• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Richie Mccaw retires

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Richard Hinds in today's Telegraph:

"McCaw’s problem was he wasn’t a Wallaby
For all our bleating about Richie McCaw’s supposedly dirty tactics and constant yap, his only real sin was not being Australian.........."

Behind the paywall but stuff.co.nz have this choice quote:

"There is a very simple reason McCaw deserves rich praise. He was bloody good. Too good for the Wallabies far more often than not.

"The vital element in any great rivalry is not the differences but the similarities. McCaw was reviled in Australia because he played the game the way Australians like to think they play it. He was tough, talented, bloody-minded. A winner.

"For all our bleating about McCaw's supposedly dirty tactics and constant yap, his only real sin was not being Australian. It's not too late to say we wish he was."

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Amazing career, Richie McCaw is unique... an inspiring leader & valuable player for his country... I wish him all the best... Always enjoyed watching him play super rugby or internationals...

Enjoy the view from the top pilot McCaw... Safe travels...

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The part where he encouraged the crowd to boo him.

The part where he never had a genuine compliment for the opposition team.

Don't get me wrong, he is undoubtedly the greatest of the modern era and probably shoe in for GOAT status, but beyond his excellence he's not necessarily easy to like.

But I don't expect Kiwis to be able to see that. Just like in my eyes the Aus cricket team never cross the line with their sledging.

You obviously never listened to his after match speeches, he was pretty glowing about Wallabies in the presentation of the World Cup, mind you I suspect you had turned off your tv by then?? I thought he usually gave teams credit, but then you gotta hear what you hear as you say.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm sure Richie is not lost to the game. He is bound to appear for the "Classic All Blacks" in the future, especially when they play the "Classic Wallabies"!

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
McCaw from the side.jpg

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Lame meme like that would be an ill-fitting contrail for this thread.

The lauding from the foreigners so often comes addended with a denigratory snipe. "What a great player, congratulations, ps, in from the side hands off 7 haha, I only drink when Mccaws offside HAHAHA". I suppose it's a coping mechanism given the punishment he's meted out to Australia over the last 14 years.

The man himself took the lame jibes of the losers in glacially good grace for all those years but I imagine privately, the "Mccaw's a Cheat" thing, The Narrative of the Lost and Butthurt, only served to stiffen his resolve. As if it needed any stiffening at all. Probably forged the fucker in fire. "Oh really? And George Smith doesnt do that at all? Yeah well fuck you, get ready to lose another fucking rugby game."

NZ without Mccaw?

Won 12, lost 7.

68%.

On the field for 1/3RD OF ALL BLACKS VICTORIES.

EVER.

IRON WILL.

IRON HEART.

168199ea-ab2e-443d-8ec1-30e946311220_zps77gmhq9k.png

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Anyone who thinks that McCaw was slipping a little bit in terms of his on-field play just isn't watching the game.

IMO, only Pocock could possibly rank higher in terms of best 7 in the world but only because he is so much better than everyone over the ball.

But take a re-look at the break-down stats forcefan did for the RWC and the Bledisloe and RC. McCaw is consistently one of the top 3 All Blacks at the breakdown - if not No.1.

He could have easily gone another year I reckon but I think the timing right now is perfecter the ABs - and as usual, Richie is all about the team first.

Legend. Greatest ever.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
From memory he had 54 ruck involvements in the final. Fucking massive.

Did I get that right?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
George Smith is a better overall player but ok. He just smashed Toulon.

Greater longevity too.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I have to agree with that. George is absolutly amazing.
Hard to compare, Smith never had the calibre of players around him that Richie had, but Smith didn't win as much as Richie..

Both absolute legends.. I still loving Smith over there still showing them they are rubbish.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hard to compare, Smith never had the calibre of players around him that Richie had, but Smith didn't win as much as Richie..

Gee Tomikin you make it sound like Smith had a bunch of mugs around him. Bernie, Gregan, Burkey, the world class Nate Sharpe, and a few others might have something to say about that.....

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Gee Tomikin you make it sound like Smith had a bunch of mugs around him. Bernie, Gregan, Burkey, the world class Nate Sharpe, and a few others might have something to say about that...
Burke and Sharpe!! See he had to play with none Brumbies!!!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk