• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Sharks, Rnd 5 2020, Lang Park Sat 29 7:15 EDST

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Well the Reds vs Bulls is now apparently getting the Sunwolves vs Crusaders as a double header, so that'll probably be our high water mark for the season, I'd expect that to pull 20k maybe 25k. This game I'd think should be close to 15k.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Ox Nche has to be one of the better prop names in world rugby at the moment.

Out of interest, how do you pronounce that surname? I'd guess it's 'ni-ch' but I've honestly got no idea.

Go on

Have go at his real name :)

Retshegofaditswe 'Tshego' Nché

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ox_Nché

To get a hint of how the "ch" is pronounced, listen for the clicking sound in this video.

So it's N"click"e

Even thgouh I understand quite a bit of isi-Xhosa, I can't really make the sound properly

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It seems some of us are having trouble adapting to the idea of a capable squad and resting players for their long term health. Harry Hocking is a more than adequate replacement for Angus Blyth and is a bloody giant of a man. We can't expect our best side, and no one outside the Reds knows what that is, to trot out ever week and perform at 100%.
Management have taken a lot of care in determining who needs a rest and if starting from the bench or sitting in the stands is the best course. We all don't need to complain every week when one of our favs doesn't make the team.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Should be a great battle in the midfield. The Sharks centres were very damaging last week in Ballarat.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
It seems some of us are having trouble adapting to the idea of a capable squad and resting players for their long term health. Harry Hocking is a more than adequate replacement for Angus Blyth and is a bloody giant of a man. We can't expect our best side, and no one outside the Reds knows what that is, to trot out ever week and perform at 100%.
Management have taken a lot of care in determining who needs a rest and if starting from the bench or sitting in the stands is the best course. We all don't need to complain every week when one of our favs doesn't make the team.

Is load management really that important in a 16 game competition where each team gets two byes and only plays once a week? I'm not complaining about the Hockings selection by the way, genuinely prefer him over Blythe. The concept of load management is being raised more and more in sports, its a big topic at the moment again the NBA who play a coast to coast 82 game + potential playoffs season, so I can see it being valid there. But I'm not so sold on load management being as crucial in our current competition, aside from players who are carrying injuries.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I really don't know, I'm no expert in this and many other areas. I'm happy to see the squad rotated to develop players.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
It's not a fair comparison to suggest the NBA is even remotely close to the physical toll a game of Rugby takes on a body. If nothing else an NBA game goes for around 48 minuets, and has free substitutions, a typical NBA player doesn't play more than 20 to 30 min a game. The physical toll on the body generally increases at an increasing rate, so playing 40 min over 20 min would more than double the required recovery time, and 80 min would be even more than double the recovery for 40 min. Then add in that the NBA is largely non-contact, and that the NBA make extensive use of load management.

Load management probably isn't strictly necessary, but it's a good policy when you have depth and don't lose too much when you use it.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Yeah I'd say it's more to do with developing a squad than load management. Especially with the likes of Hocking and Blyth. Guys like Rodda are a different story though.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Is load management really that important in a 16 game competition where each team gets two byes and only plays once a week? I'm not complaining about the Hockings selection by the way, genuinely prefer him over Blythe. The concept of load management is being raised more and more in sports, its a big topic at the moment again the NBA who play a coast to coast 82 game + potential playoffs season, so I can see it being valid there. But I'm not so sold on load management being as crucial in our current competition, aside from players who are carrying injuries.

Maybe not load factor, but fatigue is certainly a factor they need to manage on a week to week basis, especially when you consider the additional travel burden placed on the Reds over the last 4 weeks travelling all across the world.

This is where rotation is critical, especially for the big forwards in the team who are taking a lot of contact, they’re de-training through the season because they never get enough by time to recover and then load up again before the game.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
pretty ominous for the Reds.. 2 rolling mauls easily defended by the Sharks, and then the Reds had no answer to an almost 20m rolling maul from the Sharks..

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Reds struggling at the re-start, its where they lost the game against the Brumbies as well.