• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Force (Brisbane) Friday 26 May 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I liked the way they finally added a little diversity in their backline moves. Instead of repeatedly running the same "out the back" / second line move, they started using the short option, which proved effective. Much less predictable - other sides were picking this off and shutting it down. Great variation, and another nice set piece try came from it.

Absolutely. From very little attacking threat to one where we are starting to incorporate some variations. Loving that short ball between Meakes and Rona, which we also saw last week against The Clan. More of that please boys.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Torp - there is no doubt that a radical change in the QRU's entire approach to HC and Assistant HC recruitment and development is required and with absolute urgency. (The real crowd at Friday's game was probably c. 7,000 and this is QRU-survival-scary, as is the alarming Reds crowd trend overall.)

I don't think LF as HC would necessarily work. I would like him involved somehow, but not in that role.

I would prefer an international appointment - as you infer as a type of Coaching Director with all-of-system oversight - say potentially someone quite senior from a non-Aus team that has clearly built sound systems of coaching and player development such as say Saracens.

Things have only ever improved with and for the QRU and elite pro QLD rugby when hard-driving change agents with clear authority are brought in from sources totally divorced from QLD rugby, historically and culturally. (Once the QRU resources principally from its wide coterie of mates and 'good QLD rugby men' things almost always go downhill again precisely as happened post-Link.)

This typically only occurs after the QRU has induced serious and exclusively self-made crises reflecting as always its infamous (and obvious) inbred, nepotistic, self-perserving-not-stakeholder-protecting culture and where such crises force immediate radical change to stave off bankruptcy.

And you could substitute NSWRU for QRU at every point in the above post and it would be just as correct.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I have just finished watching the Aviva Champ final, and I couldn't help noticing the difference between the 2 teams and how I thought the Reds played last night, it was a game that went into 20 minutes extra time to get result, and both teams absolutely ran themselves into the ground, I was sitting here saying to wife make the Reds watch, this is giving it ALL you got for 100 minutes, not on and off for 80!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Having watched the Aviva Final I was shocked at how poor the quality of Rugby was. Both defensive teams not even attempting to get off the line in defence after 60mins. Super Rugby at its worst is street ahead.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
No doubt the Force are the best coached side in the Australian Conference.
I was thinking about this earlier. I remember quite liking Nick Stiles as a forwards coach, but then it occurred to me that it was the improvements made in our set piece that I liked about Stiles. The Reds don't have any problems with their set piece. Joe Barakat is the unsung hero of that coaching staff. Our set piece has improved immeasurably from last year and we came into this year with arguably our strongest weapon (a Cottrell, Hodgson, McCalman backrow) out of action and I would never have believed how well our replacements have gone in their stead. But it is not just their set piece performance- I feel like they have improved a lot as overall players. Guys like RHP and Hardwick get talked about in Wallaby conversations (still a good year or two off IMO). Naisarani probably would if he was eligible. How quickly has Jermaine Ainsley come along? If the Force were to get booted, there are so many good players that could add value to the other franchises (I reckon the Tahs and Rebels would tear strips off each other to pick up Coleman, Arnold and Philip for example), but I really feel that its guys like Joe (and Wessels of course) that are the bigger assets.

Having watched the Aviva Final I was shocked at how poor the quality of Rugby was. Both defensive teams not even attempting to get off the line in defence after 60mins. Super Rugby at its worst is street ahead.

I thought it was odd, but I only watched the second half and over time. It was absolutely thrilling to watch. Exeter went through 30 odd phases at one point. The thing that surprised me is that both teams lie all over opposition ball at the breakdown which prevented any quick play and resulted in one out runner after one out runner (supported by 3 or 4 odd team mates to maintain possession). Southern Hemisphere refs would have penalised players off the park.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I thought it was odd, but I only watched the second half and over time. It was absolutely thrilling to watch. Exeter went through 30 odd phases at one point. The thing that surprised me is that both teams lie all over opposition ball at the breakdown which prevented any quick play and resulted in one out runner after one out runner (supported by 3 or 4 odd team mates to maintain possession). Southern Hemisphere refs would have penalised players off the park.

Shows how we see things differently, I thought it a cracking match, as I said elsewhere in this post with both teams running themselves into the ground, I also thought the team actually reacted quite quickly to refs instructions, and had thought some of our teams may of been in penalty trouble. Lol guess we see games differently, I thought I could happily watch those kind of games more.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Shows how we see things differently, I thought it a cracking match, as I said elsewhere in this post with both teams running themselves into the ground, I also thought the team actually reacted quite quickly to refs instructions, and had thought some of our teams may of been in penalty trouble. Lol guess we see games differently, I thought I could happily watch those kind of games more.
Imagine a Crusaders v Exeter champions style match. Crusaders would do them by 50.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
I doubt it would ever happen, as he's not a fancied player, but Cheika would do well to at least have a look at Meakes in camp. He's been the playmaker in numerous Force linebreaks and a few rare set piece tries - like the one in this match (and remember the try vs. the Sharks?). And he's not to shabby in defense, either.

If he's looking for a playmaker at 12, he should be considered. If he's looking for a bullocking 12 (which he hasn't shown any inclination to), then he's clearly not the guy. Same if he's primarily looking for a 2nd kicking option.

Maybe I'm misreading the needs for a Wallaby 12, and maybe he won't be able to replicate his form at the international level, but he seems like someone who brings what the Wallabies backline sorely needs.

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Imagine a Crusaders v Exeter champions style match. Crusaders would do them by 50.

Hmm I'm not so sure. Exeter's gigantic pack (I swear they have props for locks e.g. Mitch Lees) would just keep it tight, they'd dominate set piece and choke the life out of the game. They're one of the best drilled and coached teams in the game. Not saying they are better, but they would put up a good fight

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I doubt it would ever happen, as he's not a fancied player,

I believe he was part of the Wallaby love in earlier this year. I'd expect him to make the squad. Don't necessarily consider him a ball player though.

A good player nonetheless and a strong chance for a Wallaby jersey.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
6 years ago there'd be 20 or 30 Reds fans still posting at midnight here after a home game - at 10:30pm tonight I feel like the last bloke throwing out the empty bottles from a party no one really wanted to attend.

Great post, RH!

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
I believe he was part of the Wallaby love in earlier this year. I'd expect him to make the squad. Don't necessarily consider him a ball player though.

A good player nonetheless and a strong chance for a Wallaby jersey.

He definitely has a much more limited set of skills compared to, say, Beale. But he's been great as a midfield playmaker and putting guys through holes, and he's gone through a few himself. Adds a little aggro in defense as well.

Haven't seen him throw a wide pass at all, which leads me to believe that it's not a strong suit (or it's not in the game plan).

Status
Not open for further replies.