• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies - Super Rugby Round 7 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Samo came on while Higginbotham was bleeding, and while he worked hard in his ten minute cameo I wasn't too depressed to see Higgers jog back on.

At the ground Simmons looked a different player to the awkward teenager we've seen drifting around this season - lots of purpose and effect.

Beau also had his best game of the year.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
First off, I felt privileged to get Mr Timms' seat in the media box. That arse groove has really been worked into that seat...

And onto the game, the Reds seemed to appreciate playing at home again and it looked to help them settle down a touch to see them get only their 2nd win in Brisbane and first ever at Suncorp.

Sam Lane admitted he we very nervous when taking those early shots at penalty goal and said his legs were shaking from nerves but Quade helped him out with some tips to help him and also Will Genia helped him calm down.

The Brumbies were their own worst enemy with 27 or so turnovers for the match and found themselves trailing which is something they've spoken about this week to try and avoid. Giving the Reds a 14-0 start was never going to end well and once again they lost by 7 or less for the third time this season.

I thought Hooper not starting against Gill and Robinson was crucial and he should have come on at half time and not 10 minutes into the second half. Kimlin was guilty of trying too hard made some mistakes at crucial times or when the Brumbies had good field position.

You could say the bounce or pass of the ball proved the difference with this one. Moggs chip kick that went dead, Higginbothams close try, and Davies speculator pass for Higgers second try.

But hey, that is football!

For the Reds fans, Ewen Mackenzie said that of the injured brigade Mike Harris, Ben Lucas and Adam Wallace-Harrison were closest to returning, but didn't say if that meant the next game since they have the bye before their next game.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Which hamstring had Toua just come back from? Looked like he grabbed at his left after making a kick and was off straight after that.

Still happy we're back in business.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well that's a relief. Normal service has been restored.

I think the Brumbies would have been better served with their gameplan from last week - reckon they would have go the points

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Quite a good game to watch live, plenty of ball thrown around as well as the mandatory kick for territory stuff and pick and goes...

Reds back line still looks munted. Badly need their regulars back. Sam lane seemed to play pretty well once he settled in, although noticed him limping pretty badly at the end (and did he switch to the centers late in the game as well???). Davies just needs to back his pace and not stutter as he gets to the contact, if he is tackled into touch in the opposition 22, then the pressure is still on at the line out. Reds probably still have some serious confidence issues.

Brumbies will have a dynamite team in years to come, if not for the rest of this season.

Reds should have gone for the try at the end and (hopefully) get the bonus point and deny the brumbies the extra point lead. Again, lack of confidence would dictate the safe play option they chose.

Ref was consistent in his interpretations of the rucks. Given the state of play these days that is the best that can be hoped for.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Was going to write a bit about the game but Brumby Jack covered just about all I wanted to write.

Jake's tactics were no surprise with the team he picked. His pack outweighed a light Reds outfit by 40kgs and the Brumbies were always going to play directly. He left Hooper on the bench for too long and likewise delayed using width in his game for too long. As one of the commentators said early n the 2nd half: to win games you have to play footie.

In the end it was not that which lost the game but the 27 turnovers, many of which were from contact. It is OK to play a narrow game but you have to use techniques which protect the pill, otherwise you may as well dish it out and turn it over.

As Big Kev said after the game: the Reds have to improve a lot more. Future opponents won't turn over the pill so much, but it was a good step up from the crap of the last few weeks.

Jesse Mogg has been an eye opener for me this year. He wasn't so great tonight as he is not really a good footie player at the minute, but there is certain potential there. Nic White is a footie player and if he gets the young man's errors out of his game he could be anything in rugby. Tomane has really hit his straps hasn't he? Deans will have his name scribbled down on the back of one of his envelopes for future reference.

I thought Gill was terrific as was Hooper in his short stint. We can forgive Gill's carding as he doesn't yet have the feel of what referees will allow at this level down pat.

We have to keep watching this space on those two.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies still need to fix up the little errors which have costed them the past couple of weeks...

And still too much kicking...

When you've got the likes of Nic White, Lilo, McCabe, Tomane and Mogg in the backline you've got to make the most of it...

Once again, Lilo shows why he's been one of the most underrated players in Australia... and while I've criticised Tomane in other games for not being involved enough he really has stepped up a notch the past couple of weeks...

I wonder if this will be the end of the Vaea @ 7 experiment?

Just like against the Cheetahs there was instant improvement with Hooper's presence, but unfortunately too little too late...

Aside from Vaea I'd have the same XV next week...

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
The pointless kicks were frustrating, but the second try was epic. What a pass. They needed a win and got one, but the backs looked disjointed and not very dangerous most I the time. Lots of side to side that always looked sort of rote but uninspired. Higgs was awesome.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
I thought Gill was terrific as was Hooper in his short stint. We can forgive Gill's carding as he doesn't yet have the feel of what referees will allow at this level down pat.

He playing well thats for sure but he still shits me at the break down and his discipline.The Reds lost a great lead when he went off for 10.

Reido

Sydney Middleton (9)
Oh, the sweet delicious ironing...

The past year all we've heard is that Gill is the next Wallaby openside, and now that Hooper is performing better some people are really feeling put out...

The difference between last years comments about Gill and this years comments about Hooper are "Gill is a Wallaby of the future" compared to this years "Hooper is #2 to Pocock" - Correct me if I'm wrong but there is a BIG difference in those comments. Some people on this site wanted to see Gill go on the EOYT, but there is plenty of time for the young man and why rush him. He did well last year getting his feet wet with the Super15 and has made huge improvements this year over last year seeing 3 or 4 starts at 7 already and if he isn't starting, he's coming on around the 50 minute mark and doing well.

When did Canberra become a part of NZ? Dingo, do me a favour and start Hooper at 7 against the AB's so I can laugh in all the Brumbies fans faces who came up with this crap. Let's be real folks. Hooper needs more time just like all the other young players need time.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I was at game and couple of thoughts I had (that may get changed when I see replay on TV), thought Gill went well tonight, Lane seemed to settle as soon as he got sideline conversion, looked like he was starting to believe in himself and have the odd crack at defensive line. Also although Reds seemed to lack ball in second half, I thought it took until then for them to start to comminicate in defence. All in although wasn't a great game I thoroughly enjoyed it, specially after watching Canes game in Bar before kick off!!

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Hallelujah! Call it lucky, scrappy, unimaginative or whatever you will, a win is a win and what a relief for Reds supporters. The tactics employed by Link, to keep it out of the Red Zone and defend like buggery, were brave given the number of points scored against the team in recent weeks, and meant that there wasn't going to be much free flowing attack, but they worked in the end. Have to say all that kicking really annoyed me though.

Great to see a much more committed effort from the forward pack who got the points over the Brumbies eight. I thought Robinson worked hard and Gill's enthusiasm at the breakdown paid off, and again Higgers proved how key he is to the team. The Brumbies finished the stronger pack, largely due to the impact of Hooper when he came on. Gee he is a good player.

White outplayed Genia. Will looked uncertain and his option taking wasn't the best at times. Tomane was the other Brumbies back to impress. Very strong in contact and shed a number of defenders on the night. Mogg was well contained and copped a number of big hits but was still quite safe at the back.

I thought Tapuai had a great game and seems to have assumed a leadership role in the backs. He did some good things at crucial times for the Reds. The two new backline boys went well. Not the sort of game to showcase his attacking skills but Toua defended well at 13, and Lane was a gutsy and composed performer at 10. He definitely has potential.

The bye next week will be welcomed by the Reds, and it is nice to go into it with a win.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
I would not want to have called Higgers first try. We were behind the Posts, a bit toward that side of the field so pretty close, and as it happened it looked marginal, but I thought he might have got there, maybe because I wanted that he should have got there. You can't say he was definitely out, and he may well have been in, so that's how the call goes I guess.

The inside flick to him on the second try was a thing of beauty. Timed and directed perfectly while at full pace and about to get hammered. Them's some skills, and Higgers put himself in the perfect position to get it. People around me went nuts when that one got scored right in front of us. Noice.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I know it was very, very close, but did anyone else think Higgers' elbow went into touch before he grounded the ball? That'd be for his first try, not the second
Must have been "benefit of the doubt"because there looked to be a reasonable amount of doubt. Looked like a try in real time from where I was sitting, but the replays on the big screen were less conclusive.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Higginbotham was brilliant & no it wasn't a try he was definitely out how the TMO got that wrong I'll never know.

Good win coming off a long roadtrip & short turn around you can forgive them for running out of gas in the 2nd half.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Higginbotham was brilliant & no it wasn't a try he was definitely out how the TMO got that wrong I'll never know.

Good win coming off a long roadtrip & short turn around you can forgive them for running out of gas in the 2nd half.
That, and a try in the earlier game in NZ were both examples of extremely beneficial decisions made for the attacking team, and to my eye both looked plain wrong.
But a good effort from the Reds to win a match they could so easily have lost. As said, gives them momentum back with the bye coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.