• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I don’t think Thorn’s NZ links really have any relevance here. His coaching mentor is Bennett, not Deans. I don’t think a group of random similarities are really talking points - although fair play to your research skills to identify them.

Like their respective Governments, Queensland and Saitama also share a similar bond with a strong culture of community, connection and legacy instilled by head coaches Brad Thorn and Robbie Deans.

“This partnership is fantastic,” said Thorn.

“We’re sister states – there’s a connection there, and there’s a strong connection between Saitama Panasonic and the Queensland Reds.

“Also, with Robbie Deans my old mentor – the master, we’ve been friends for a long time now. I played under Deansy so there will always be a connection there.

“Robbie has done a wonderful job up here. Panasonic this year were undefeated and champions - there’s a real strength here.”

Thorn’s former coach at the Crusaders now turned coaching counterpart at the Panasonic Saitama Wild Knights explained a lot of work had gone into this partnership.

“It’s good to be able to put something together that will pass the test of time,” said Deans.

“Brad gets in – he understands what the game is about, and these two organisations are similar so this is an event that will run for a long time and these blokes are very lucky to be a part of this first one.”

"The dual-international acknowledges he has a long way to go as a coach, but is being mentored by a trio of rugby figures with a lot of pedigree - Robbie Deans, Joe Schmidt and Paul McLean."

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Agreed please. It’s tiresome
I kinda get it. I certainly didn’t mean to trigger the re-examination of Quade’s career when I posted a facetious remark about Quade v Foley last week.

But, having said that, it’s off season - does it really matter. If you don’t want to read it, scroll past it. There are plenty of conversations on here I don’t want to be part of. But that doesn’t mean no one else should get to have them.

It’s a public forum. No one is being offensive.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

Like their respective Governments, Queensland and Saitama also share a similar bond with a strong culture of community, connection and legacy instilled by head coaches Brad Thorn and Robbie Deans.

“This partnership is fantastic,” said Thorn.

“We’re sister states – there’s a connection there, and there’s a strong connection between Saitama Panasonic and the Queensland Reds.

“Also, with Robbie Deans my old mentor – the master, we’ve been friends for a long time now. I played under Deansy so there will always be a connection there.

“Robbie has done a wonderful job up here. Panasonic this year were undefeated and champions - there’s a real strength here.”

Thorn’s former coach at the Crusaders now turned coaching counterpart at the Panasonic Saitama Wild Knights explained a lot of work had gone into this partnership.

“It’s good to be able to put something together that will pass the test of time,” said Deans.

“Brad gets in – he understands what the game is about, and these two organisations are similar so this is an event that will run for a long time and these blokes are very lucky to be a part of this first one.”

"The dual-international acknowledges he has a long way to go as a coach, but is being mentored by a trio of rugby figures with a lot of pedigree - Robbie Deans, Joe Schmidt and Paul McLean."
Fair enough. I stand corrected. Although to my recollection he has made far more references to Bennett than Deans - but can’t argue with Thorn’s own words.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I kinda get it. I certainly didn’t mean to trigger the re-examination of Quade’s career when I posted a facetious remark about Quade v Foley last week.

But, having said that, it’s off season - does it really matter. If you don’t want to read it, scroll past it. There are plenty of conversations on here I don’t want to be part of. But that doesn’t mean no one else should get to have them.

It’s a public forum. No one is being offensive.

No-one is worried about the discussion being on a public forum. It's about diverting the thread. Again. And some of the stuff being said is offensive - unsubstantiated and uncorroborated claims about impact on key players etc. And this myopic compulsion to bring Deans into anything and everything.

Not saying you have started things, TSR, but if you want a thread on this stuff - just start it.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Happy to scroll past, but Reds 2023 season that starts this weekend with a trial game in Perth.. plenty to discuss there
Fair enough - also happy to be redirected.

Hoping to see Lynagh again: liked what I saw last year. Keen to see how he has kicked in. The other big points of interest to me are Petaia & Campbell (which I assume we won’t see), whether Daugunu can get back to the sparkling form he first showed and Isaac Henry.

And Peni Revai. Based entirely on the approx 6 minute YouTube highlights clip I’ve watch I’ve formed the very firm view that he will be a good get (assuming we have actually got him).

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Isaac Henry should be a shoe-in at 12, he's the only guy in the squad with the necessary size & attributes to excel there. Look at the effect Jordie Barrett's extra height & frame had on the All Black's midfield. Henry is a bit of what's sorely needed at 12 amongst a relatively undersized Reds backline. In recent seasons the backline has looked unbalanced, especially against the larger and more physical NZ backs. Isaac would mitigate that somewhat, along with a hopefully fit Vunivalu and Petaia in the back three for 2023.

Last edited:

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Isaac Henry should be a shoe-in at 12, he's the only guy in the squad with the necessary size & attributes to excel there. Look at the effect Jordie Barrett's extra height & frame had on the All Black's midfield. Henry is a bit of what's sorely needed at 12 amongst a relatively undersized Reds backline. In recent seasons the backline has looked unbalanced, especially against the larger and more physical NZ backs. Isaac would mitigate that somewhat.
Paisami is (probably deservedly) the incumbent, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Henry’s the regular starter by season’s end. Fingers crossed they can both stay fit - it’ll be a great battle.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Isaac Henry should be a shoe-in at 12, he's the only guy in the squad with the necessary size & attributes to excel there. Look at the effect Jordie Barrett's extra height & frame had on the All Black's midfield. Henry is a bit of what's sorely needed at 12 amongst a relatively undersized Reds backline. In recent seasons the backline has looked unbalanced, especially against the larger and more physical NZ backs. Isaac would mitigate that somewhat, along with a hopefully fit Vunivalu and Petaia in the back three for 2023.

should he invest in regular headgear?

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Paisami is (probably deservedly) the incumbent, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Henry’s the regular starter by season’s end. Fingers crossed they can both stay fit - it’ll be a great battle.
Paisami is a 13, he doesn't work at 12. Both Thorn & Rennie had to learn that the hard way unfortunately...

Last edited:

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Paisami is a 13, he doesn't work at 12. Both Thorn & Rennie learnt that the hard way.

Tend to agree - but I generally find him underwhelming at the moment.

Paisami probably one of the biggest development disappointments for me in the last few years. He really came onto the scene and looked the goods in that 2020 Bleds test that ended in a draw.

Hasn't kicked on like I thought he would.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)

Paisami probably one of the biggest development disappointments for me in the last few years. He really came onto the scene and looked the goods in that 2020 Bleds test that ended in a draw.

Yep great assessment.
For mine he is too fixated with the one off big play that will make the highlight reel on youtube.
Would love to do things more often during a game . More ball carries and more dominant tackles. Less kicking

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Development disappointment. Are you having a laugh? The bloke was playing club rugby in 2019. Made his Reds and Wallabies debut the year after. His trajectory might have slowed but the bloke has turned into a really good Super Rugby player and a solid test player.

Not many Reds stood out in the back half of Super Rugby in 2022.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought Pasiami pulled it back a notch in 2022 and tried to be a bit more considered in his play - fewer run-it-straights, fewer grubbers behind the line, a bit more distribution, etc. It probably meant he was less effective than what we've seen previously, but I think it shows development in his game.

Obviously adapting play style is a big task, and he by no means nailed it last year (injury didn't help), but I'm hoping he's found the balance for this year.