• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 14 : Reds v Force 24 May (Suncorp)

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Tim Horan is so biased . Past his use by date.
The east coast elite crap is raising it's head again. We are all Australian. Hoiles is the worst out of all of them. He genuinely wants the force gone. Prob the rebels as well just so his team isn't so shit.

The force won't earn any respect until they finish top 6 and make finals by winning 7-8 games in a season but the challenges the team faces make it hard. Massive traveling schedules, hard to contract players long term. It's not easy.

I'm a massive reds, Brumbies, tahs and rebels fan. Love to see everyone win.

Reactions: TSR

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Tizzano surprisingly quiet

I was honestly blown away at how small he is in real life. Fraser had both height and weight over him.

Said to my brother that I can't remember a game like that especially one where I wasnt sitting bricks in the last 5 minutes. Bloody refreshing.

dillyboy

Arch Winning (36)
Ryan not only scored three tries but (I think) had another taken off for an infringement earlier in the movement and was on hand for probably another three or four if he had been needed. He certainly looks the goods.

However, I wouldn't personally like to see him in the Wallabies against Wales. Same with Corey Toole. I expect the Welsh will be peppering the back three with high bombs most of the game so I think it would be best to go with Nawaqanitawase on one wing and another bigger frame who's also good under the high ball (Pietsch, Sapsford style of player) on the other with Tom Wright at 15. Failing a suitable player for the other wing, then Kellaway but he was outjumped last night by Andy Muirhead. Not a resounding reference.

The test against Georgia might be an opportunity for the likes of Ryan and/or Toole to get some time at this level.

Ryan's looked solid under a few high balls - I wouldn't let Wales sending up and unders at us all night be the deciding factor in not selecting him....

I know we need the Wallabies to win but with Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) leaving (and him not looking dominant) I wouldn't have him in the side

Yoda

Tom Lawton (22)
I’m happy to stand by my assessment. They were everywhere while they were on the field and the Reds put 59 points on, played flat and fast attacking footy, won the kicking game and were better defensively. One of the best performances I’ve seen by an Aussie halves pairing for some time.

But hey - if you really feel the need to mark them down from ‘Superb’ to ‘Pretty Good’ that’s okay.

And yes - I’m most definitely a Reds man. And a very happy one.
Well done to the Reds! Forwards won the match.
”One of the best performances I’ve seen by an Aussie halves pairing for some time”….now that is spoken like a true Reds man! Hyperbole. They played well off an extremely dominant forward pack who won the collisions and had plenty of post contact metres. Any halves can look good behind that. But hey.. if you want to call them superb, your opinion. Hope the Reds go well in the finals and Ryan scores plenty of meat pies against the Kiwis. If you want to get excited about performances… he’s your man. A great young talent.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Well done to the Reds! Forwards won the match.
”One of the best performances I’ve seen by an Aussie halves pairing for some time”….now that is spoken like a true Reds man! Hyperbole. They played well off an extremely dominant forward pack who won the collisions and had plenty of post contact metres. Any halves can look good behind that. But hey.. if you want to call them superb, your opinion. Hope the Reds go well in the finals and Ryan scores plenty of meat pies against the Kiwis. If you want to get excited about performances… he’s your man. A great young talent.
I don’t think my comment implies that their performance was more than what it is. We beat the team coming 9th. Of course it means nothing next week, much less the week after. I guess I could try and apply some sort weighting scale - but, honestly, I don’t think that’s necessary to make a subjective judgement of their game

And of course it came off a dominant forward performance. That’s a given. When was the last dominant halves performance you saw where the forwards were shit? They laid a great platform and the interplay was good. But that doesn’t in any way make my comment incorrect. The halves still have do their job behind that. I can’t remember anyone ever downplaying Aaron Smith or Carter’s performances because they played behind McCaw, Rettalick, Read & co. Apart from one wayward kick their kick, pass, run decisions were spot on. I will qualify my rating a bit in saying I’m leaving Lynagh’s goal kicking out and just rating their general play.

What more would you have liked to see from them?

And if ‘the best performance by an Aussie halves pair’ is hyperbole - which performance do you think has been better. I don’t get to watch every Aussie game so I may have missed some. I think Lolesio and Lonergan have had some good games this year, but not sure any I have seen were better than that.

But genuinely keen to hear which have as I’d honestly probably go watch the replay.

dillyboy

Arch Winning (36)
Opportunity for Reds marketing from this game. Cult followings of characters such as Junkyard Dog appeals to many of the more basic supporters of contact sports.
Pretty sure he's now equal 2nd on trys for the season! (In only 6 or 7 games too)

Reactions: TSR

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Tim Ryan’s play as a 2nd playmaker hasn’t gone unnoticed, showing some distribution skills on top of the finishing, if it wasn’t obvious already this guy is a real talent.
Can he kick? I would think the first thing he needs to get to international level is being able to kick a ball, Australia needs a back 3 who can all kick the ball well

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm excited by Ryan too but can we all please stop swinging from his nuts. His defensive positional play needs plenty of work. Young kid. Give him time.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Tom is one tough and smart footballer. I'd like to see him not sacrifice himself so often. That will come with time.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I don’t think my comment implies that their performance was more than what it is. We beat the team coming 9th. Of course it means nothing next week, much less the week after. I guess I could try and apply some sort weighting scale - but, honestly, I don’t think that’s necessary to make a subjective judgement of their game

And of course it came off a dominant forward performance. That’s a given. When was the last dominant halves performance you saw where the forwards were shit? They laid a great platform and the interplay was good. But that doesn’t in any way make my comment incorrect. The halves still have do their job behind that. I can’t remember anyone ever downplaying Aaron Smith or Carter’s performances because they played behind McCaw, Rettalick, Read & co. Apart from one wayward kick their kick, pass, run decisions were spot on. I will qualify my rating a bit in saying I’m leaving Lynagh’s goal kicking out and just rating their general play.

What more would you have liked to see from them?

And if ‘the best performance by an Aussie halves pair’ is hyperbole - which performance do you think has been better. I don’t get to watch every Aussie game so I may have missed some. I think Lolesio and Lonergan have had some good games this year, but not sure any I have seen were better than that.

But genuinely keen to hear which have as I’d honestly probably go watch the replay.
In my team of the week I picked McDermott and Lolesio, he was great last night.

Lucky it's a forum and we all have arseholes (opinions)

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Force left side backline defence was frankly awful.

Good play by the Reds to exploit it but the Force backs weren't dealing with very simple moves all night.

Their defence on the fringes of the ruck won't make their coach very happy either

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm excited by Ryan too but can we all please stop swinging from his nuts. His defensive positional play needs plenty of work. Young kid. Give him time.

I’ll gladly swing from the dogs nuts.

Rugby in Australia doesn’t really have guys who just “get it”. Look at the NRL and cult wingers bring the fans into the game. Every time Mika Sivo touches the ball the crowd bellows “SIVOOOO”

Not sure what more the young kid needs to do in order to win some praise and get his name in the paper.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from last night

rapt

Stan Wickham (3)
I wish we had red jerseys
Personally I hated the bright red jerseys. I’m a traditionalist and the maroon/navy jerseys is the way to go, mainly because thats what I grew up with as a kid sitting in the tin stand at the end of Ballymore.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I was out for dinner when this game was on last night. I came home and looked at the score - yikes! Were the Reds at least good to watch?