• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Cheetahs, Rnd 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Both actual, I see Shipperly and Turner the same "type" fast, good work rate and defensively sound; but not great one on one when it comes to beating a defender.

Value? same as Howlett (who I would put in the same pigeon hole) while they work their arses off chasing and defending, a valuable member of the team, but for balance I would only play one.

To be fair, Howlett was a try scoring machine in his early days before the injuries. He went thru a period where he didn't have the extreme gas anymore and yeah - looked like a Turner.

In his last few years though he really stepped up his work-rate and what he'd lost in speed, he made up for sheer enthusiasm and work. I haven't been able to watch either of the Reds games so far so I'm just going off a pre-Reds Turner but he's a long way off what Howlett was IMO.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
After the tahs game I'm a Brocken man and not confidant at all. I still can't get over the performance and the winless attitude the reds had.
I'm not to confidant with RG at the moment

I just hope the Reds rock up this weekend and play rugby.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
To be fair, Howlett was a try scoring machine in his early days before the injuries. He went thru a period where he didn't have the extreme gas anymore and yeah - looked like a Turner.

In his last few years though he really stepped up his work-rate and what he'd lost in speed, he made up for sheer enthusiasm and work. I haven't been able to watch either of the Reds games so far so I'm just going off a pre-Reds Turner but he's a long way off what Howlett was IMO.

Not a whole lot wrong with Lachie. He was ultimately the difference between a win and a loss to the Brumbies. Scored one try, held Moggy up over the line to deny one to the Brumbies, and was the last defender to stop Tomane and Speight on two other occasions. A very good buy so far for the Reds. I hope he keeps it up.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If you're talking about Turner - couldn't agree more. One of the best thngs I think the Tahs did was let him go.

I remember watching his play in 2011 and wondering how he DIDN'T actually score a couple of tries. Is meant to be the fastest footballer in the country (yeah, I know it was a few years back, he's been injured etc etc but you get the point) but seems to get chased down or muscled out or whatever. Just doesn't seem like a finisher to me and if he doesn't finish, I'm not sure what his real value is.

Amazing. The only player from the Reds last week that enhanced his reputation and deserved a spot in the Australian TOTW and you want to get rid of him. The only reason he was let go from the Tahs was that he had two bad injury years, which meant there was a logjam of talent in front of him. In a beaten outfit he was the Red's best player!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Amazing. The only player from the Reds last week that enhanced his reputation and deserved a spot in the Australian TOTW and you want to get rid of him. The only reason he was let go from the Tahs was that he had two bad injury years, which meant there was a logjam of talent in front of him. In a beaten outfit he was the Red's best player!

We'll see I guess. As I said earlier, I haven't had a chance to see the Reds play this year so I'm going off what I saw from him when he was playing regularly for the Tahs.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I wish I shared your confidence in this department. Quade kicking at his "best" is still a 70-75% kicker and I still get the shits every time he goes up to the tee.

The calls for Quade to kick from the distances and angles that he was getting called on by Horwill against the Brumbies needs to just disappear from the Reds' playbook entirely.

Speaking of Quade's kicking..who else noticed that he's started doing the dance with his arms again? Thought it was odd that he's brought it back into his routine, he seemed to be more successful without it over the past year.
He does seem to go for goal a lot of the time from distances or angles that will lower his overall percentage. I think he is actually a better kicker than his stats show, if he only took kicks when he was a better than average chance then he would look a lot better. I think in the Brumbies game he took a shot from 50m out into a slight wind. Why not kick to touch and try a rolling maul and then set up a drop goal? This would have to have a better chance statistically. I love tries but often think Australian Rugby misses a lot of easy points from not taking the easy 3 point drop goal.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
He does seem to go for goal a lot of the time from distances or angles that will lower his overall percentage. I think he is actually a better kicker than his stats show, if he only took kicks when he was a better than average chance then he would look a lot better. I think in the Brumbies game he took a shot from 50m out into a slight wind. Why not kick to touch and try a rolling maul and then set up a drop goal? This would have to have a better chance statistically. I love tries but often think Australian Rugby misses a lot of easy points from not taking the easy 3 point drop goal.

Eh, with the exception of the Brumbies game I don't think Quade really takes any larger proportion of difficult kicks than any other kicker in Super Rugby. I may still have the aggregated kick stats from last season in my inbox, I'll go digging for that in a minute.

Those 50m shots had me seething. It was into the wind, on an angle and already out of Quade's range as it is. A quick tap would have been more productive.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
No reason to be overly concerned with this one. Reds need to make a statement so will be expecting 5 points, less than 4 is a fail. They have a tough start to the year so should come home well.

Graham has said he wants tries and then persists with Taps at 13. As others have said Turner and Shipperley are very similar as well. Give CFS a year or two on the wing while FTA is around and then play Harris & Taps at 12.

Slipper has been shit around the park so may as well go back to 3. I'd like to see Anae at 1 and Hanson given a run. Maybe bench or drop Quirk for Robinson as well, he is solid but too similar to Shatz. One or both of them really need to improve there running games with Browning knocking at the door.

1. Anae
2. Hanson
3. Slipper
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Robinson
7. Gill
8. Shatz
9. Lucas
10. Cooper
11. CFS
12. Harris
13. FTA
14. Turner
15. Toua

16. FTS
17. Daley
18. Holmes
19. McDuling
20. Browning
21. Genia
22. Tapuai
23. Shipperley

The side looks predictable and teams have them worked out. The same old isn't good enough. Graham appears scared to change anything after the success f his predecessor and needs to throw spots open. Make them compete against each other more again. I don't mind losses if we are trying things because it is becoming clear the title will be out of reach without something new.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Finger (calf) and Slipper (thigh) injured and likely not to play
Think it will be Daley, Hanson and Holmes.

Like 4918 I would like to see Beau get a shot over Quirk - maybe he can bring some bloody agression into the piggies - Harris a likely but a big call on Genia - don't necessarily disagree with you but would have thought Frisby was next in line

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Quirk will be unlucky if he misses out. I feel like he got completely outmuscled against the Tahs, but generally he's the most aggressive in your backrow. If he plays well he gets the other two going. Gill is consistently good, but his role isn't generally one that lifts the team's physicality. It's more him getting smashed by the opposition as he's winning the ball.

I think Schatz is currently the weaklink in the Reds backrow. Given that you're trying to bring in Beau Robinson, it's hard to switch Schatz out and Robinson in.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Finger (calf) and Slipper (thigh) injured and likely not to play
Think it will be Daley, Hanson and Holmes.

Like 4918 I would like to see Beau get a shot over Quirk - maybe he can bring some bloody agression into the piggies - Harris a likely but a big call on Genia - don't necessarily disagree with you but would have thought Frisby was next in line

Robbo should have got a gig at the 2011 RWC, but I haven't seen him play to that standard since. Sure to bring a bit of aggression but mostly misdirected, and the Reds have plenty of that already with Simmonds.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'm starting to think bonus point win for the Reds.

Because:

1. They got embarrassed last week
  2. The Cheetahs are still on the road after a beating
  3. Suncorp Stadium
  4. Pink Jerseys - more below
Quirky's Mum had Breast Cancer and pulled through, Schatzy's late mother was not so fortunate. I think that we might see the backrow playing with a fury we haven't seen before.

I was talking earlier about Schatz's lack of aggression lately, then I remembered the above over lunch. I think this could be a huge game for him

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I assume we are all getting out there and supporting the Reds for this game? I love a home game and this is the first one I have been to as a while when I wasn't 'official' in some capacity (since the 2011 GF in fact).

Its really upon us QLDers to set the standard in terms of crowd support. I'd love to jump straight into a 30,000 + crowd, but traditionally they start lower and build as the season progresses. SAF teams don't traditionally draw the biggest crowd, and we are coming off a shellacking.

But I know the QRU were looking at enhancing the whole spectator experience moving forward so I am looking forward to seeing what this entails starting with this Friday night.

Its going to be a rush to get there from jnr training, but I get to bring my three sons, my nephew and my rugby-mad cousin who's been in the states for a number of years.

Personally, I can not wait!

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Its going to be a rush to get there from jnr training, but I get to bring my three sons, my nephew and my rugby-mad cousin who's been in the states for a number of years.

I'm really not a fan of these early evening kickoffs on a Friday. It creates absolute chaos. People rushing home from work to grab the kids etc to get back out to Suncorp then it's basically being played during dinner time and Suncorp gauges you with pricing.

I understand why they have this time slot, but couldn't the Reds play all their games on a Saturday/Sunday until DLS is over? Families across Brisbane would be extremely thankful!

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Reds Team for Fri night:

1. Ben Daley
2. James Hanson
3. Greg Holmes
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill (C)
6. Eddie Quirk
7. Liam Gill
8. Jake Schatz
9. Will Genia (VC)
10. Quade Cooper
11. Dom Shipperley
12. Mike Harris
13. Chris Feauai-Sautia
14. Rod Davies
15. Aidan Toua
16. Saia Fainga’a
17. James Slipper
18. Jono Owen
19. Ed O’Donoghue
20. Beau Robinson
21. Nick Frisby
22. Anthony Fainga’a
23. Ben Tapuai

Wonder is Turner is injured, I saw he was limping after the game, hope it's not serious?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Mostly good changes, should fire up a couple of guys. Slipper is on the only one of those I would not have made though would have him at 3. Excited to see CFS in 13 and hope he can get an extended run.

Big shame to lose Turner.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm really not a fan of these early evening kickoffs on a Friday. It creates absolute chaos. People rushing home from work to grab the kids etc to get back out to Suncorp then it's basically being played during dinner time and Suncorp gauges you with pricing.

I understand why they have this time slot, but couldn't the Reds play all their games on a Saturday/Sunday until DLS is over? Families across Brisbane would be extremely thankful!

yeah, unfortunately the Reds don't get the final say on the draw. They'd probably prefer more Saturday and (the right) Sunday game.

6:40pm is not fun at all. At least the kids get into bed at a reasonable hour ready for a big morning of cricket the next day.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
yeah, unfortunately the Reds don't get the final say on the draw. They'd probably prefer more Saturday and (the right) Sunday game.

6:40pm is not fun at all. At least the kids get into bed at a reasonable hour ready for a big morning of cricket the next day.

The Force are playing a 4:40pm Saturday game (for 7:40pm Sydney time kickoff as per normal).

I guess that's the problem when the two home Aussie games are in different time zones. They both have to compromise to get the right TV timeslot.

Of course Queensland could just adopt daylight saving and there wouldn't be any issues (apart from faded curtains and sour milk of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.