• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
The ball is not out when the half touches the ball, the law is clear that would be a penalty and not an error from the ref in awarding it.
I think the issue is the law isn't actually clear - you have to know about a 2014 clarification.

Why that isn't actually in the lawbook is another one of rugby's mysteries.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
If the law is revised to ball out when the ball is touched, there's a reasonable chance it'll increase the number of knock-ons, as it would rush the action of the 9 (and those picking up the ball from a ruck who may have less safe hands). Endeavouring to make the game quicker by knocking off a second or two at some rucks could ultimately lead to more stoppages and scrums...

From a defender's and referee's point of view, I'd also argue it's far less clear when a ball is touched as opposed to picked up, which could muddy the waters a fair bit.

rapt

Stan Wickham (3)
If the law is revised to ball out when the ball is touched, there's a reasonable chance it'll increase the number of knock-ons, as it would rush the action of the 9 (and those picking up the ball from a ruck who may have less safe hands). Endeavouring to make the game quicker by knocking off a second or two at some rucks could ultimately lead to more stoppages and scrums...

From a defender's and referee's point of view, I'd also argue it's far less clear when a ball is touched as opposed to picked up, which could muddy the waters a fair bit.
Thats fair, i just have a gripe with players holding a hand on it at the ruck, it’s clearly available to play so you should be playing it, that or in those instances there should be “x” time to play it or ref calls balls out

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Thats fair, i just have a gripe with players holding a hand on it at the ruck, it’s clearly available to play so you should be playing it, that or in those instances there should be “x” time to play it or ref calls balls out
I just see it as such a low % improvement to game speed (if at all, as above) that I’d much rather a player set and ready themselves for the next play - whether it be a pass, box kick, or pick and go - and reduce the risk of error.

I do agree there should be more consistent timing and application of referees calling use it though

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
OK, too much downside to ball out when touched, but I still believe there is too much latitude given to halfbacks who often grasp and hold the ball with both hands when otherwise it is clear of the back of the ruck but it still isn't play on for the defence (Tate's effort highlighted above is an example). For clarity, Lonergan placed one hand on the ball which was clear of the ruck and the other on the backside of the last player in the ruck on Friday and it was held to be still in the ruck. There is no fair competition for the ball the way it is being adjudicated right now.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
It's interesting that people are talking about what the halfback is doing. I posted the photo expecting debate as to whether the ball is actually out of the ruck.

In which case the half can do what he wants

rapt

Stan Wickham (3)
It's interesting that people are talking about what the halfback is doing. I posted the photo expecting debate as to whether the ball is actually out of the ruck.

In which case the half can do what he wants
I think it got to there as many think with a hand on the ball like that, that the ball should be out.

But yes your one is a 50/50 dependant on who’s view as a referee you get, is there any Reds players “contesting” a ruck on their feet cause imo thats another one for me, if everyone has cleared the ruck is there a ruck to be offside etc

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I admit to having a poor memory, but I seem to recall quite a few years ago hearing a definition of a ball being out of a ruck was if a bird flying overhead was able to shit on the ball. This can only happen is the ball is past the last player and not covered by a leg.

I particularly hate when a ball is still in the ruck when a 9's hands are touching the ball, are they not playing the ball with their hands in a ruck which is a penalty if a 7 does it.