• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Development disappointment. Are you having a laugh? The bloke was playing club rugby in 2019. Made his Reds and Wallabies debut the year after. His trajectory might have slowed but the bloke has turned into a really good Super Rugby player and a solid test player.

Not many Reds stood out in the back half of Super Rugby in 2022.
Yeah strange take, he has had a massive surge in development, his improvement between 2020 and 2021 was quite frankly incredible. He has hit a ceiling last 18months though

Reactions: TSR

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah strange take, he has had a massive surge in development, his improvement between 2020 and 2021 was quite frankly incredible. He has hit a ceiling last 18months though
I do think he's been working hard on the breadth of his game - improving some of his lagging skills around play-making and tactical kicking, and it makes his development look a bit static as it's both less flashy and obvious, and puts some of his traditional strengths on the back burner. Excited to see if he can bring it all together this year.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

So how is it a strange take if you agree he's hit a ceiling the last 18months?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Development disappointment. Are you having a laugh? The bloke was playing club rugby in 2019. Made his Reds and Wallabies debut the year after. His trajectory might have slowed but the bloke has turned into a really good Super Rugby player and a solid test player.

Not many Reds stood out in the back half of Super Rugby in 2022.

The way Paisami progressed put him in the prime position to take the 12/13 spot fulltime at both club and national level, particularly with Kerevi's absences, but he hasn't kicked on to reach those heights.

The fact that people are considering whether the 2023 Reds best centre combo even includes Paisami just shows how much his development has stalled over the past two seasons. Same as Daugunu. Or do you want me to join his fan club as well?

Never said Paisami was a bad player by any means, but whether it's him reaching his ceiling or the playstyle of the Reds and the role they've wanted him to play, he's dropped down from where I think he should be.

And yep, he was playing club rugby in 2019, but don't act like the bloke magically appeared out of nowhere. He played in the NRC, starting with the Rebels Rising in 2017 and then onto Brisbane City. He was in 'the system'.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The fact that people are considering whether the 2023 Reds best centre combo even includes Paisami just shows how much his development has stalled over the past two seasons. Same as Daugunu. Or do you want me to join his fan club as well?
Are people actually debating that? As far as I can tell it's a question of Henry-Paisami or Paisami-Flook (maybe Paisami-Petaia), I may of missed it but I don't think I've seen anyone legitimately advocating for a combo that doesn't include Paisami.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Both points have elements of truth.

He had a very fast rise after initially being told he was too small but you could also say he has regressed from his late 2020 form. Teams would have definitely learnt how to play him and he’s become very predictable with the highlight play attempt.

Having said this he’d be a starter in almost every Australian Super Rugby side.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Are people actually debating that? As far as I can tell it's a question of Henry-Paisami or Paisami-Flook (maybe Paisami-Petaia), I may of missed it but I don't think I've seen anyone legitimately advocating for a combo that doesn't include Paisami.

I think there is a fair few of us who think it could be Henry - Flook, particularly if JOC (James O'Connor) goes down and isn’t kicking for goal

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Because you said he has been a development disappointment the past 3 years. He hadn’t debuted for Queensland 3 years ago

1. I never said 3 years, I didn’t even say a specific number. I said last few years.

2. Even if I had put a specific number on it, he played for the Reds in seasons 2020, 21 and 22, I believe that’s 3 years.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
1. I never said 3 years, I didn’t even say a specific number. I said last few years.

2. Even if I had put a specific number on it, he played for the Reds in seasons 2020, 21 and 22, I believe that’s 3 years.
yes he debuted less then 3 years ago.

he wasn’t even in the full time reds squad this time 3 years ago, he was in the wider training squad. For that reason I think it’s a strange take to say Paisami has been a development disappointment.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
yes he debuted less then 3 years ago.

he wasn’t even in the full time reds squad this time 3 years ago, he was in the wider training squad. For that reason I think it’s a strange take to say Paisami has been a development disappointment.

Okay - he’s played 37 games for the Reds across three seasons, as well as 17 tests for the Wallabies. I think that’s a large enough sample size to make an assessment of him.

Blokes have been crucified on these forums for a lot less.

I don’t think my assessment that his development plateaued rather quickly after coming onto the scene in 2020 for the both the Reds and Wallabies is overly unique.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
^^^^ All seems a bit nit-picky.for what seemed like a pretty "broad stroke" statement imo. (Not you, Phil)

Fwiw, I think he's been pretty strong considering other teams have naturally adapted to what he does in attack and defence so he's had to broaden his play styles. They are double teaming him in defence in some instances.

What's really noticeable though is the very second any team let's their guard down he still punishes, heavily. It's just not as often.

That's just a gut feel though.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Mate not crucifying anyone, I just don’t think Paisami is a good example for being a development disappointment given how far he has come. Watch his NRC games in 2019.

plenty of others fit that bill like Zander and Fotuaika in the front row, and even Daugunu in the backs has regressed in explosiveness and speed the last 2 season IMO.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I do think he's been working hard on the breadth of his game - improving some of his lagging skills around play-making and tactical kicking, and it makes his development look a bit static as it's both less flashy and obvious, and puts some of his traditional strengths on the back burner. Excited to see if he can bring it all together this year.
I think he is trying to prove he has more to his game than just running and tackling hard.

I preferred it when he just tried the very occasional surprise cut out pass or kick behind the defence, it worked because it was a surprise (and his talent) but he started to over do it.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I just think his decision making lets him down.

But I thought he was generally excellent for the Reds last year. I know that wasn’t the consensus. I remember calls on here for him to be benched. I never understood why. He overplayed his hand occasionally and missed a few tackles but I thought he was still pretty good.

His hit on Nic White was a season highlight.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think he is trying to prove he has more to his game than just running and tackling hard.

I preferred it when he just tried the very occasional surprise cut out pass or kick behind the defence, it worked because it was a surprise (and his talent) but he started to over do it.
I know very little about his background - but I wonder if it is largely because the expanded decision making he is now asked to do is only a relatively new thing. I imagine for a long time he was just expected to carry hard and crunch people. Playmaking isn’t natural - but he’s still had plenty of good mixed in with the bad.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I will advocate for it.

Here is my partial team, I know I am the only one who would want to see it on the field but I am just picking players I enjoy watching, this is not a team I think will be selected although last season my team of favourites was pretty damn close.

I have not tried to pick a front row as I am unsure of who is available due to injuries.

4- Smith
5- Blythe
6- Wright
7- McReight (c)
8- Wilson

9- McDermott
10- Creighton
11- Daugunu
12 Henry
13- Flook
14- Vunivalu
15- Campbell

19- Uru
20- Jones
21- JOC (James O'Connor)
22- Petaia
23- Thomas

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Pragmatically I can’t go past a backline of;

9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Vunivalu
12. Henry
13. Paisami
14. Petaia
15. Campbell

21. Jeans
22. Creighton
23. Flook

Although I really want to see how an inside back combo of Lynagh-Henry would go, I think they would be quite complementary for each other.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
I will advocate for it.

Here is my partial team, I know I am the only one who would want to see it on the field but I am just picking players I enjoy watching, this is not a team I think will be selected although last season my team of favourites was pretty damn close.

I have not tried to pick a front row as I am unsure of who is available due to injuries.

4- Smith
5- Blythe
6- Wright
7- McReight (c)
8- Wilson

9- McDermott
10- Creighton
11- Daugunu
12 Henry
13- Flook
14- Vunivalu
15- Campbell

19- Uru
20- Jones
21- JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)
22- Petaia
23- Thomas
Both Daugunu and Vunivalu over Petaia is a pretty bold call given recent form