• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Both Daugunu and Vunivalu over Petaia is a pretty bold call given recent form
I would definitely have Dauganu in the 15, and if Vunivalu doesn't start, I would drop him from the squad as I dont see him as a bench option as he has only played at wing.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I would definitely have Dauganu in the 15, and if Vunivalu doesn't start, I would drop him from the squad as I dont see him as a bench option as he has only played at wing.

All of this pre-supposes a view that what has been seen in last years games is reflected in preseason training. Personally I hope he's training the house down.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
All of this pre-supposes a view that what has been seen in last years games is reflected in preseason training. Personally I hope he's training the house down.
You’d hope they all are. you’d assume one thing Thorn has brought to the Reds is some high expectations with regards to work ethic at training.

Flook’s emergence pushed Daugunu down the pecking order a bit. Will be interesting to see where he stands now.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
It will be interesting to see how the Reds play style changes.

I remember Kerevi was such a focal point of the Reds gameplan, moreso than Taniela ever was. But when he left, the Reds actually played with a bit more structure, width and generally were very good.

Taniela is obviously a key offensive weapon on the field and especially close to the try line, a lot of their scoring plays were around him. Here's hoping they can adapt positively.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
But all that changed when Jones singled out Vunivalu during a radio interview in Brisbane on Tuesday, naming the 27-year-old in a potential world-class back line.

“There’s a lot of good players in Australian rugby, you just look at the back line Australia could potentially have: [Samu] Kerevi, when he’s fit, [Len] Ikitau as centres; on the wing you’ve got [Marika] Koroibete, the Melbourne Storm boy Vunivalu on the wing, competing against ... [Andrew] Kellaway,” Jones said.
Jones appeared to wipe the slate clean on Rennie’s selections, also mentioning Queensland players Tate McDermott (“every time I’ve seen him play for the Wallabies he’s made a difference to the game”), Harry Wilson (“a good physical player”) and Fraser McReight (“a very handy player”).

But it was the mention of Vunivalu that was significant, especially as the Reds back is off contract at the end of this year.
This is quite interesting, but maybe should be read with a grain of salt as he was speaking in Brisbane.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
This is quite interesting, but maybe should be read with a grain of salt as he was speaking in Brisbane.

For Vunivalu to get picked he has probably the hardest road ahead of him.

I think Kellaway, Koro and Marky Marky are the obvious choices currently ahead of him.

And Petaia and Wright are also currently ahead of him but maybe not to the same degree as the others.

Add to that a bloke like Daugunu who has been there before and could push himself back into selection picture.

Vunivalu no doubt has a skill set that some of the others don’t quite have in terms of pure athleticism, but it will also require the Reds to utilise him in order to demonstrate that.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
For Vunivalu to get picked he has probably the hardest road ahead of him.

I think Kellaway, Koro and Marky Marky are the obvious choices currently ahead of him.

And Petaia and Wright are also currently ahead of him but maybe not to the same degree as the others.

Add to that a bloke like Daugunu who has been there before and could push himself back into selection picture.

Vunivalu no doubt has a skill set that some of the others don’t quite have in terms of pure athleticism, but it will also require the Reds to utilise him in order to demonstrate that.
I think your last paragraph is important. To my eyes Vunivalu certainly needs to lift his game.

But I didn’t feel like he was running the right lines for the Reds. Whether that is his fault, a fault of the attack strategy or a bit of both I have no idea - but he was often in the middle of the field when he should have been wide and vice versa. I don’t think we saw anywhere near enough of him at the end of a backline movement or on an inside line off a ball player.

If (and it may well be a big if) he can get his running lines and his hammys right then I think it will quickly flip the conversation.