• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Sharks, Rnd 5 2020, Lang Park Sat 29 7:15 EDST

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Oh yeah, I’m pretty sure he’s still got some value mate considering the current heads of rugby in Australia.

I don't doubt he would have some value but not as a head coach of a super rugby program after not being involved at any level for 6 years. He is regularly referenced on this forum as a viable option which I disagree with.

B

Bobby Sands

I don't doubt he would have some value but not as a head coach of a super rugby program after not being involved at any level for 6 years. He is regularly referenced on this forum as a viable option which I disagree with.

Do you think Thorn is better? Or Wessels? Penney is hard to judge but I’m sure McKellar would love to be able to pick Links brain..

So by guess he’s be shoe-horned in two, maybe three HC spots and would be very valuable in Canberra as well, probably as head of rugby not head coach.

Wouldn’t be a bad idea to have him on the board at RA either.

Tattsy Taylor will make a very good head coach one day too.

Reactions: dru

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Do you think Thorn is better? Or Wessels? Penney is hard to judge but I’m sure McKellar would love to be able to pick Links brain..

So by guess he’s be shoe-horned in two, maybe three HC spots and would be very valuable in Canberra as well, probably as head of rugby not head coach.

Wouldn’t be a bad idea to have him on the board at RA either.

Tattsy Taylor will make a very good head coach one day too.

None of the current Australian Super Rugby head coaches have near his breadth of experience (international, overseas and I think he might be second most in Super Rugby behind only Deans) however it is relevant that McKenzie has been out of the game for such a long period of time. The game is certainly a lot different.

It is a complete hypothetical and we are trying to judge past to more current experience. It is not something I am really willing to go into especially as McKenzie has made it clear he doesn't want to be involved.

Side note I am interested to know why you believe Matt Taylor will make a good head coach? Also what that means and at what level?

It is interesting to see different nations approaches in selecting head coaches (in the professional era). NZ tend to have a propensity for coaches with international experience (not always as head coach), SA seem to pick coaches who have been successful at Currie Cup level while Australia has focused solely on Super Rugby success (6/8 won a title in Super 12/14/15, leaving Connolly who did win Super 6/10 prior to professionalism and Smith who coached NSW prior to 1996)

B

Bobby Sands

Just looking at the replay, in the first try Harry Hockings binds onto the completely wrong part of the maul to defend. Its clearly just an accident, buts its very strange.