• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds Vs Tahs pre-season trial, Roma 12/02/22 @ 7:30pm

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
On the evidence of the last trial I'd have Grealy above Aubrey. If someone is sneaking in from this game I think Creighton might be more likely as a back up 10, though we haven't really seen any of him yet.
Annan in the mix too. Versatility compared to Grealy but not the x factor of Aubrey.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Got to remember Annan, Aubrey and to a lesser extent Grealy are still kids. All named in the Junior Wallabies. Grealy the only one with decent QPR exposure.

For mine , let them play some First Grade and learn from both playing and being part of the extended squad. We have plenty of X-factor already in our outside backs. Think Jock and Flooky will be wearing 22/23 once all fit and available, not someone just out of school.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Will be interested to see how Kalani Thomas performs in this trial. Had his wobbly boots on big time , bit surprised he was cleared to play.

Thought Jeans was very good when he came on to replace him. Would have been a difficult choice for Thorn if Tate was fit to play.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Will be interested to see how Kalani Thomas performs in this trial. Had his wobbly boots on big time , bit surprised he was cleared to play.

Thought Jeans was very good when he came on to replace him. Would have been a difficult choice for Thorn if Tate was fit to play.
Thomas can cover tackle but he certainly doesnt like the front on stuff. Need to get Gregan to teach him the judo roll.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Got to remember Annan, Aubrey and to a lesser extent Grealy are still kids. All named in the Junior Wallabies. Grealy the only one with decent QPR exposure.

For mine , let them play some First Grade and learn from both playing and being part of the extended squad. We have plenty of X-factor already in our outside backs. Think Jock and Flooky will be wearing 22/23 once all fit and available, not someone just out of school.
Not sure about Flook. I think he gives balance in the mix and is safe and fundamental. But so are a stack of other players. Also not sure about Jock wearing 22. This, to me, depends on who is wearing 12 ( IE : who is capable of sliding in one if required , and no , I don’t think Hamish Stewart is that guy )

I am curious about Lawson Creighton at 22 who I think can give you options at 10/12/15 replacement . I think I like Isaac Henry more than Hamish Stewart as starting 12.

Paisami takes 13 , Dags / Jock / Petaia as the back 3

Who slides into 23 then ? Ultimately I think it’s Aubrey - who I was saying all through last season has the biggest upside as a game breaker ( over say Mac ) . Probably best option for now though is Mac

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Once all fit and available you have Daugunu, Petaia, Vunivalu and Campbell as options for the back three.
Whoever misses out goes to the bench , unless Petaia plays 13 and Paisami goes to 12.
With any of those combinations X-factor and game breaker ability are well covered.
Aubrey could well get a run if others unavailable, but until then let’s see how he goes playing First Grade, most of his time last year was in Colts.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Ah of course …Vunivalu. D’oh. For whatever reason I thought he had moved on . Anyway ….Jock at 23 for me as the game breaker.

Not a fan of Paisami at 12. Lacks the ability to link and continually overplays his hand. Lacks judgment. But clearly he’ll play. And if he is played he’s better taking it in off better suited inside backs that can facilitate

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Once all fit and available you have Daugunu, Petaia, Vunivalu and Campbell as options for the back three.
Whoever misses out goes to the bench , unless Petaia plays 13 and Paisami goes to 12.
With any of those combinations X-factor and game breaker ability are well covered.
Aubrey could well get a run if others unavailable, but until then let’s see how he goes playing First Grade, most of his time last year was in Colts.
Not sure where Droasese is at the moment but add him to the list. He looked very good last year including some exciting outings at fullback for Wests

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Aubrey is surely a project for next year. Happy for him to get time in trials, and I thought he was good. But can’t see him as an option unless we have a number of injuries.

I thought Flook was very impressive last week. A number of good touches. Keen to see how he goes tomorrow.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Not sure where Droasese is at the moment but add him to the list. He looked very good last year including some exciting outings at fullback for Wests
I was wondering about him, assume he must be injured to have not appeared in either trial.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Fairly certain Aubrey is on a Reds development contract still, so there is no real expectation for him to be in the 23 this year. But I think he will push for a spot.

I imagine he will spend 2022 playing fullback for GPS Prem Grade, even though he is still Colts eligible.

There is some serious competition for spots in the back three at the Reds, and they surely can't hold onto them all in 2023 and beyond. It will be interesting to see who gets a few runs off the bench this season, as that is probably indicative of who will be around longer term.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
On the evidence of the last trial I'd have Grealy above Aubrey. If someone is sneaking in from this game I think Creighton might be more likely as a back up 10, though we haven't really seen any of him yet.
Recruiting has a specific criteria with height and body weight part of the matrix. For me, a solid fullback always best option in consideration of skill. Grealy a plug at best but let’s see what Petaia and Campbell bring this year.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Recruiting has a specific criteria with height and body weight part of the matrix. For me, a solid fullback always best option in consideration of skill. Grealy a plug at best but let’s see what Petaia and Campbell bring this year.
I don't see size as that big an issue here, certainly not once they've already signed. Either way it doesn't help Aubrey's case over Grealy - on the reds own numbers Grealy is taller (180cm vs 175cm) and heavier (86kg vs 83kg). Fwiw Campbell is no heavier and only 6cm taller than Grealy, but he's also almost 7 years older, while Grealy (and Aubrey) are both young enough to still grow, so it's hardly apples to apples.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
It is less about size and more about the ability of the body to endure the week to week grind of professional rugby. Development is not going to happen sitting on the pine in a bio-security bubble for a few month. Hope to see these young men compete in QPR.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
Aubrey is surely a project for next year. Happy for him to get time in trials, and I thought he was good. But can’t see him as an option unless we have a number of injuries.

I thought Flook was very impressive last week. A number of good touches. Keen to see how he goes tomorrow.
I hope Flook has worked on his tackling technique - an absolutely terrible miss in the first half that led to a try under the posts -- I haven't seen a miss like that in this Reds team for a while. Thought he had a decent second half after a so-so first half, but he didn't really excite me.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I hope Flook has worked on his tackling technique - an absolutely terrible miss in the first half that led to a try under the posts -- I haven't seen a miss like that in this Reds team for a while. Thought he had a decent second half after a so-so first half, but he didn't really excite me.
One of the finer pieces of hyperbole I’ve seen on here for a while.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Santos have invested a lot in this trial game, like last year, to continue the discussion of sponsors elsewhere there’s different value add measures. As part of the trial they’ve installed temporary stands and paid for field upgrades

6D107121-A777-4268-BD9D-6CF21BCDBE87.jpeg

B97EF021-8940-4581-819A-3B8209A694F7.jpeg

82D03E79-6C7A-4F67-B36D-716EC9ABE0B8.jpeg

04232FE2-8889-4A40-993B-8064B286C9A8.jpeg

C675D927-2082-438E-BEAF-BFCCA589AD4C.jpeg

Last edited:

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Lets hope RA, Reds and Waratahs are strong enough to keep them as a sponsor.

Tennis Australia gave in to protestors and online campaigns and dropped them.