• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rio Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Fiji come out to play in the second half and run in two tries fairly quickly without much fanfare. Tuisova is more than a handful one-on-one.

19-5 to Fiji.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Second Pool round underway, Australia 26-12 Spain bouncing back from France flogging. NZ's chance to get things back on track v Kenya is at 6:30 AEST. Gotta win that & GB by good margins to make up for Japan result, tho.

Full results here:

http://www.worldrugby.org/tournament/1672/results

Just to add to NZ's pain, SBW is out've the Games with a partial Achilles rupture & Joe Weber has a shoulder injury that may yet rule him out, too. Sione Molia comes into the squad.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Same as the first game. Very low IQ shown. So far all torn there has been 4 line outs for us and we have managed to concede 3 tries from them. Infact stannard has thrown in all 3. Very little patience shown as well, we had a set piece on their line, clearly get over the advantage line and for some reason try a miracle pop pass on the way down, would of scored if we just held on to the ball.

I don't want to sound like I'm down on the team, but they are beating themselves and not the opposition. Stannard if you include the 3 line outs and a terrible grubber through on the siren with a sweeper back in the first game has directly cost the team 28 points.

Our chances of getting through are slim now, we will basically have to beat South Africa to have a chance as our for and against most likely won't be good enough.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Bad miss by the Japanese kicker resulted in a 2 point loss to GB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Aussie Mens 7s need to recruit athletes from other sports like the Womens team to do a leap of quality. These guys are not even the best athletes of their code. This is the only way that an AFL or NRL player could play at the Olympics and win a medal for their country.

The Australian Olympic Committee should invest more money, they are two golden medals for the Committee, OZ has the athletes needed to be the power number one in this.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
So, lets review the NZ position at the end of day one.
  • Upset loss to a smaller rugby nation, which lulls the other competitors into a false sense of security? Check.
  • Injury to a front line player that opens up space for the late introduction of a travelling reserve? Check.
  • The Great One is in Rio under the cover of "enjoying the games", but is totally not a secret travelling reserve? Check.
Yep. It is all going exactly to plan.

Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

#Richie4Gold2016

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
So, lets review the NZ position at the end of day one.
  • Upset loss to a smaller rugby nation, which lulls the other competitors into a false sense of security? Check.

• Small rugby nation? In what planet do you live?

122,000 registered players according Wikipedia

In ten years many of the Pacific Islanders players are going to prefer to play for Japan before OZ. Currently they pay better wages than OZ with few wins at top level. With more wins they are going to have more supporters, more players and more money to invest

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Well I never had much of a regard for the way the men's 7's were managed/coached and a lot of things in the last series left me wondering. Oddly enough I wasn't surprised they lost in the openers. I never assumed they would get anywhere near the medals. Good luck to them if they still do, but they are a poor comparison to the workload, ethics and intensity of the Women's team.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
If we beat South Africa we definitely go through.

If we lose to South Africa we're almost certainly the 3rd of the 3rd place teams and would miss the quarter finals.

Just had a bit of a look at a loss

If Kenya beat Japan by plenty, and we have a close loss plus other results go as expected, we might sneak through (Japan +0, we're -3 points diff at the moment

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I seem to recall a few of us (very few as I remember) were critical of the make up of the Mens' teams in lead up games, especially not playing the top side consistently and having misgivings about where that would place us in the Rio tournament, only to have the usual apologists for the powers that be to deride us for not accepting that the coach knew what he was doing and that it would all turn out right on the night. Not looking at all bloody good atm.

As posters, we may not be good coaches or selectors, but many a critical observation of the way things are done in Aus rugby by the hierarchy are well placed.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Huh?

Does losing to France and clearly not being as good on a relative basis to the women's team mean those assumptions are fair?

My statement was in reference to what I had observed over the previous year (World Series Seven's as I referred to), not just on how they played against France.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I seem to recall a few of us (very few as I remember) were critical of the make up of the Mens' teams in lead up games, especially not playing the top side consistently and having misgivings about where that would place us in the Rio tournament, only to have the usual apologists for the powers that be to deride us for not accepting that the coach knew what he was doing and that it would all turn out right on the night. Not looking at all bloody good atm.

As posters, we may not be good coaches or selectors, but many a critical observation of the way things are done in Aus rugby by the hierarchy are well placed.

I thought one of the reasons for so many players being used during the World Series was injury and the tight schedule's causing injuries. We'll know how we stand once we see what happens against the Blitzbokke.

The women's team had Caslick who had a blinder in the middle of the field able to break the line and throw long passes onto players in space. We've got Stannard in the mens who is wily and professional but really needs to bring his A game tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.