• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies - RD10 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The offload that went to Tomane, it didn't eventuate into anything for the Brumbies but it could've easily been a 7 pointer.
Maybe, but I think all our candidates at 10 have deficiencies of different sorts, and all will and do make mistakes. The upside with Cooper playing like that far outweighs the bad. I get your point that intercept balls, if thrown repeatedly, are a potential chink that opposition can target, but Cooper plays so much footy so close to the defensive line, it will always be a possibility; but those marvellous flat passes do so much more damage at close quarters.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Matt To'omua goes off mccabe comes on brumbies on back foot for the rest of the game blow lead draw match.

Coincidence?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
No coincidence.
McCabe got the prop sin binned,and then whilst a man short,Mccabe kept allowing his team mates to infringe and ensure the Reds maintained possession and territory for the rest of the game.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Cooper was good but again a critical error: the offload that was intercepted. I know you think I'm harping on about this and it's all meaningless hate dribble but these are the types of errors that are just unacceptable at Test level. Imagine him doing that in a Lions test during a tight game that's being decided by penalties, North picks it up and runs away to score under the posts. They might be covered up in Super rugby and affordable but not in Tests. We cannot afford that. He needs to cut out the costly errors.

I agree he needs to reduce errors, but are you purposefully ignoring:

A) errors made by his competitors (eg Foley kick out on the full)
B) the basic skills that some of his competitors seem to lack (eg passing at the line, not 5m before it or ability to see space)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Foley, To'omua, JOC (James O'Connor)/Beale all make errors but rarely make critical ones like intercepts and charge downs, these often lead to opposition tries or excellent field position. I can live with the other kind of mistakes. Especially in Test matches where the pressure is turned up and opposition will target him for those type of errors. He hasn't shown anything to suggest he's trying to cut those out and is still willing to take the risks.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Maybe, but I think all our candidates at 10 have deficiencies of different sorts, and all will and do make mistakes. The upside with Cooper playing like that far outweighs the bad. I get your point that intercept balls, if thrown repeatedly, are a potential chink that opposition can target, but Cooper plays so much footy so close to the defensive line, it will always be a possibility; but those marvellous flat passes do so much more damage at close quarters.
sounds logical.
Except the good outweighs the bad at this level,with this style of play.
History confirms that it does not outweigh the bad at Test level, with RD's style of play.
If RD is coach then QC (Quade Cooper) should be in the stands with the rest of us.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Foley, To'omua, JOC (James O'Connor)/Beale all make errors but rarely make critical ones like intercepts and charge downs, these often lead to opposition tries or excellent field position. I can live with the other kind of mistakes. Especially in Test matches where the pressure is turned up and opposition will target him for those type of errors. He hasn't shown anything to suggest he's trying to cut those out and is still willing to take the risks.
But to be fair to him, Link has him playing a different way to how some would have him, or anyone, play Test rugby. Which is fair enough - he's trying to win a Super Rugby title, not a Test series. For me, one of the best things he did today was some of his tactical kicking, which is something we will need in Tests, whatever 10 we get.
I'd put him at the top of the list.
I like To'omua too, and Foley is getting better (but not quite in the mix really).

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
I thought tonight's game proved the Brumbies can win the competition. They showed they can play under immense pressure, and yet still refuse to lose.
agree
tonight's performance and result will be a huge psychological boost for this young team

Scotty

David Codey (61)
What do the neutrals think about the refereeing? Brumbies fans think the were hard done by, Reds fans (including me) point to all the times they were penalised or advantage was played within 10m of their goal line and wonder how they didn't receive another yellow in the last 15.

Was it fair reffing? We're some of the Brumbies indiscretions as blatant as the seemed at the ground and deserved further sanction?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think he just lost control of the breakdown. I did think, and comment, that he should have stomped on all the yapping from everyone but Mowen and Horwill, especially Genia, but also Moore, Holmes and a few others. The timing of losing control was when the Brumbies committed all those penalty offences. So yeah, probably a bit harder on Reds in a way, but not willfully so.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not the score either team wanted, but the end score was fitting for the 2 top team of the Comp.
The willing to play rugby and go for touch and play to the Reds strength of the line out was clear winner for the best team tonight. 3 trys to 1 showed that.

Mogg is a killer player and the Wallabies full back. Even after the Tah's freak win last night due to a poor Chiefs team. The Wallabies wont be dominated by brumbies/Reds like it should be. That AFL player the Tah's has, had 1 good game 10 weeks into the Comp and I bet because he wears blue Jumper he will be ahead of Mogg who is Clearly the best Full back in Australia. And Mogg can Kick,Pass and Catch.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
What a game!

That was close to being a test match. Thought the Reds tried to play too much rugby - but in saying that, they did play more rugby and had a go. Coulda won it and probably shoulda won it, but just lacked that last 5% of composure.

Genia was a 7/10 this time instead of a genius 9/10. Horwill and Simmons were very good. Gill played well - his try was a bit lucky but Daley's (?) no-try earlier where the ball could not be seen was very unlucky.

I prefer Aussie rugby to Saffa-ball, but you can't deny the strength of the Brumbies. Their scrum was the stronger. Ben Mowen was inspirational and a real pest as captain. Mogg was dangerous whenever he got the ball. George Smith was George Smith.

All in all, it was an honourable draw. Link v Jake continues on!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not the score either team wanted, but the end score was fitting for the 2 top team of the Comp.
The willing to play rugby and go for touch and play to the Reds strength of the line out was clear winner for the best team tonight. 3 trys to 1 showed that.

Mogg is a killer player and the Wallabies full back. Even after the Tah's freak win last night due to a poor Chiefs team. The Wallabies wont be dominated by brumbies/Reds like it should be. That AFL player the Tah's has, had 1 good game 10 weeks into the Comp and I bet because he wears blue Jumper he will be ahead of Mogg who is Clearly the best Full back in Australia. And Mogg can Kick,Pass and Catch.
On the cans again, biggsy?

P

Paradox

Fark it, I'll take 2 points from Suncorp although I'd rather see Mowen for more tries than kicks. The Reds and Brumbies are pushing each other to new heights. Great for Aussie rugby.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What do the neutrals think about the refereeing? Brumbies fans think the were hard done by, Reds fans (including me) point to all the times they were penalised or advantage was played within 10m of their goal line and wonder how they didn't receive another yellow in the last 15.

Was it fair reffing? We're some of the Brumbies indiscretions as blatant as the seemed at the ground and deserved further sanction?
I thought the Brumbies were lucky to escape another one or two yellows.

P

Paradox

Onya Bigsy. Folau isn't an international 15 as he doesn't seem to kick amongst other things but I think he's good enough for the 22 as a backup winger. If he isn't going to play union next year, the Wallabies shouldn't select him.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
We might yet see both Mogg and Folau selected (it's a pity Speight is ineligible). In some ways the 14 and 15 can be considered two fullbacks. Positioned back on defence, yet potent in attack.

IMO, Diggers looks like the 11. But there's a while to go yet.....

P

Paradox

Disagree. I thought it proved what I said to a mate about 4 weeks ago - the Brumbies don't have the extra gear needed to win come finals time. Yes, they ground it out and defended well (with the help of multiple and blatant transgressions), but in reality the reds scored three tries and had another three disallowed. In reality the reds were the better team in all aspects of the game except for the scrum and arguably the lineout.

Spot the sour fan - the Reds get away with just as much and got some seriously lucky breaks. A couple of years back the Brumbies score 4 tries to 1 (or was it 2) and lost a game due to plenty of transgressions by the Reds. I believe the Reds won the comp that year. The Brumbies performances against the Tahs and Sharks have been then best this year of any Aussie side - particularly the Sharks game in the first 40. I don't think the Brumbies will win due to lack of experience but they've only dropped one game all year. Give them some credit. The Reds have plenty of wins this year but haven't buried anyone. Points difference reveals that.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
He shouldn't have been given the responsibility to do such an intense match, he looked out of sorts at the end. Blame SANZAR

Close but title has to go to Jonathon White. Chiefs vs Highlanders

Nothing will ever replace that performance as the worst ever.

Can't argue that one with you because although I remember there was a problem with White in that match, I can't remember enough of it.

It must have been really bad to have been worse than what we saw tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.