• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Rebels - 2011R05

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Actually, it will be a lot easier for Morty to run at Quade from the 12 channel than from 13. Fair call.

D

Dunnman

After last weeks game it is fair to say the Rebels should dominate the scrums

T

TheTruth

If the Reds forwards do their job and the backline clicks the heroic scrambling defence we've seen from the Rebels isn't going to be enough I think. There are just too many strong finishers close to the line. I'm tipping Genia to get at least one of his trademark sneaky tries on the goal line.

hope so too G. He must be getting rusty by now

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)

Read it correctly the first time. He still has to get through one or the other to get to Quade defending at 15.

Just being a smart arse, don't mind me. :)

T

tranquility

I think there are a few parallels between Taps at 13, and when the All Blacks tried McCalister at 13. In there case it didn't work, lets hope Ben is more versatile.

Morty is not an inside center, his distribution is woeful. However if the Rebels pack can get dominance and Morty can get over the gain line on first phase ALA Tom Carter this could allow Cips to pick up some runners outwide.

However in reality, as a Reds supporter I am pretty happy to see Mortlock at 12.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I would have liked Huxley to stay at 12 but am happy with him at 15. When the Reds break the line they shouldn't have to worry about the cover to much. Also he will kick the ball away all day.

I actually think this could be a tough one for the Reds. I liked the look of the Rebels last Friday and think that they will trouble more teams than I expected this year. Cipriani is in great form and they have quality wingers. They will miss Lipman as he has been great. Their scrum will also put a lot of pressure on the Reds and it may not take to long into the game before Holmes comes on for Daley.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I am looking forward to watching Taps play albeit in a position I didn't expect to see him play in when he was at school. I though then that by now he would be playing in the position that A. Finger is playing in.

But let's see; maybe the warranted demotion of Chambers will give Taps a chance to show that he is a Super Rugby starting player, even in a "wrong" position. Anthony has not been stellar so far this year; so you never know: maybe Taps will get a gig at 12 in sometime in 2011.

But that depends on how well he plays in the wrong position. Go, you good thing, Taps.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Team Announced

Queensland (from fullback): Ben Lucas, Rod Davies, Ben Tapuai, Anthony Fainga'a, Digby Ioane, Quade Cooper, Will Genia, Leroy Houston, Beau Robinson, Scott Higginbotham, Adam Wallace-Harrison, Rob Simmons, James Slipper, Saia Fainga'a, Ben Daley.

Reserves: James Hanson, Greg Holmes, Radike Samo, Ed Quirk, Liam Gill, Michael Harris, Luke Morahan.

Dunno who the St George Reds are....fixed the team for you mate...

Probably prefer Samo at blinside, Higgers lock with Wallace Harrison on the bench. Time also for Gill to get a crack at 80 mins...maybe throw him in the deep end in the Republic. Another strong showing from Hanson will surely cement a starting jersey next week.

Let's hope QC (Quade Cooper) has been smashing the tackle bag for the last fortnight.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
From that video, Taps looks pretty small and slow, but what do I know?! He also crabs about 100% more than Giteau! WOW. I think he will have an impact, however, just because of the unknown quality he is going to bring to this game. I still prefer an in form Chambers as it creates a more balanced backline in my opinion.

err...Go Reds?

O

OLDDOG

I still prefer an in form Chambers as it creates a more balanced backline in my opinion.

Sorry Reddy, have to disagree with u there. Chambers hasnt hit any sort of form this year so far. he has only contributed to handling errors and flow disruption. I would have had him out a long time ago, back with the reserves until he hits his straps again and gets some sticky hands. Ive always liked diggers at 13 as he tears up midfields, however ben is getting a crack which isnt a bad thing if he delivers on pre season form....

T

TOCC

I agree with Reddy, i would still prefer a in form chambers as his size and strength balances the back line better, however currently, Chambers isnt in form.

Ben deserves his crack, its debatable whether it should be from outside center though, if he has a bad game and is caught out of position, is it really his fault?
His skill set is conducive with the inside center position, and even though some papers have suggested that Fainga'a may be replaced at halftime with Taps moving into 12, i think this is unlikely considering 5 - 2 split on the bench.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yes, I think that would only happen due to injury or a major form issue from A Finger.

Taps and Ioane midfield does look like it could have a good balance though.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
From that video, Taps looks pretty small and slow, but what do I know?! He also crabs about 100% more than Giteau!

Reddy he is about 95 kgs and 5'9 ish. In the pre season I'm pretty sure Digby said Taps beat him in the 40m testing sessions, came second behind Rod Davies i think.

The crabbing I have only seen in that video, the other matches I have seen him in he straightened the attack and was very physical.

Looking forward to seeing Digby go to 13, Taps to 12 and see Morahan on the wing

T

TOCC

a lot of that crabbing is because Sunnybank was playing him at 5/8 and he isnt a great passer of the ball, he can offload quite good, but long cut out passes are really his thing. So he was kind of forced to run the ball a lot more to spread it.

Status
Not open for further replies.