• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Farrell's 10-week high end ban halved partly due to "previous good behavior". What a fucking joke.

This is true though. If you haven't suspended him for previous incidents (and they were generally shoulder charges, not high tackles) then he has a good disciplinary record and gets credit for that.

The issue is that people want the book thrown at him because he hasn't received sufficient punishment for previous wrongdoings.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
This is true though. If you haven't suspended him for previous incidents (and they were generally shoulder charges, not high tackles) then he has a good disciplinary record and gets credit for that.

The issue is that people want the book thrown at him because he hasn't received sufficient punishment for previous wrongdoings.

I get that but the reduction is for "good behaviour" not for "bad behaviour but we just can't stay mad at you, you scamp".
It is understandable pique considering his truly deplorable record in all facets except the judiciary.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I get that but the reduction is for "good behaviour" not for "bad behaviour but we just can't stay mad at you, you scamp".

Good behaviour = not having previous suspensions and I think that also has a time limit of two or three years in the past.

It also looks at the type of offences so having a ban for a shoulder charge wouldn't necessarily mean you don't get a reduction for a lifting tackle.

I think it's a given that almost all suspensions come with a reduction for good behaviour and that is factored in to the initial number of weeks in the disciplinary schedule.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Good behaviour = not having previous suspensions and I think that also has a time limit of two or three years in the past.

It also looks at the type of offences so having a ban for a shoulder charge wouldn't necessarily mean you don't get a reduction for a lifting tackle.

I think it's a given that almost all suspensions come with a reduction for good behaviour and that is factored in to the initial number of weeks in the disciplinary schedule.
So every single first time offense will be halved? Just have the ordinary punishment as 5 weeks and then the discretion to double/triple it for repeat offenders. Why fuck around with the pretense.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)

I understand that it means that but I think the issue is that due to some questionable judiciary rulings in the past that lovely chap Farrell is still somehow a clean skin.
However, question. Does it really take into account the type of offence?
So you can get a good behaviour benefit for being a low life thug as long as you are an imaginative low life thug who can mix up the ways you try to cripple the opposition.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Farrell's 10-week high end ban halved partly due to "previous good behavior". What a fucking joke.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/122707031/owen-farrell-banned-for-five-matches

I'll be honest, I'm a little surprised it wasn't a mid range, call me cynical. I do wonder at times how much the publics response contributes to the outcome because there have been some odd outcomes over the years.

Seems rather fortunate that it results in zero impact for his ability to pull a shirt on for England.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Wouldn't in both these situations you have the knock on from where the player last touched it?

My take is that it isn't a knock on when he first starts losing the ball, it's when he actually loses it which is in the in goal.

If a player juggles the ball a couple of times then ultimately drops it, the knock on isn't where the first juggle occurred, it's where the last juggle happened.

It's really a question of possession, control and direction (forward arch) not the point where it was last touching you. I've seen it judged a range of ways by refs at various levels but generally the senarios where the inches matter are few between.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Player fails to cleanly gather a ball & in grabbing at it drags it back onto his foot, from there it's propelled forward & he regathers on the second attempt. Knock-on or not?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To my knowledge you can avoid a knock on by kicking the ball before it touches the ground but you can't do a drop kick from a mishandled ball.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No, if you knock on the ball and it hits your foot or you kick it, this is still a knock-on.

My opinion is that if you knock on but kick it back into your own hands, then play on.

I stand corrected!

Knock-on: When a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.

So the only way to prevent the knock on is by catching it before it hits the ground or another player.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Stupid question: can you throw the ball forward to yourself? Is that a knock on or a forward pass? Like a chip and collect except you lob it forward with your hands?

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Stupid question: can you throw the ball forward to yourself? Is that a knock on or a forward pass? Like a chip and collect except you lob it forward with your hands?

There's no stupid questions when it comes to rugby laws. I think you could throw it forward and regather, but you can be tackled in the midst of that action, just like a player juggling a pass. So there's no benefit to it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't think you can. That would be an intentional throw or pass forward which is a penalty to the opposition.

But you can juggle it right? the trick is to never get it under control, just play volleyball with it all the way down the field.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
But you can juggle it right? the trick is to never get it under control, just play volleyball with it all the way down the field.

Depends on interpretation - one interpretation is that whenever you deliberately volleyball it, you could be penalised.