• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Crusaders - Round 6

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Only watched the extended highlights where Tate appeared a bit, how was the rest of his game? Tate, Wilson & Petaia from this team?
My view from the ground was that those three really stood out as the Reds best. Looked like Tate's best game this year by some margin and he clearly showed the running threat he offers that make him pretty hard to ignore as the bench halfback for the wallabies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I fail to see what JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) could add to a Wallabies team/squad. Average at best tonight. Some ordinary options taken.
He is too slow and just shuffles the ball out to his backs.
Surely it is time to move on from him.
Those calling for his selection in the upcoming Wallabies squad are way off the mark.
JOC (James O'Connor) is at least in the country and playing. If we want or need an experienced head to help the youngsters coming through, he presently is the one.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My view from the ground was that those three really stood out as the Reds best. Looked like Tate's best game this year by some margin and he clearly showed the running threat he offers that make him pretty hard to ignore as the bench halfback for the wallabies.

Agreed. tate’s best game. And unfortunately Kalani’s worst from the bench. The team noticeably dropped off when he came on. Tate needed to play basically all that game for us to have any chance.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Bizarrely you’ve picked his best attacking game to call out this out. He made breaks out wide and through the middle. His support play was outstanding. His deft passing was dangerous all game. He clearly was using his footwork more closer to the defensive line. And as mentioned previously, those times he does just have to take the short hit up for the team, his ability to get quick recycled ball is first class.

It’s just a shame that blinkered perspectives don’t allow some people to see the true story.
Blinkered or rose coloured glasses Reg? I'm thinking he's somewhere in between the two perspectives. At 8 for the Wallabies, he's up agaonst Rob V and despite his undoubted terrific workrate, he just doesn't have the impact of Valetini. But his wide running would be a huge benefit at test level along with his workrate otherwise. I have long held the view, and still do, that he could be the Wallabies No 6. Funny thing though, Reds play Wilson at 8 and Brumbies play Valetini at 6. Arse about I say, and I know many here will raise the old chestnut of numbers on the back being meaningless.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
In regards to the Isaac Henry non pass to Flook…

I wonder if the cut out pass earlier to Vunivalu which wasn’t caught had Henry second guessing about spreading it… same direction passing too… maybe he didn’t trust his range with his hand brace

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tate's kicking game was not up to standard last night. Needs to do some work there.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
Agreed. tate’s best game. And unfortunately Kalani’s worst from the bench. The team noticeably dropped off when he came on. Tate needed to play basically all that game for us to have any chance.
From my perspective at the game, Kalani got to the ruck quickly but took an age to pass, which allowed the Crusaders defence time to reset.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
In regards to the Isaac Henry non pass to Flook…

I wonder if the cut out pass earlier to Vunivalu which wasn’t caught had Henry second guessing about spreading it… same direction passing too… maybe he didn’t trust his range with his hand brace
That non-pass was schoolboy stuff - wanting to be the hero and unacceptable at this level. He was pretty ordinary all game and should pay the penalty next week.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
That non-pass was schoolboy stuff - wanting to be the hero and unacceptable at this level. He was pretty ordinary all game and should pay the penalty next week.

the reds have a long history of inside centres that keep the ball and pin their ears back.

it’s not like Paisami or Kerevi are known for spreading it wide.

Had Henry made that pass I reckon we would of had a photo finish contest yet the reds lost by 13

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Bizarrely you’ve picked his best attacking game to call out this out. He made breaks out wide and through the middle. His support play was outstanding. His deft passing was dangerous all game. He clearly was using his footwork more closer to the defensive line. And as mentioned previously, those times he does just have to take the short hit up for the team, his ability to get quick recycled ball is first class.

It’s just a shame that blinkered perspectives don’t allow some people to see the true story.

I'm not sure I'd disagree with Slim's conclusion - that Wilson may not make the WB XV. But Wilson was definitely working hard in the tight stuff and making ground with all ball bar a hospital pass. He ALSO impacts out wide where the game plan put's him there. Thought he was one of our best.

Rugby King

Sydney Middleton (9)
I feel like Henry must have been handed kicking duties last minute, he is usually very good.
He was in everything.
Go back and watch the number of breakdowns he got to.
Was an average game by most of the team last night.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from last night

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
He certainly doen't look committed to doing much does he, he bloody slow turning to get back for kicks, or general defence work.
I mudt admit I didn't notive it last night, but had meant to mention in game against Rebels, the young 9 Thomas was incredibly slow at turning in defence inside 22 last week and was giving Rebels space I thought.
Yes I agree on Thomas, very slow which is a disappointment given I thought he had made big strides in recent years. On the plus side though I thought Tate's pass from the ground was at its best last night. He also ran and passed long well which he hasn't done much of in his career.

Realrugby63

Stan Wickham (3)
How ridiculous. Coming back from a broken hand and making a couple of mistakes that others make all the time and you want him out of the team? JOC (James O'Connor) made more mistakes and there were other worse performances, should we just get rid of all of those who had games below their average?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
From my perspective at the game, Kalani got to the ruck quickly but took an age to pass, which allowed the Crusaders defence time to reset.
Think that sums up his game perfectly, whether it’s because he feels the ball runners/players are not in position or his decision making is taking too long, I’m not sure, but the pause at the base of an attacking ruck is a constant in his game. You see it when he plays QPR as well. I’ve spent many games watching UQ wishing he would get rid of the ball quicker than he does.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
those times he does just have to take the short hit up for the team, his ability to get quick recycled ball is first class.
I think this is what has changed since his first season, he was a wrecking ball that almost always got past the defence, even if only by a metre but would then either try to throw a hero pass or lose possession.

He has changed his game and lowered his risk of losing possession while adding a pretty effective link game too.

More than anything, he must surely lift his team mates, if you are starting to tire and see him continuing to do hard work it must make you think you can have at least one more run before you are subbed.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
If the games against Kiwis will last 40 minutes, Aussie sides would be more competitive lol

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Agreed, but there has been no motivation for him to do so thus far, so pretty difficult to imagine that he will.
Why not? It's the main weapon of international halfbacks. Dupoint, Faf de Klerk, Gibson-Park, Aaron Smith all of them kick perfectly. Doesn't he want to play the World Cup?