• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 12: Reds v Rebels Fri 12th 7:35PM @ Suncorp

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Round 10 between the Crusaders & the Rebels saw a 39 - 0 result to the Crusaders.
A week later, Round 11, the Reds defeated the Crusaders 33-28, both games in Christchurch.
I'm thinking that the Rebels see this weekend's game as a must win, and the Reds might be a bit over confident.
I think it will be a close game with the Reds getting out of jail in the last quarter.
What do you think?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Rebels stronger on paper IMO, just not clicking well together weekly. Could have a really good power game with the forwards they have.

Reds like to slip up against Australian teams also.. can’t pick

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I would hope that the Reds have learnt from any overconfidence after losses to the Force and Pacifika. And a very poor 2nd half v the Rebels.

We shall see.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Can't predict anything without seeing who's available in the centers for the Rebels, was going ok till the double HIA in the first half last week.

Really wish Wilkin was fit, or we still had Hardwick.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Rebels stronger on paper IMO, just not clicking well together weekly. Could have a really good power game with the forwards they have.

Reds like to slip up against Australian teams also.. can’t pick
Reds are easily a level or two above. No wipe outs like the Rebels have had. Could've should've would've against Blues & Canes. Heart wants Rebels to dominate, head wants an easy Reds win so they're the real deal.

Reds are two slip ups away from beating all NZ teams.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
Really wish Wilkin was fit, or we still had Hardwick.
Would be good to send Ollie Callan (or a 7 from another aussie team who isn't getting game time) your way on a short term loan in a similar vein to how Pone has been loaned to the Tahs. He's unfortunately had very few opportunities at the Force this year since Tizzano has been going so well.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Would be good to send Ollie Callan (or a 7 from another aussie team who isn't getting game time) your way on a short term loan in a similar vein to how Pone has been loaned to the Tahs. He's unfortunately had very few opportunities at the Force this year since Tizzano has been going so well.
That's not really the same quality of trade, Pone needs game time and is proven at this level. Loaning an unproven player just because he can't break into a team is different.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
That's not really the same quality of trade, Pone needs game time and is proven at this level. Loaning an unproven player just because he can't break into a team is different.
What? Callan isn't unproven. According to All.Rugby stats Ollie Callan has played 1280 minutes of Super Rugby and Pone 1402.
They're both in similar positions - quality players who aren't getting game time because there are players in their squads that are just above them and are performing well.
Anyway, forgive me for throwing out an idea to potentially help your team who's clearly been missing a proper 7 all season.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
REDS (1-15): Sef Fa'agase, Matt Faessler, Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, Ryan Smith, Angus Blyth, Liam Wright (co-c), Fraser McReight, Harry Wilson, Kalani Thomas, Lawson Creighton, Mac Grealy, Hunter Paisami, Josh Flook, Tim Ryan, Jock Campbell

RESERVES: Josh Nasser, Peni Ravai, Zane Nonggorr, Connor Vest, John Bryant, Tate McDermott (co-c), James O'Connor, Suliasi Vunivalu

REBELS (1-15): Isaac Kailea, Jordan Uelese, Taniela Tupou, Angelo Smith, Josh Canham, Josh Kemeny, Vaiolini Ekuasi, Rob Leota (c), Ryan Louwrens, Carter Gordon, Darby Lancaster, Nick Jooste, Filipo Daugunu, Lachie Anderson, Andrew Kellaway

RESERVES: Alex Mafi, Cabous Eloff, Sam Talakai, Tuaina Taii Tualima, Maciu Nabolakasi, Jack Maunder, Jake Strachan, Glen Vaihu

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Good to see Cabous and Vaihu back. Finally Feliuai got the flick but I assume it's through concussion.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Tate to keep the shape at the end? Or continued to punishment for the suspension?
"We have also been really pleased with how Kalani (Thomas) and Louis (Werchon) have gone at halfback in recent weeks.

“We thought we’d keep ‘Lawso’ and Kalani together because of their combination together over those games.

“It’ll be nice to have the experience of Tate and James to come off the bench.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
REDS (1-15): Sef Fa'agase, Matt Faessler, Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, Ryan Smith, Angus Blyth, Liam Wright (co-c), Fraser McReight, Harry Wilson, Kalani Thomas, Lawson Creighton, Mac Grealy, Hunter Paisami, Josh Flook, Tim Ryan, Jock Campbell

RESERVES: Josh Nasser, Peni Ravai, Zane Nonggorr, Connor Vest, John Bryant, Tate McDermott (co-c), James O'Connor, Suliasi Vunivalu

REBELS (1-15): Isaac Kailea, Jordan Uelese, Taniela Tupou, Angelo Smith, Josh Canham, Josh Kemeny, Vaiolini Ekuasi, Rob Leota (c), Ryan Louwrens, Carter Gordon, Darby Lancaster, Nick Jooste, Filipo Daugunu, Lachie Anderson, Andrew Kellaway

RESERVES: Alex Mafi, Cabous Eloff, Sam Talakai, Tuaina Taii Tualima, Maciu Nabolakasi, Jack Maunder, Jake Strachan, Glen Vaihu
I would have liked to see Zane get a start and Toomaga-Allen go to the bench to share the minutes a bit more. I think Zane was great last week off the bench and should be rewarded.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I actually not too sure on this one. In my picks I have got Reds, and then stop and think Rebels have been pretty good, and on reflection I not convinced the Reds win against Crusaders is such a great benchmark. I genuinely thought the Reds desreved to win, but kind of thought a real good team would of put that Crusaders team away by a bit more? Keeps this game interesting anyway.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I actually not too sure on this one. In my picks I have got Reds, and then stop and think Rebels have been pretty good, and on reflection I not convinced the Reds win against Crusaders is such a great benchmark. I genuinely thought the Reds desreved to win, but kind of thought a real good team would of put that Crusaders team away by a bit more? Keeps this game interesting anyway.
I think you have a lot more faith in the Rebels than I do, particularly without LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and neither Proctor or Feliuai (I'm not a huge fan of his, but the structure he provides is potentially very important) available in the available in the centers.

I don't expect this one to be close without several individuals (particularly our ex Reds) putting in blinders.