• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rio Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
RT, re Beach Volleyball, they definitely are. It is quite ridiculous.

Anyway, how's this. Alicia Quirk played every minute of every match. That's amazing. She locked absolutely shagged come the end of the final but never gave up. She's an unheralded start.

It was an interesting strategy, particularly in the final, considering Coach Walsh left three unused players on the bench.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If you ever need a blueprint of how to win an Olympic gold then this team is what you would look at. They have been preparing for this since the Olympics became an option. The way they have introduced players, from other sports, and managed their loads has been outstanding. Also the key for me is that if you ever get a chance to talk to them they are all outstanding people.

Tim Walsh should also be congratulated. He managed the squad superbly.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
They're ridiculous yes.

Hardly an IOC issue though.

K_80vvbaIXt3QREhIrOt0gpXRtS07mn3QHkx-IJJCdnuItZTp__5--sX3pIHMnip4MGm3OnRhgQarV6aLezb2BtXUiUmxZG04N3YFSG0IHvQ4Ou9tjfmRMfImRSgLc62O6zrD9auQEzCh-tGiaF6XBvx0A=w325-h452-nc

They're allowed to wear anything between the left and the right, and they've all chosen to do so.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Some of them have told their own to grow some grace. Just disappointment so some of them are losing it a bit at us.

"I think we've got so used to the All Blacks winning that some of us have forgotten how to be gracious losers. Aussie deserved the win, and AWESOME effort by the girls to get silver!"

kiwi guy

It's probably no worse than what happens on these pages after a super match (Brumbies Highlanders for recent example). Nothing to get too excited about.
Great game and came down to one simple error.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
It can be done anytime you like. Its not just a pre game ritual or a post game celebration. If you ever watch school boy rugby over here, sideline supporters will often bust out a haka mid game. The girls would have done it as a mark of respect to their fans and opposition.
I don't really care what you guys and girls do with it.

I was replying to a specific post stating otherwise.

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
It's probably no worse than what happens on these pages after a super match (Brumbies Highlanders for recent example). Nothing to get too excited about.
Great game and came down to one simple error.

For sure, second place at the Olympics is no bad achievement.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Ric Charlesworth thinks this is a soft medal and that hockey and basketball are much tougher events.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-...labelled-soft-by-former-hockey-player/7709610

Now let's look at his claims

Basketball (last 5 olympics) - USA gold, Aus 3 silvers and twice bronze, other teams to place - Brazil x2, Russia x 2, France x 1.

Hockey (last 5 olympics) - Great Britian, China and South Korea are the only teams to feature once on the podium. Netherlands, Aus and Germany very dominant.

That doesn't strike me as a terribly open competition or tough for the USA. In both sports the same 3/4 teams have shared the majority of the spoils so he is incorrect.

Now the hockey players are struggling this year so maybe he is just grumpy but I think he needs to fuck off.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Absolutely wonderful win! I'm stoked for them.

I haven't got FTA so I tried to watch it on the channel 7 streaming service. Its an absolute disaster!!! I got to watch 20 second grabs by toggling between channels before it hung up.

Its a massive fail by Channel 7, they have totally under-resourced their site and as soon as something is on that a lot of people want to watch, it crashes. I tried to register a complaint, that crashed too! Haha. Complaints section overloaded, I wonder why?

You'll hate this - I watched in in NZ via a VPN and the stream was flawless, just a minute or so behind live action (also had it showing on Sky TV). Unfortunately, 7 do have "form" here and the stream really is a hit and miss affair. Gave up on a few SS streams during the season, just unwatchable.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I've always been a fan of Charlesworth, but his criticism is both ungracious and uncalled for in my view.

Firstly, this group of girls, like the hockey teams and basketball teams, have no doubt made enormous sacrifices to win this gold.

More to the point, one of the reasons that this is such a great win, IMO, is that the New Zealanders and Canadians in particularly, but also the Brits, US, are tremendous teams who would have seen themselves as having legitimate shots at gold before the tournament started.

I just don't see why he needed to make such an unfair comment.

As an aside, I genuinely feel for Portia Woodman. Such a talented player - just had one of those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.