in the midfield at international level (hell, even Brian O'Driscoll would be significantly less effective today at 93kg considering the direction the game has trended at elite level) but both of them are natural playmakers and former schoolboy first-fives I believe.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hamish Stewart and Josh Flook should be developed as the next 10's after O'Connor. Both of them like Paisami, are too small to excel in the midfield at international level (hell, even Brian O'Driscoll would be way less effective in the midfield at 93kg considering the way the game has trended at elite level) but both of them are natural playmakers and former schoolboy first fives I believe.

Flook at 10????