• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 1 2017 Waratahs v Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Kiwi teams are going to smash us after that effort....lacking absolute take no prisoners Mongrels in the Tahs atm!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's such a soft yellow card. Disappointing when I think the ref has been pretty good tonight.
It's got to be though. He took him way beyond the horizontal. If Folau doesn't brace his fall with his arm he lands very badly.

Hardwick put him down softly but he'd already put Folau in a dangerous position.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Folau plying his trade off distant memories

He definitely didn't look the goods, but the Tahs backline in general looked very average. Phipps looked a bit lost while he was on and Hegarty looked out of place. Horne was probably the best of the backs and still didn't light things up really.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
We absolutely gifted the Waratahs that win. Watching us throw away multiple attacking lineouts was beyond frustrating.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Incredibly scrappy game but glad the Tahs did enough.

Certainly need to improve next week.

Australian teams need to get better at wet weather football. Neither tactics nor skills were adequate for the conditions.

I thought Skelton was close to the Tahs best. Really good all round game.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
The force were absolutely our own worst enemies - so many turnovers in good positions. That tahs try was absolute rubbish off the back of 3 or 4 very suspect decisions.

Tahs not going to trouble too many this year. Think it might be another kiwi dominated year

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Incredibly scrappy game but glad the Tahs did enough.

Certainly need to improve next week.

Australian teams need to get better at wet weather football. Neither tactics nor skills were adequate for the conditions.

I thought Skelton was close to the Tahs best. Really good all round game.

Easily. Even took a few lineouts too. Not many challenging for the Tahs best on field.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Folau wasn't playing was he?

Not really a stellar performance by the Tahs to kick off proceedings but it was pretty slippery and the force stuck it to us in the scrums and rucks so they deserve some credit and the bonus point, so overall it's a fitting result.

I'd give Skelton 3, Horne 2 and kellaway 1 for the Tahs. Coleman 3 and DHP -3 for the force!

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Holy crap that was a bad game of rugby.

Positives:
Robinson seems to be better than Foley off the tee.
Of all the players on the pitch Skelton was about the best. Who would have thought?

Negatives:
Lineouts were horrendous, particularly from the Force.
Scrums were a shamozzle.
There was barely a single backline play where a ball wasn't dropped all game.
Haylett-Petty, Folau and a variety of other Wallabies, badly off the pace.
Very poor decision making at times.

I would say the Kiwi teams are going to roll us but shit the Crusaders didn't look much better. I'll put it down to first round rustiness.

Hurricanes to walk the competition again!

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Worst thing about this game is the people death knelling Aussie Rugby based on one game in horrendous conditions. Some great talent in the game tonight, Hooker from the Tahs was great, as was Ryan Louwrens for the Force.

Agreed. I'm almost less worried since the people who weren't performing were the big names. We know they're quality, and they can come good. I think the fact some less ingrained players like Louwrens, Latu and Skelton were playing well is a good sign. If both teams can get some of their stars back/firing (e.g. DHP and Folau) I think there's the depth there to be ok.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I live about 500m from the ground and it rained heavily last night and then solidly all day. Whilst it only drizzled during the game, it was certainly wet weather football. Both teams needed to be better but expecting good backline play and few dropped balls is unrealistic.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Conditions that suited the Force, tahs weren't able to get their backs going at all. Tahs starting front row were good, but neither Ryan nor Lolohea give me much confidence in the scrum at this point.
As some have said, it talk Tahs 40 minutes to realise it was wet and start to play accordingly.
For the Tahs Latu, Skelton & Kellaway were good, Tom Robertson scrummaged very well.
For the Force Meakes really impressed me, Louwrens & Coleman were good.
Tahs need to improve a lot, Foley back will help, tough conditions but Hegarty wasn't able to bring his two attacking centres into the game at all.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I live about 500m from the ground and it rained heavily last night and then solidly all day. Whilst it only drizzled during the game, it was certainly wet weather football. Both teams needed to be better but expecting good backline play and few dropped balls is unrealistic.

How long have I heard that for? 25 years. How many free flowing games have I seen between NZ sides played in far worse conditions that this. Always with the excuses, its wet, its too hot, its sweaty............

N

NTT

Always gutted to lose to NSW.
Both sides showed great commitment up front in terrible conditions with the Waratahs just getting the upper hand thanks to the Force botching most of their attacking lineouts, something that plagued us last year. DHP was slightly rusty, happy with Hardwick and Koteka in the backrow, Louwrens was good, Meakes and Rona showed a little bit. Morahan needed to look for more work in field, Peni the same but overall we looked better fitness wise and looked a bit better in the backs. Coming from Perth summer to such a wet day robbed us of the chance to really see what our new backs and coaches had been working on.
Skelton looked at home after his english stint, plenty of heavy fields up there. Folau went missing, Latu was very good in the rucks, Simone was solid, Hegarty did enough without really grabbing the game and really dominating. Some of the field kicking by both teams was average but both teams should improve from the outing.

Status
Not open for further replies.