• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Richie Mccaw retires

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
I'm not gonna bother with the 'who's better' debate, but as far as 'greater longevity' goes, George Smith stopped playing test rugby 6 years ago. When comparing their longevity, I don't think you're really comparing apples with apples.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I agree Grant, but if I don't, someone else will, George Smith stopped playing Test Rugby in 2013. He played ~22 mins against the B&I Lions, not that he would remember it. ;)

I do think though that he probably had plenty of Test footy left in him and this is a popular opinion held by many Australians that I know. He was 'retired' before he reached his use by date due to our fortunate glut of openside talent.

He ended up with 110 Tests in 2009, has played well since then (evidenced by his 2013 selection) and continues to do so. Since then the Wallabies have played an additional 84 Tests. In a purely hypothetical world it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he would've played a similar numbers of Tests to Richie. But as you say, definitely not apples and apples.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
I know he played in 13 and I know he had a lot more test rugby in him in 09. I'm not saying he stopped playing in 09 cause he wasn't up to it, I'm pointing out that not playing test rugby for 6 years (bar a cameo against the Lions) means a lot less wear and tear on him than McCaw has endured.

I disagree that he'd have had a similar number of appearances to Richie though. He'd have had substantially more - he was always a guy who tended not to get injured and he had a decent sized lead on McCaw by 09. He'd have been up around 160/70, I reckon.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
George Smith is a better overall player but ok. He just smashed Toulon.

Greater longevity too.

:rolleyes: Smith may have had greater longevity, but we tend to judge players by their Test records etc, but qwerty I am sure you will count games of marbles if you thought it would make McCaw a lesser player . I know of a number of players that have played club rugby into their 40s and probably dominated as much as George Smith or Richie McCaw, unfortunately they were perhaps playing against players that weren,t top internationals.
But you are correct there is no argument as Gerge is a better player, as Richie no longer plays, so most 7s playing could also be said to be better players:D

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You should actually watch George Smith play. He dominates club rugby unlike McCaw did at the Crusaders the last few years.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah I think George was the youngest player to get to 100 test caps. It really is amazing he got to a hundred tests and his knees held out. Especially with all that kneeling on the ground at ruck time....., :)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Go watch Wasps vs Toulon to see why George is the true GOAT. He has actual genuine ball playing skills. Regularly takes the ball off the lineout and first receiver to link with the backs. Dominant hits and carries too. Against a Toulon pack of Manoa, Juan Smith, Steffon Armitage, Lobbe, Vermeulen, Gorgodze. Test quality.

Last year he played every game for Lyon at #8 in a shit team that got relegated. Was their best player every game. He's a freak. He's 35 and still top 3 best 7s in the world.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Go watch Wasps vs Toulon to see why George is the true GOAT. He has actual genuine ball playing skills. Regularly takes the ball off the lineout and first receiver to link with the backs. Dominant hits and carries too. Against a Toulon pack of Manoa, Juan Smith, Steffon Armitage, Lobbe, Vermeulen, Gorgodze. Test quality.

Last year he played every game for Lyon at #8 in a shit team that got relegated. Was their best player every game. He's a freak. He's 35 and still top 3 best 7s in the world.
Also did you see him play for the BarBar's came on and smashed that Irish bloke into ten rows back..

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Richie tops the New Years honours (& on his birthday, no less) but it doesn't carry a title so he's not "Sir RM" just Richie McCaw ONZ:

Sundry other AB scored lesser gongs as well e.g. Carter, Nonu, but nothing for Shag or his helpers as yet.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/754...joins-exclusive-group-but-won-t-be-Sir-Richie
Since he's a Member, he'd be Richie McCaw, MONZ, which is unfortunate for such a great player, as anatomically the mons is very close to being a fluffybunny.
Here endeth the anatomy lesson.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
damn, if I'd known his birthday falls on the last day of every year I could've shoehorned that into the subtitles for his movie
http://captiongenerator.com/73988/Richie-Mccaw-The-Movie-Trailer

"Mccaw, born aged 1, refused to retreat from his prostrate position all over the womb until the last possible moment in order to maximise his potential in age/weight grade junior rugby. "Get onside you little sh*t", remonstrated his labour-pained mum, but to no avail."

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Still Sir Richie GOAT as far as I'm concerned, regardless of what the NZ government decide to call him.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's true. Such is Richie's GOAT-ness that he transcends dimensions. He can thus exist in both our world, and that of Westeros -- among others.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
As a mature-aged Rugby supporter, I much prefer the title "Sir Richard", as "ONZ" = Offside New Zealander, and we wouldn't want him to carry that "tag" for the rest of his life, would we?!