• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Biffo said:
Sully said:
Biffo said:
Newb said:
:lmao: biffo you are a world class smart ass

thanks, Mate. there have been world smart ass championships. i competed four times, but failed ever to make the semis
Everyone in the world has a special gift. I'm just glad you found yours.

Your gift clearly isn't comprehension. I failed as a smart ass. Can you claim the same for yourself? :)
Didn't make it all the way to the worlds!

T

tranquility

I think Holmes in for Daley, with Kennedy on the bench could be an option.

I would also drop Brando from the 22, put Davies in the XV and Tapuai on the bench. Then have Chambers covering 13 and the wings & Taps covering 10 and 12.

Braid obviously for Shatz. Ezra out of the 22.

It will be a very difficult game, no doubt about it. But I find it an illogical argument that the Reds will lose just because the winning streak can't last. If they follow there processes and win the battle in tight, kick well and then feed there very cohesive backline I don't see why we can't win.

Fingers crossed.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sully said:
Biffo said:
Sully said:
Biffo said:
Newb said:
:lmao: biffo you are a world class smart ass

thanks, Mate. there have been world smart ass championships. i competed four times, but failed ever to make the semis
Everyone in the world has a special gift. I'm just glad you found yours.

Your gift clearly isn't comprehension. I failed as a smart ass. Can you claim the same for yourself? :)
Didn't make it all the way to the worlds!

:) there is no qualification for entry ... just rock up :thumb

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
tranquility said:
But I find it an illogical argument that the Reds will lose just because the winning streak can't last. If they follow there processes and win the battle in tight, kick well and then feed there very cohesive backline I don't see why we can't win.

Because they are the Reds, duh!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sharks v Reds, Durban

just starting the thread

Queensland's revival has showcased some of the best attacking skills in the Super 14 but it is gritty defence which has most epitomised their 2010 transformation.

Under new coach Ewen McKenzie, the previously tackle-lazy Reds have gone from being the second worst defensive team in the competition to the second best.

Whereas in 2009, they leaked a total 380 points - almost 30 points and four tries per game - Queensland have conceded an average 19 points in their 4-2 start to this season.

Only the Scrooge-like Cape Town-based Stormers (59 points) have a better defensive record than the hard-edged Queenslanders (115).

Even NSW, renowned as Australia's defensive flag-bearers, have conceded 178 from seven games while the Brumbies (179 from 7) and the Western Force (200 from 6) are no better.

While Will Genia, Quade Cooper and Digby Ioane have filled the highlight reels with their attack, the unsung hero behind the Reds stunning turnaround is former schoolboy coach and Scottish Sevens rep Matt Taylor.

McKenzie "stole" Taylor, the Reds Academy assistant coach, shortly after he took over from Phil Mooney and placed him in charge of fixing Queensland's inherent defensive problems.

Taylor wrote discussion papers on the Reds' defence at the end of the disappointing 2008 and 2009 seasons.

McKenzie read them, liked his analytical style and immediately told him to go about fixing the problems he'd identified.

And fix them he has, with the Reds allowing just on two tries a game against some of the best attacking teams in the competition.

For Taylor, a hungrier new attitude under McKenzie and a greater focus on tackling have been major factors at Ballymore.

"You can tell the spirit of a team by the way they defend," he said. "When a team defends well it shows their opponents and also the supporters that they have a lot of pride in themselves.

"Over the past couple of years there wasn't a lot of emphasis placed on defence and we were never a really defensively proud group.

"Now we're holding the players quite accountable in terms of their games and their stats. Guys who aren't tackling well are basically told they won't be in the team."

The best example in the Reds side is back-rower Scott Higginbotham who lost his place last year for poor defence but is now the form blind-side flanker in Australia.

Queensland have also been incredibly disciplined in defence under the new law interpretations, waiting for the right moment to attack the breakdown and then striking effectively for turnovers.

Despite eying a possible fourth-straight win against the Sharks in Durban on Sunday (AEDT), Taylor isn't getting carried away.

"We are aiming to win this comp and I'm aiming for us to become the best defensive team in the comp," he said.

"To get there we still have lots of work to do and we are under no illusions that we're there already."

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Re: Sharks v Reds, Durban

Tough game this one but not impossible by a long shot. Shame we couldn't of been in Durban a week earlier for clevage day. :lmao:

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Re: Sharks v Reds, Durban

Faster than a speeding Building, Able to jump tall dogs in a single bound, scourge of Internet rugby forums everywhere! Scarfman to the rescue!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I reckon we can get over them. I assume the betting is pretty even for this match.

Cooper will have to play a lot better and we will have to be more precise around the rucks. Hopefully the scrum can stand up.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
This is one of those games where the Reds defence should be able to win them the game. If it doesn't click, their expansive game won't be enough to get back into it against the powerful sharks.

T

TOCC

this will be one of the more defining matches of there tour, if they win it really does prove that they have thrown the monkey off there back, however if they lose...

well lets just hope they dont lose

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I don't think losing we mean that much, provided they beat the Lions. Winning could lead to 3 from 3 in south africa, and they would gain a huge confidence boost from that going into their home matches vs the Stormers and Bulls.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Adrian Jacobs has been ruled out of action for an extended period after suffering a dislocated shoulder during the Sharks' win over the Hurricanes at the weekend.

It's a big blow for the Sharks, as the Springbok centre had just started to find some form after being given an extended run in the number thirteen jersey, but his involvement in the Super 14 may well be over, with Waylon Murray the likely candidate to step into the outside centre berth.

Veteran lock Johann Muller is also still unavailable after missing last Saturday's match with a fractured finger, but otherwise coach John Plumtree said the team was "not in bad shape", with inside centre Riaan Swanepoel - who also sustained a blow to the shoulder at the weekend - expected to be ready to face the Reds.

Assessing the Sharks five-match overseas tour, Plumtree reflected on the positives and negatives that came out of the results in Australia and New Zealand.

"Scoring back-to-back wins was reward for a lot of hard work," he explained of the victories over the Highlanders and Hurricanes on successive weekends.

"Sometimes you work really hard and you get nothing and in Australia we were unlucky not to get a result there, particularly in the Waratahs game when after 72 minutes we were ahead. Then in the Brumbies game where we gave away a penalty and lost the match.

"It was a tough tour, but the boys never gave up. We talked about sticking together, we knew there was a lot of criticism back home and that's understandable."

Plumtree once more rubbished claims of a rift in the camp questioning the source, truth or value in publishing incorrect information.

"People tried to fracture us with media reports about myself and the job, and the unhappiness in the camp, but we decided to stick tight and work really hard; the last two weeks was really good reward," he said.

"As to the report about the Du Plessis brothers being behind a split, I don't know where people get this from. It is outsiders talking about us, they're not allowed in so I don't know where they're getting it from.

"John and Bismarck and Jannie are good mates. But the reports go on and on about these three guys, it's getting boring. Whenever there is an issue or a loss, they go to this.

"I'm not quite sure why that is."

Commenting on reports of his coaching job being in jeopardy, Plumtree explained that he hasn't gotten around to signing anything just yet.

"There is quite a bit more on my mind at the moment with rugby so let's wait and see," he said.

"The job's been talked about and my extension, but we discussed it before touring. I can understand that people will talk about it (replacing a coach) because my responsibility is to get results and to the team, a coach's life is like that.

"This time last year they were talking about Ewen MacKenzie getting the sack from the Waratahs, this time it's about me getting the sack. You just accept that that's the way it is."

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
TOCC said:
I think it might be a wise move to rest Daley and bring Holmes in to start against the stronger sharks pack, Holmes has been showing enough in his time off the bench to warrant a starting opportunity.

Were we watching the same game against the Cheetahs last week? I didn't think Holmes was doing that well at his favoured loosehead and copping a bit of a lesson at THP when Daley went off. Still scrum is about all the Cheetahs have left...

T

tranquility

The Cheetahs spanked us as a pack in the scrum - so it is hard to gage individual performers. Daley looks like he needs a break, he didn't look his energetic self last Saturday morning and Greg Holmes is an excellent backup - so we should share the work around leading into the pointy end of the season. I have already said it, bit I will say it again - I wouldn't even mind seeing Kennedy get a run off the bench with big Lawrie leaving however Link may not see him as the long term solution so there may be no point.

I will back the Reds with a pineapple on them @$2.40.

They have got me well in front this season on the punt and the odds are too nice to miss once again.

Beating the Crusaders earlier in the season @$5.00 means regardless of the result they have still got me well in the black.

up the reddddds

T

TOCC

NTA said:
TOCC said:
I think it might be a wise move to rest Daley and bring Holmes in to start against the stronger sharks pack, Holmes has been showing enough in his time off the bench to warrant a starting opportunity.

Were we watching the same game against the Cheetahs last week? I didn't think Holmes was doing that well at his favoured loosehead and copping a bit of a lesson at THP when Daley went off. Still scrum is about all the Cheetahs have left...

yeah true, i suppose i was basing my opinion on the previous matches where he has faired ok, his by no means a dominant scrummager but in saying that i dont think the Reds lose much by replacing Daley with Holmes

T

TOCC

Hardman is expected to start ahead of Fainga'a...

pretty good move IMO, Hardman is probably better suited to the South African forward packs and it gives Saia a chance to have a deserved break.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
And Faainga will make an impact with his energy when he comes on. Hardman will probably help the scrum a bit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.