• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Chiefs -Suncorp Stadium 13 May

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fuck me, just got home and watching the reply. I think all Aus Fox commentators want a slice of SBW man junk its hideous.
Genia try was a pleasure to watch at the stadium.
The Aus fox commentators are all shit except Kafer. The rest all just wanna boof SBW & the Crusaders franchise.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Are SBW's shorts shorter than everyone else's?
I think Mitch Inman takes out the AFL footy shorts award.

Great game & very good win for the Reds. Shatz & Simmons have hit some form they were both good against the saders & backed it up again this week.

Gill carved up the Chiefs last year & he carved up again tonight he was my MOTM for the 2nd week running.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Excellent to see both teams play some entertaining rugby in front of a healthy sized crowd. The fans have spoken and like their afternoon rugby. Also suits NZ too being beamed in at a decent hour for fans of all ages.

Hope the Reds can keep it up and perhaps we can dream of seeing two Australian teams in the finals.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Pretty good considering it was Mothers Day too. I bet a lot of Queensland Mums got Brunch and then shipped off for an afternoon hair/facial/massage appointment.

armatt

Fred Wood (13)
Morahan was given an off-field yellow at full-time. My understanding is that that is the end of the process - it does not get passed up for further consideration from there. Reds staff echoed this.

Cracking match of rugby. Great play both teams - Reds tight and structured (and smart) while the Chiefs backline constantly menaced. It was a joy to watch.

I prepare videos for the Reds that the players watch pre-game in the sheds. The one prepared for tonight is linked here. Mods, if I'm out of line by promoting my work, feel free to edit this out.

Country Kid

Chris McKivat (8)
Can we have Sunday afternoon rugby every week please?

Gutsy call by the Reds to go for try when awarded a penalty just before half time. Stern try line defence by the Chiefs was overcome by cool headed play from the Reds. The try and conversion reset the dynamics of the game - especial when just minutes ealier things were looking rather bleak for the Reds. Three points for a penalty goal just wouldn't have had the same effect

However....

The Reds field goal late in the game was again the right play given the state of the game at that time

Good signs for the Reds on many levels of the game: skill with the ball (though still too many inaccurate passes), aggressive defence, winning attitude, good decision-making, teamwork

dave

Stan Wickham (3)
Intent is irrelevant.
We have seen this year that if a player lifts another, and does not return them safely to ground, it is sanctioned.
Given what else has passed this year, this should be looked at in similar light.

True but if it went past the horizontal it was only by a small margin. Returning them safely to ground is in most cases an impossibility. Surely the situation requires the need to look at intent, and if not, at least make a judgement on whether momentum made it look worse than it was - I'm also aware that this is not how they adjudicate such situations at the moment. It was clear Morahan was not trying to inflict a spear tackle.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Isn't it funny how refereeing decisions even themselve out, last week we were thinking we had been robbed and this week we get a very lucky decision, if the touchie was doing his job we would have only had 14 on the field.

I really like the way the Reds seem to be a team again, they are hunting as a pack, and seem to be happy again on the field. I honestly think a lot of this is due to the Faingaas return, they both cut down people at the knees which allows our fetchers to do their job and I think they have always looked like leaders who the other guys want to team up with. Anthony obviously has awesome tackling skills but his organization (and high pitched screaming) seems to get the best out of the others.

Looking forward there are some hard decisions to be made about who plays 12. I think Lucas has impressed enough to move out to 12 when QC (Quade Cooper) comes back but this means dropping Harris and his kicking seems to be back on track. I dont think after Morahans performance you could drop him to put Lucas or Harris at 15, and we have to fit in Taps at some stage too.

What will be our best backline when all players are fit?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
We can't have more sunday afternoon rugby because the broadcasters don't like it.

I have heard q51 that this is in part due to the RSA time gap, i.e., afternoon AEST = too early in RSA. But then why do we have to endure RSA games at 1am-3am AEST? Plus 4pm AEST must be great for NZ viewers vs say 9:40pm NZ time.

Another thing: one of the reasons both the Cru match v Tahs and this one vs Chiefs had good crowds was undoubtedly the local (or touring) Kiwi attendance factor that had nought to do with the time of the match. Did you hear the scale of the boos when Harris was kicking? Remarkable, there must have been 5,000+ voluble Chiefs supporters at Suncorp and when the Cru play here in big games, there's typically many '000s more.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Isn't it funny how refereeing decisions even themselve out, last week we were thinking we had been robbed and this week we get a very lucky decision, if the touchie was doing his job we would have only had 14 on the field.

I really like the way the Reds seem to be a team again, they are hunting as a pack, and seem to be happy again on the field. I honestly think a lot of this is due to the Faingaas return, they both cut down people at the knees which allows our fetchers to do their job and I think they have always looked like leaders who the other guys want to team up with. Anthony obviously has awesome tackling skills but his organization (and high pitched screaming) seems to get the best out of the others.

Looking forward there are some hard decisions to be made about who plays 12. I think Lucas has impressed enough to move out to 12 when QC (Quade Cooper) comes back but this means dropping Harris and his kicking seems to be back on track. I dont think after Morahans performance you could drop him to put Lucas or Harris at 15, and we have to fit in Taps at some stage too.

What will be our best backline when all players are fit?

To me it means we don't have to rush quade back. Keep that backline together and bring quade off the bench.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
And Kev was angry as fuck. The red must had really descended at the point.

Crowd was relatively quiet until the last try of the first half. Then way Kev took that tap and launched himself into the defence seemed to get everyone interested.

36,500 people despite the team being mid table, not really in finals contention and without arguably its biggest drawcard. Great result and very good signs for the next couple of seasons. Dont remember too many regulr games last year with that sort of crowd.

W

What2040

Welcome back Will Genia
Gill had a blinder.
Slipper continues form
Schatz and Higgers very good

Piggies were awesome, Reds backs caught short a few times and it was Chiefs mistakes out wide tthat cost them dearly.

Rumoured that quade back next week. Will he be run-on or bench. Morahan had his best game of season and seems to be building confidence.

Question is if Quade back does Morahan go to bench and Lucas at 15 or Lucas on bench to cover all.

Status
Not open for further replies.