• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 1 2017 Waratahs v Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moondog

Stan Wickham (3)
Interestingly my brother is an eels tragic and has never said anything about his defense

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It was one of the reasons why he was let go from Broncos, Canberra and Parra and my dad is a raiders tragic and couldn't wait to see the back of him. But he has always been a very good goal kicker

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
I think that is Foley's basic average, he isn't a crap kicker, he is just not a high percentage kicker as others.

If Robertson can do his wingers job effectively this season, his high percentage kicking makes him an interesting wobs option

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Bench option at most though, surely. Who does he displace? Not DHP, though he could be shifted to fullback. Sefa is a far better winger in general.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Scrappy game and the Force are real spoilers. Tahs deserved to win but only just.

Skelton showed he can be very good. Not only would he get 2 points for his play but I'll chuck in another point for his haircut. Certainly looks a different man.

Folau was poor and for the Tahs to do well he meeds to substantially lift his game to that of 12 months ago.

Scrum needs a lot of work as well.

First game "blues" - they will be better next week

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
One thing i did like to see was Robinson's work off the ball

He chased great and there was one moment that typified a guy getting his head around his role.

There was a kick to touch, he chased hard and when the Force player picked up the ball he ran hard beyond the ball to mark their first receiver and negate any chance of a quick throw.

That kind of effort should be appreciated, especially if it can be replicated against some of the Kiwi sides, they need to be slowed

Hopefully it is a Gibson mantra and we will see many in the team doing more of this stuff

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah I'm growing to like Reece more and more.

Last year he got on my bad side by putting in stupid chip/grubber kicks at every opportunity. I think that might have been borne out of a lack of confidence to take the ball to ground in Union.

This year he's largely shelved that, and looks a better player every week. Love his attitude as you mention FP.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scrappy game and the Force are real spoilers. Tahs deserved to win but only just

First game "blues" - they will be better next week

By what metric are the Force spoilers? It isn't our fault the Tahs made poor passes and poor attacking decisions. It isn't our fault the weather in Sydney is shit. If we didn't cock up half a dozen line-outs, I reckon we'd have won that one- does that make us spoilers?
Perhaps we should be less physical in the tackle and stand off the rucks.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
By what metric are the Force spoilers? It isn't our fault the Tahs made poor passes and poor attacking decisions. It isn't our fault the weather in Sydney is shit. If we didn't cock up half a dozen line-outs, I reckon we'd have won that one- does that make us spoilers?
Perhaps we should be less physical in the tackle and stand off the rucks.

It's not a pejorative term, in my mind. They play a confrontational, and hard breakdown oriented game, with a focus on hard-nosed defence and competition for everything, particularly against the Tahs, with which they seem to repeatedly struggle. It negates, or spoils, what the Tahs were trying to do well. It's smart. The Tahs were their own worst enemies at times, but I can't help but think they were forced into many of the errors, no pun intended.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
No one talking about Tom Robbo being switched to 1 to get him in the side with Kepu. I thought he wasn't as effective in the sun at 1, whereas last session playing at 3 he put real pressure on a few opposition scrums. This reminds me of when the tahs did the same thing with Kepu a few years ago. Actually was that the wallabies? Scott Allen did a good piece on here about it. Anyway, no idea what the solution is but I think both he and Kepu are out best pros, but are both best at 3. Maybe he'll learn...

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I thought Robbo was pretty good on both sides. Our scrum was on parity until Kepu was binned, then we got our 7 man scrum hammered, but even then it seemed to be Lolohea's side that caved in.
When Robbo switched and Ryan came, it was Ryan's open side that had problems (although he did reverse that, a point he appeared to be making with Adam Coleman!)

Status
Not open for further replies.