• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Bulls Rnd 5 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
How is Simon Morahan going? He is supposedly the more talented of the two, he must be close to making the step-up?
He's in the National Academy, and I assume running around for Uni pre-season.

Also what's the point of this academy, we called up two players who I hadn't heard of before, surley someone like Simon Morahan or Mitch Felsman (before injury) would be a better option, bring through young players.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
It was Davies first real run this season and could expected to maybe be a bit rusty. But that only prob accounts for half your concerns.

C

Cave Dweller

If you concede 17 turn overs then you are going to have problems winning any game.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Brutes will have Sadie, Klein Flippie & Hougaard back
Supersport
Sadie boost for Bulls

by Brenden Nel 19 March 2012, 14:41
The Vodacom Bulls were given a massive boost on returning to Loftus Versfeld from their enforced bye with the news that both midfielder Johann Sadie and lock Flip van der Merwe have been cleared of injury.
The Bulls face the defending champion Queensland Reds, a side they desperately want to beat in this year’s competition, and look set to be able to field a fully-fit side if things go well.
Sadie injured his shoulder in the opening game of Vodacom Super Rugby this season against the Sharks, and has been on the sideline for three weeks now. His return to training on Monday was probably the most positive aspect of the session, which also saw halfback Francois Hougaard back in action.
Hougaard has served his one match ban and is set to return to the No 9 spot against Wallaby halfback Will Genia in a battle that is mouth-watering on its own.
Van der Merwe, meanwhile, is back from his ankle injury, sustained in the loss against the Blues and while there were fears that it might be more serious, a week off has done wonders for the big lock and he is set to return to action.
The only real worry at the moment is Bok flanker Deon Stegmann, who withdrew from the Bulls team on the eve of the Blues game with a hamstring injury, and while he was one of the few who didn’t take the field Monday at training, it is seem more as a precaution than anything else.
Stegmann will know on Tuesday what his fate will be and whether he will be part of the Bulls squad for the Reds match.
The Bulls are sure to take all factors into account with Stegmann as the lack of a fetcher was one of their problems at the breakdown against the Blues, who fielded two and were rewarded for their adventure.
Sadie’s return is likely to mean a drop to the bench for youngster Francois Venter as Wynand Olivier and the former Stormers player will link up in the midfield.
Brutes by 15.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
8ST9bl.jpg

LAST 3 GAMES @ LOFTUS2009: Bulls 33-20 Reds
2007: Bulls 92-3 Reds
2005: Bulls 32-7 Reds

T

tranquility

8ST9bl.jpg

I can appreciate the drollness of this. However, if the Reds win and I think they can it will reaffirm alot of my beliefs about the character of this side.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
It's a fact they we've really had the Bulls well worked out in 2010 and 2011 at home, last year's strong win at Suncorp was even sweeter than that fabulous win in 2010 (I'll never forget the Higgers try outrunning the Bulls' backs to score).

But playing away with our injuries (3 10s out, etc, unproven S15 kickers under Bullring pressure) and speculation of Samo on the wing? Objectively, it will be very, very tough. The Bulls were clearly an ageing side in 2011, and their 'new' team is by no means as powerful yet as the old in its S15-winning pomp, but they're still chock full of talent and will want if anything to better the Sharks.

If we can find the resources and inner resolve to (a) play for 60 mins+ the right version of our best attacking play in 1H last Saturday and (b) at long last kill our handling and ball security problems (by far our biggest 2012 problem IMO), then we in with a good shot. If the Bulls (or ourselves) find a way to ensure either a or b doesn't happen, we could easily see a 12-20 point loss, given the fragile team resources we now have. And place kick success rate will have a big role in the final outcome.

W

What2040

Interesting about young Nathan Brown getting the call to head to africa - was a terrific fullback at school level and in the firsts at TSS in 2007 with Taps, Slipper, Morahan, Lance.
Don't think he achieved to higher honours at that stage and went and played rugby League (with Burleigh Bears, I think). anyway, he had a year off footy altogether - must have hit the gym in a huge way as is now quite heavily muscled. Haven't seen him play for years but obviously has retained his step and speed - he was also a very robust and "tough" lad.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
it may be wise to plant Dallan M at 15 given this (also not to kill his natural game with the relentless pressure he'd have as a young 10 on S15/Reds debut in the Bullring, etc., that is almost the definition of cruelty :().

Seemed to work out just fine for young Gareth Anscombe of the Blues a couple of weeks ago. Scored all his sides points in their win over the Bulls in Pretoria.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Bulls game is my favourite of the year. Total clash of styles plus the memory of the dark days still fresh in my mind.

Bulls game in 2010 was when the reds really established themselves as a force to be reckoned with. Was great to be in the crowd that day.

Huge challenge this weekend and the reds lads are only human. I dont expect a win but as long as they put in a good performance I will be happy.

T

tranquility

Quote from Foxsports.

"All the planets have aligned for his chance with Ioane's citing, injuries to wing back-ups Aidan Toua, Peter Hynes and Chris F'Sautia and further injuries felling contenders Mitchell Felsman and Joel Faulkner."

Joel Rapana sounds like a great squad addition, however why is there no mention of Simon Morahan? Is it just because he is still too young? I suppose he is only 19/20, but he is about the same age as Faulkner and he is older than CFS.....

C

Cave Dweller

8ST9bl.jpg

Funny thing about that 92 -3 win was that they needed to win by 72 points to secure a home semi final that year.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Quote from Foxsports.

"All the planets have aligned for his chance with Ioane's citing, injuries to wing back-ups Aidan Toua, Peter Hynes and Chris F'Sautia and further injuries felling contenders Mitchell Felsman and Joel Faulkner."

Joel Rapana sounds like a great squad addition, however why is there no mention of Simon Morahan? Is it just because he is still too young? I suppose he is only 19/20, but he is about the same age as Faulkner and he is older than CFS.....
I think he was injured at the back end of the Premier competition last season, so maybe he is recovering.
I can't remember a point where Aiden Toua and Joel Faulkner were both injury-free

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Bulls game is my favourite of the year. Total clash of styles plus the memory of the dark days still fresh in my mind.

Bulls game in 2010 was when the reds really established themselves as a force to be reckoned with. Was great to be in the crowd that day.

Huge challenge this weekend and the reds lads are only human. I dont expect a win but as long as they put in a good performance I will be happy.

Hey, so well said Bowside!

That great April 2010 day for the Reds, I was in London and had to persuade a nearby sports bar to open early and to put the game on for me. There were a few soccer and perhaps a few rugby guys that looked through the window and drifted in (for multiple pints at 10 in the morning). They gradually noticed the way our game was going, and to a person after watching for about 30 or so mins said 'those blokes in red are one helluva rugby team, wow..' They were glued, as of course was I.

I walked out into the crisp London spring morning after the game convinced we'd soon win the whole shebang.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Hey, so well said Bowside!

That great April 2010 day for the Reds, I was in London and had to persuade a nearby sports bar to open early and to put the game on for me. There were a few soccer and perhaps a few rugby guys that looked through the window and drifted in (for multiple pints at 10 in the morning). They gradually noticed the way our game was going, and to a person after watching for about 30 or so mins said 'those blokes in red are one helluva rugby team, wow..' They were glued, as of course was I.

I walked out into the crisp London spring morning after the game convinced we'd soon win the whole shebang.

I was a a quiz night down at our club shouting my tits off at the TV. People must of thought I was a right old nut job. This game was special but the 2008 game is still my fondest. The turn around and a ray of hope back in the dark old days.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The 2008 game just happened to coincide with my bucks party so it was duly incorporated into it - great decision as it turned out.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Seemed to work out just fine for young Gareth Anscombe of the Blues a couple of weeks ago. Scored all his sides points in their win over the Bulls in Pretoria.

Fair point indeed SG...but, not being pedantic, didn't GA play at least part of the previous match in NZ vs the Chiefs?

Just to put out there some counter-data, do you recall A Fainga'a's Wallaby debut ABs in NZ (Christchurch IIRC) with a super-partisan crowd? AF is a great, top class defender in virtually every part of the field he is or needs to be. He never leaves the defensive line thoughtlessly. But that debut night, recall what happened, entirely uncharacteristically: he (twice I think) recklessly left the Wallabies' defensive line at key moments, and the AB backs quickly ran around him to score 1 (or 2) tries and these more or less won the game for the ABs. Lee Grant never forgets it when writing about him in green and gold and his selection card was (understandably) marked down for some time after that. IMO, a case of debut nerves in a very tough away game leading to disaster. So it can go both ways, is all I say.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=34349

Anyone heard of these guys. The article says they were standouts for the Queensland 2nd 15. They are both in their 20's which is nice. Are they hard heads? Will say a lot about the type of footy link intends to play.

I suspect they are coming in as squad reserves, in case anyone comes down with injury/illness before the Bulls game. Links makes a mockery though of my remark,
Links if he stays true to his philosophies, will not fly anyone over.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom