• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Retiring from Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Hey Dan54 thanks for the input mate. I think, from chatting with the many minds on here, that's my problem, I am sure I want to play but I'm struggling to find a comp close enough to me that is at the level I'm keen to play.

I don't want to be that d-bag mid thirties guy revelling in my new found (comparative) youth smashing into the old guys, but I also don't want to be playing Reserve Grade with no intention of stepping up to A Grade (not that there's much of a risk of that happening) but my commitment probably wouldn't be at a level that the Club would want. I think I'll sleep on it. I may even go down and train with the boys for a while and see how the body handles that at least.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
A few years ago back in NZ I played in a social rugby team for Ponsonby. Best 3-4 years ever. We went undefeated for about 2 and a half years for something like 105 games or something and the team was lead by guys in the 40's who just loved playing. There was no pushing in the scrums and unlimited subs but it was real rugby apart from that.

We played the 5th and 4th grade teams from our club a few times too and they hated losing to us but we were desperate to get to 100 wins. One week, we had a call from Brian Williams (yes, the former All Black) asking if we could slot in a guy who was coming back from injury. Tony Koonwaiyou played a pretty good game that Saturday.

Good times.....

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Scoey, mate if you not sure it time to stop. Rugby is one game if you not commited to playing fully will see you end up getting injured. I love the game, played Goden Oldies up to last year, but at 58 have decided body ,even at that level it not worth the pain I get, mainly from a knee thats been crook for years. But even Golden Oldies if you go in too halfhearted you get bounced around by the 35-40yos that suddenly think they are hard rugby players. To be honest most Oldies I have played lately has been more like League, where the fitter ones just get the ball and run at you with no thought to setting anything up, somehow not what rugby is to me anyway.

Most golden oldie players are fantastic but you always get a couple of dickheads who try to live past glories that they never had.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
You've sort of mentioned one of the reasons I'm reluctant to go back to Club footy. I really don't want to be one of those guys running around in 'slow motion'.

I don't know what level A-grade is in Australia, but I think I can relate to most of what you've said. Except, I was never a top notch player, the highest level I ever played in was 2nd team at a club in the first division in South Africa. The first division is club competition one below Currie Cup level, and where the players involved in the provinces play when they are making recovery back to provincial rugby. In fact, it used to be mandatory for provincial players to be a member of some club below the provincial level, so back in those days we would often train with some of these guys. That said, the 2nd team was a big step down from 1sts, so as I say, my level was never 'top notch'.

As the years went on, and I moved locations, I dropped down the leagues. I've ended up in England for the last 9 years, for most of that have played at a fairly low level club here. And you know what, it's been some of the most fun rugby of my life! I'm lucky though, in that England has an incredibly deep level of leagues, so you can always find your place. I'm a naturally fit guy, but can't maintain the size and strength needed for a decent level. I also have/had a large group of expat friends from South Africa (with the odd kiwi and aussie thrown in), all of who played at a pretty decent level some time in the past, and we all joined the same club and dominated their 2nd and now 3rd team. Most of us could be playing 1sts, but we don't want to or don't have time for training, so we pitch up on Saturdays for a game. Most of us are backs, or loose forwards, and the grizzly old English forwards love us. They just need to do the job up front, get us clean ball and we have a go, running from anywhere, and most of the time paying off. We went unbeaten for almost two seasons. I'm not saying the rugby is a walk over, it's not, and it's certainly pretty physical because that's the strength of a lot of the players at this level, but defences are less organised and it allows for some really fun rugby from both sides.

After that essay, my point is, don't judge those guys running around in 'slow motion'. That describes our forward pack, with the a few exceptions, and even some of our backs at times, but I promise you, we all have a lot of fun!

The only problem? Injuries are still going to happen, they always will. You've got to decide if you can live with that or not. At the moment I'm 'retired' again because of a constantly dislocating shoulder. I'm yet to decide if I get it fixed again, or just bow out 'gracefully' as I probably should.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Great post Mank! Thanks for sharing!

Mate to start with it sounds like you're well beyond me in terms of your playing ability/level. Most people in Aus I don't think use the term A grade. My club only has the firsts and seconds which we call a grade and reserve grade. The division within which we play changes though depending on results etc.
Anyway, back to your post and experiencing something like what you have in Eng etc would be amazing. Just to have that choice in competitions and grades etc would be great!
I agree that injuries are going to happen and I may be kidding myself not wanting to have an injury retire me but I guess I have decided I'm young enough to have another go but I just don't want to be playing on a team that is in a different place to me. Unless I can value add, I'm not sure i want to be there.
It may just be that I'm over thinking it all and all I need to do is tape the body up, don the boots and get out there again! :)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Tight Head or Loose Head Scoey?
Haha! Tight head - lock.

Nah it's just something that's always amazed me. These guys that seem to be able to think on the run etc and have time to make decisions etc on the pitch.
Now I have half a brain off the field but once that whistle blows its like I lose half my hearing, I lose all peripheral vision and you can forget thinking one step ahead of my opponent. I'm flat out running and breathing at the same time.
I exaggerate of course but it amazes me that I can be so bereft of cognitive ability on the pitch when other guys turn into geniuses as soon as that pill touches their fingers.

Country Kid

Chris McKivat (8)
OMG Scoey you have just made me realise I haven't played rugby for well over 20 years - since 1989 whilst a 'mature age' (29-30 yr old) student at the University of New England. It was a couple of good years playing 2nd grade level with 18 and 19 year old students - many were very new and raw to rugby. Ended up as captain of the team and really enjoyed helping those younger guys develop in rugby and eliminate most of their crazy hot-headed antics on the field.

So maybe coaching could be the go - particularly with 16s to 19s. Such a critcal age where rugby can pick up young guys new to the game and hopefully have long, rewarding playing careers.

As for me these days, I get very enjoyable exercise by dancing, namely Ceroc, it ticks all the boxes associated with rugby: exercise, social, thinking/creativity (to interpret the music and lead your partner). Potential for injuries too - so important to get into reasonable shape, particularly the abs and thighs.

dudebudstud

Ward Prentice (10)
Why not give refereeing a go?

This is what I did. I stopped playing in my early 20's as university, and then work made it difficult to commit to playing and training. I wanted to get back into playing but my knees aren't what they used to be so I started up refereeing a couple of years ago, almost a full 10 years after last playing!
I have to say I am really enjoying it and it has brought me a new understanding and enjoyment of the game.

The social element is still there, the training is there(but not as physical), and being right in the thick of it means you have the best seat in the house. As well if you really want to do some coaching, I think referring should be mandatory. Reffing schools rugby includes an element of coaching/mentoring and overall you really see the intricacies of the laws and how they are interpreted and used in play.

Finally reffing is a great way to give back to the game and up and coming players. Many ex players get into coaching as a way to stay in the game, but there is always a shortage of refs.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
This is what I did. I stopped playing in my early 20's as university, and then work made it difficult to commit to playing and training.

This is what makes it hard I find. You love the game and my club but it just takes so much time away from other parts of life. You never want to let the team down but sometimes there are just other things to do on a Saturday. I really enjoy my fishing and during the season the boat just gets moth balled. It takes a financial toll also as ground entry and a few beers each weekend add up very quickly. I am single but I have seen it take its toll on family life also.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
This is what makes it hard I find. You love the game and my club but it just takes so much time away from other parts of life. You never want to let the team down but sometimes there are just other things to do on a Saturday. I really enjoy my fishing and during the season the boat just gets moth balled. It takes a financial toll also as ground entry and a few beers each weekend add up very quickly. I am single but I have seen it take its toll on family life also.

Yep.....it's definitely been harder since having the kids. Now, I'mpretty straight up with the clubs I go to. I tell them that I'm just looking to have some good hard fun, I can't train twice a week (sometimes I can't train at all) and I won't be turning up 90min before kick-off.

I still get asked to play up the grades occasionally but usually that's a tough one because that another 2 hrs or so I'm gonna be away from home. I play in aband that gigs most weekends and my wife runs her own photography business so that extra time can be tough to explain to the missus.....this will probably be my last year running around the park.

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
Very hard decisions can often leave emotional scars that can hurt more than the physical ones left behind after the years of playing. My advice to all is just do your best while you can and dont stop trying. Dont look for excuses but give yourself a goal or time line.5 seasons ago I set a goal to play with my son. Last season I got to play a game of 1st grade with my son. I played at #1 and he was at #2 we played together for about 60 minutes. That 60 minutes in 1sts will last in my memory and always be the greatest rugby achievement of my life. My son has now gone onto Uni in a capital city so I wont have the same opportunity again.....So pick a goal and just try your hardest to achieve and you will be satisfied with the outcome because you tried...... By the way I am married and still have the same great wife of 26 years and 2 wonderful daughters

Status
Not open for further replies.