• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Robbie Deans Report Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Bullshit. To say that none of Robinson, Moore, TPN, Elsom, Pocock, Genia, Cooper, Giteau, Ioane, Mitchell or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would make an ABs side is dreary pessimism of the worst sort.

Pfft. Robinson has just come back, form unknown, Moore ditto, TPN OUT, Elsom is not playing better than Kaino, Pocock is not gonna get picked over McCaw, Genia maybe, Cooper over Carter????, Ioane and Mitchell - well 1 could displace Ranger maybe, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would not be picked over Mils on current form. I left Giteau out as you must be kidding. So a couple of "possible picks".
Hardly bullshit.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Pfft. Robinson has just come back, form unknown, Moore ditto, TPN OUT, Elsom is not playing better than Kaino, Pocock is not gonna get picked over McCaw, Genia maybe, Cooper over Carter????, Ioane and Mitchell - well 1 could displace Ranger maybe, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would not be picked over Mils on current form. I left Giteau out as you must be kidding. So a couple of "possible picks".
Hardly bullshit.

Genia would be well suited to their game and they are looking fro an openside backup so Pocock has a chance.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) maybe but should could he displace? Mils? Nah. Conrad? Nah. He'd work for them on the bench.

With all those young speedsters coming through and people like Sivi and Rok around, there is no winger in the world who would really stand a chance. Maybe Habana but not on current form.

The Wallabies problem really is too many good / decent players in critical positions ,and too few great ones. Call me Un-Australian if you wish but its reality.

Kiwi depth suddenly starting to look scary.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the world's best 13 who doesn't ever play there. He can also play a bit of 12 and wing. He's not a fullback.

Cory Jane is a terrific wing / fullback.

They wouldn't be competing for the same spot in my team.

All this - "we have no centres" is a crime against evidence.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Pfft.

Worlds best 13 my arse.

Our centres have been a weak point since Mortlock stopped being a regular. I do agree that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should be 13, but then I'd be concerned who was 15.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Your arse.

Imagine if Giteau and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could already have had 3 years at 12 and 13, like they should have? What centre problem?

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Your arse.

Imagine if Giteau and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could already have had 3 years at 12 and 13, like they should have? What centre problem?

Agreed. Poor selections in Super and Test rugby is one of the worst problems in Australian rugby in my opinion. Too many conflicting interests.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Your arse.

Sorry, are you saying that you'd select my arse over AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13? Hmm.. close call I guess.

To an extent I agree with you Scarfie. They have been stuffed around by too many positional changes. In saying that, this is the Robbie Deans report card, and they were being stuffed around by others before he became involved. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is still continuously stuffed around at the Brumbies.

There is however, very little to no evidence to suggest that the statement 'AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the worlds best 13' can be vindicated.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I posted by backline up somewhere a while ago: nothing has changed.

Genia and QC (Quade Cooper) miles ahead.

The best fullbacks are Hynes and Turner. One starts, one on the bench. Followed by Shepherd, I would assume, but we haven't seen him in a while. JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale I don't think are quite there yet, and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is not a fullback.

Blind side wing is Ioane. Openside wing is Mitchell. Centres are Giteau and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

The only hard part of picking this side is deciding on the 12 and the inside backs reserve.

Deans makes this exercise so much harder by picking EVERYONE out of position.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Your and my backlines are the same, except I think we need to trial others at 12 if Gits poor form continues.

However I would suggest that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is as much a fullback, if not more than Hynes and Turner. In saying that I prefer him at 13.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
PS Some say AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) shouldn't be 13 because he doesn't pass. IMO Mortlock didn't do much of that either, but was still considered worlds best.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Your arse.

What could have been? And would have worked a treat if they had a decent 9 and 10 post GG and Bernie. Gits got thrown the 10 jersey because the cupboard was bare.

mmmm Gerrard well lets not bring that up :)

I also think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the best centre with Digby close behind. But when Gerrard left and Shepherd got injured and latham left the FB spot was bare also. Rabbit was tried and then not trusted and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was persisted with.

Now he's still being persisted with.

D

daz

We could have paid Latham more and he would have stayed. Or Gerrard.

If the game this week turns into a disaster, gather some coin in the forums and get the Wallabies circa 99 to lace the boots up again....

Scotty

David Codey (61)
We could have paid Latham more and he would have stayed. Or Gerrard.

You can blame the ARU for that one. And I believe that Latham wasn't particularly happy with the negotiating from Pat Howard. I'm sure Noddy will be on to defend him though.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Dingo and the Bench

There has been a lot of talk on various threads about the use (or not) of the bench by Dingo this year.

There was an interesting table in last nights programme showing replacements which makes interesting reading.

Game 1 Men in Gold V Fiji (4 out of 7 from bench)
Ma'afu for Alexander @ 60
S Finger for Edmonds @ 55
Cowan for Ma'afu @ 61
Hodgson for Pocock @ 55
Mitchell for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) @ 55

Game 2 Barbars v The Unwashed (5 out of 7 from bench)
Hynes for Bieber @ 47
McCutcheon for Hodgson @ 50
Douglas for Chisholm @ 63
Fitzpartick for Edmonds @ 58
Slipper for Cowan @ 40

Game 3 Men in Gold vs The Unwashed (5 out of 7 from bench)
Gilbert Beale for Bieber @ 74
Hodgson for Bam Bam @ 78
Chisholm for Mumm @ 68
Edmonds for S Finger @ 78
Slipper for Daley @ 66

Game 4 Barbars vs The Unwashed (5 out of 7 from bench)
Barnes for Chambers @ 13
Hodgson for McCutcheon @ 51
Chisholm for Simmons @ 45
Slipper for Weeks @ 51
Edmonds for TPN @ 44
TPN for Cowan @ 73

Game 5 Men in Gold vs The Unwashed (4 out of 7 from bench)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for Ioane @ 63
Chisholm for Mumm @ @ 54
Slipper for Ma'afu @ 72
Edmonds for S Finger @ 72

Game 6 Men in Gold vs Irish (2 out of 7 from bench)
Gilbert B for Horne @ 40
Slipper for Daley @ 54

Game 7 Men in Gold vs Bokke (6 out of 7 from bench)
Barnes for Gits @ 74
McCalman for Dick Brown @ 70
Mumm for Sharpe @ 72
Simmons for Mumm @ 68
Moore for S Finger @ 54
Slipper for Robinson @ 60

Game 8 Sunlight vs the Darkness (6 out of 7 from bench)
Gilbert for Horne @ 54
A Finger for Gits @ 76
Burgess for Sanchez @ 75
Simmons for Sharpe @ 41
Slipper for Ma'afu @ 57
S Finger for Moore @ 41

Game 9 Sunlight vs the Darkness (1 out of 7 from bench)
Simmons for Sharpe @ 41

Game 10 Men in Gold vs Saffers (3 out of 7 from bench)
McCalman for Dick Brown @ 53
Simmons for Sharpe @ 62
Slipper for Ma'afu @ 47

Game 11 Men in Gold vs Saffers (7 out of 7 from bench)
Barnes for Gits @ 71
A Finger for Schmoo @ 73
Burgo for Sanchez @ 55
Dick Brown for McCalman @ 74
Mumm for Chisholm @ 54
Clipper for Ma'afu @ 22
S Finger for Moore @ 65

I have ruled out Blood bin replacements and enforced yellow card subs.
Several of those above are for injuries rather than tactical subs.

Out of a possible 77 replacements, we have seen Dingo make 48 (if my maths is correct).
Of these 48 replacements 14 have been with 10 minutes or less to go with not much time to make an impact.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Who selects the assistants? What was Dick Graham's credentials apart from being a Queenslander? Why Jim Williams? Can't they get Trevor Gillmeister or wally fullerton-smith as defence coach? Does it all fall on Deans?

Status
Not open for further replies.