• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies - Take 1

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I would have thought that the Brumbies would have rotated Frost and Scott for Swain and Reimer given the intensity of the last match/minutes played.

I'm glad to see Tua punted. He has offered zero in attack and missed a few critical tackles against the Tahs.
Admittedly Tua didn't seem to do much in the first two games, but he needs to be given some slack being his first two outings for the Brumbies. I'm sure he will show the benefits of being here later in the season. I am looking forward to seeing how Ollie shapes up in the 12 jersey. He's big enough to play the Kerevi style at 12 though not in the same league at present, but a hard running No 12 might just be what Noah needs to come good at 10.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Admittedly Tua didn't seem to do much in the first two games, but he needs to be given some slack being his first two outings for the Brumbies. I'm sure he will show the benefits of being here later in the season. I am looking forward to seeing how Ollie shapes up in the 12 jersey. He's big enough to play the Kerevi style at 12 though not in the same league at present, but a hard running No 12 might just be what Noah needs to come good at 10.
Really, I thought he looked about 10kg less than Kerevi, not sure what style you’d label his but didn’t seem Kerevi-esque

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Really, I thought he looked about 10kg less than Kerevi, not sure what style you’d label his but didn’t seem Kerevi-esque
Certainly he's not as big as Kerevi, but tops out over 100kg. That's big enough to make a dent in most backline defences running straight and hard off either the 10 or 15. Anyway, we'll see what Larkham has in mind for him this weekend.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Certainly he's not as big as Kerevi, but tops out over 100kg. That's big enough to make a dent in most backline defences running straight and hard off either the 10 or 15. Anyway, we'll see what Larkham has in mind for him this weekend.
His listed weight is 98kg, and we know how they can be. Reasonably lean for 196cm, and a very different composition to Kerevi. For comparison, Petaia is listed as 98kg and 190cm.

Can still bend a line, but I can’t see the similarity to Kerevi. As you said, we’ll see

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Said it much better than me - the talent ID and development of players is what I meant.

Brumbies didn’t sign 4 Wallaby hookers. 2 were U20 stars, sure, but they chose the Brumbies for a reason. The Lonergans are Canberra boys anyway, so let’s exclude them from this.

Fainga'a was working on a construction site, if I remember right, and decided to give rugby a proper crack and see what happened - there was another islander prop he’s mates with that made a pact together to have a proper go at it - Brumbies talent ID picked Fainga'a out and the development made him a Wallaby.

McInnerney was a journeyman who couldn’t get a gig in Aus, played in Europe for a bit then was ID’d by the Brumbies, put through Lord’s rugby university and boom, another Wallaby.

It’s such a consistent story that the other teams really should ask for advice on the structures and what is going on behind the scenes - Rugby Australia should be all ‘request and require’ all teams to a meeting to share the wisdom.
McInnerney is a canberra boy played for both Tuggeranong and royals.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Said it much better than me - the talent ID and development of players is what I meant.

Brumbies didn’t sign 4 Wallaby hookers. 2 were U20 stars, sure, but they chose the Brumbies for a reason. The Lonergans are Canberra boys anyway, so let’s exclude them from this.

Fainga'a was working on a construction site, if I remember right, and decided to give rugby a proper crack and see what happened - there was another islander prop he’s mates with that made a pact together to have a proper go at it - Brumbies talent ID picked Fainga'a out and the development made him a Wallaby.

McInnerney was a journeyman who couldn’t get a gig in Aus, played in Europe for a bit then was ID’d by the Brumbies, put through Lord’s rugby university and boom, another Wallaby.

It’s such a consistent story that the other teams really should ask for advice on the structures and what is going on behind the scenes - Rugby Australia should be all ‘request and require’ all teams to a meeting to share the wisdom.
It was BPA and Fainga'a I think. And they were both working as Garbos

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I really think the tight 5 is the difference - with the big outs the Reds have in these positions I think the Brumbies have a clear advantage here. I’m hopeful but I think we could get out muscled.

Reactions: dru

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Was just about to post this. Really is a massive loss with him off to Leicester
Yup, I get the desire to be a head coach but I would’ve thought the opportunity to spend 9 months as Eddie’s assistant through to the WC, learn everything he could and then go land a similar role after the WC might have been a better option.
His CV would certainly be more impressive if we managed to pull off the heist and he was part of it, and why would you not want to have a crack at potentially winning the RWC, learning from the most successful coach in that comps history?