• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Waratahs in Townsville

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Fairness be buggered. Some of his decisions seem to have lost the Reds some really good players.

1. Kerevi - would have left no matter the coach, too much money in Japan
2. KHunt - Who cares
3. Slipper - probably the best thing for him was leaving the Reds
4. QC (Quade Cooper) - Was playing like poo at that stage anyway, probably revived his Wallaby career in the process
5. Rodda & Lucas - COVID pay cuts to blame
6. Mafi, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Stewart & Tupou - yes Thorn likely played a big part. For a couple of them though he has been their only professional coach so they needed to freshen up.

Maybe I am missing one or two.

It’s really only been the final 12 months of his tenure that notable players who would be in the starting 15 have jumped ship directly because of him.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Joust watched the game again, did anyone think the binding for the Tahs first try was wrong?

It seemed to me that the Tahs 8 did not bind to the last man. He goes past the hooker and binds with 6. I would have thought his first contact should be with 2, then slide forward to the 6.

It would make no difference to the results but did not seem right to me
Maul 2.JPG

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Joust watched the game again, did anyone think the binding for the Tahs first try was wrong?

It seemed to me that the Tahs 8 did not bind to the last man. He goes past the hooker and binds with 6. I would have thought his first contact should be with 2, then slide forward to the 6.

It would make no difference to the results but did not seem right to me
View attachment 15906
Technically incorrect? Probably
Does it happen at nearly every maul? Probably
Is it a missed call to hang your hat on? Absolutely not

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
It made no difference to the outcome, just interested that it was not picked up.
Can definitely understand it though - not blatantly obvious, a lot of moving parts, Gordon might've been blocking Gus' view, Seu's arm bound to Porecki could've been mistaken for Gleeson's, etc.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The refs go through a cycle of focusing on certain aspects of the game to referee. Atm it’s lineouts
I think Aus and NZ are in for a huge shock come international season around the ruck. They are absolutely filthy in Super Rugby. Blokes never release as tackler, ever. Blokes go straight off their feet for pilfers, every time. Side entries, hands in the ruck, loitering behind the ruck.

Its chaos out there. And for once it's not just the Brumbies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think Aus and NZ are in for a huge shock come international season around the ruck. They are absolutely filthy in Super Rugby. Blokes never release as tackler, ever. Blokes go straight off their feet for pilfers, every time. Side entries, hands in the ruck, loitering behind the ruck.

Don't disagree on any of those comments D. What gets up my nose a bit is that pilferers often place a hand on the tackled player on the ground to stay upright but rarely get caught. What's the difference between hands on the ground or hands on the tackled player to keep the balance and stay on their feet?

However, what irks me most is the tackler continuing to hold the tackled player and keeping the ball locked in to the tackled player's body so that it can't be released. Some very obvious examples went unchecked in the Reds/Tahs game on the weekend.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Don't disagree on any of those comments D. What gets up my nose a bit is that pilferers often place a hand on the tackled player on the ground to stay upright but rarely get caught. What's the difference between hands on the ground or hands on the tackled player to keep the balance and stay on their feet?

However, what irks me most is the tackler continuing to hold the tackled player and keeping the ball locked in to the tackled player's body so that it can't be released. Some very obvious examples went unchecked in the Reds/Tahs game on the weekend.
Yeah I saw one incident in the Rebels Brumbies match where a player (think it might have been a Rebel) just reached through the middle of a ruck after making a tackle and put his hand on the ball so it couldnt come out for a good three seconds. Quite blatant and completely unpunished. Not even a 'let go' from the ref.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Technically incorrect? Probably
Does it happen at nearly every maul? Probably
Is it a missed call to hang your hat on? Absolutely not
Looks similar to the disallowed try last weekend against the Force with Wilson in the maul......

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Just another example of Rugby having so many rules it's impossible to officiate everything. It's clear they pick a target area to focus on for some matches/rounds.

No we don't need a 2nd ref on the field. The game is slow enough and the pushing of pace of play has been good.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Looks similar to the disallowed try last weekend against the Force with Wilson in the maul......
That was completely different, Wilson was obstructing

Also the #9 rule at the scrum, I'm not sure it was thought through properly introducing this in a RWC year. The international #8s are in for a shock and won't be used to being harassed by the #9 at the back of scrums now.