• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Richie McCaw Cheat or genius

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Nothing wrong with the gator roll as long as it's not around the neck.
I know refs allow it. Never really understood why.

Take your pick from

16.3 Rucking

(a) Players in a ruck must endeavour to stay on their feet.

Sanction: Penalty kick

(b)A player must not intentionally fall or kneel in a ruck. This is dangerous play.

(c)A player must not intentionally collapse a ruck. This is dangerous play.

T

Train Without a Station

Strewthcobber as long as you are removing the player from the ruck it's legal. The law requires you to endeavor to remain on your feet in the ruck. As you try to remove them from the ruck, unless you were ineffective it would be legal.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Presumably, if Player A is part of a ruck and Player B grabs him he (B) then becomes part of the ruck. If B then drops to the ground in order to roll A out of the ruck, surely B is contravening the laws @Struthcobber listed above.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
We're obviously not going to agree on this, and by practice and referees interpretation you are correct.

But for mine, if you make contact with the opposition and then take him off the ball and to the ground by rolling him sideways (as Richie mimed, but didn't describe!) you are a)in a ruck, b) not endevouring to stay on your feet, c) intentianally falling and d)collapsing the ruck.

It would dramatically change pro rugby rucks as we know them, but it's there in the laws...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Presumably, if Player A is part of a ruck and Player B grabs him he (B) then becomes part of the ruck. If B then drops to the ground in order to roll A out of the ruck, surely B is contravening the laws @Struthcobber listed above.

How would that be different to any cleanout? The aim of a cleanout is to get the opposition off their feet.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
How would that be different to any cleanout? The aim of a cleanout is to get the opposition off their feet.
I've heard a few good arguments that that statement is everything wrong with rugby these days!

I'd argue the aim of the clean out is to get yourself or your team mates in between the opposition and the ball.

The laws don't say you have to stay on your feet, just that you have to try to.

Agian, Richie said it well at 2:30 in the vid - win the shoulder battle, push up, and clear them away. You also hear about "planes taking off". It gets you in a good position to "endevour to stay on your feet".

The gator roll is the opposite - you're taking the opposition out of play by deliberately leaving your feet and taking them with you

J

john mcgomery

He's fucking brilliant all I can say- master of the art at being an open side flanker! Fucking beautiful!

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
There's the McCaw way and there's the right way ( I think the sinners have won on this one ... most of the silverware is already in the vault ) .

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
There's the McCaw way and there's the right way ( I think the sinners have won on this one . most of the silverware is already in the vault ) .
There's a fair few sad & lame posts in this thread but you may have just nabbed the choccies with that one.

ps OH SHIT MORE BAD NEWS.

MCCAW, AT 34, IS STILL THE FITTEST ALL BLACK.

"HE MUSTVE CHEATED ON THE BEEP TEST" SCREAM GAGR

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11471220

I THOUGHT QWERTY HAD DECREED MCCAW WOULD NEVER PLAY ANOTHER TEST WFT QWERTY LIED TO ME

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The implication was the McCaw way has proved a winner ( ie. Silverware , despite our moaning on the Aussie side of the ditch) ... I also mentioned in an earlier post I wish he had an Australian grandfather and was 20 years old ... let me spell it out ... I would have liked Ritchie on our side . Hope that helps clarify your comprehension of the post .

Status
Not open for further replies.