• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 14 : Reds v Force 24 May (Suncorp)

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
This really annoys me, I think making the Wallabies is too easy, and has been this way for a long time.

There cannot be too many Super Rugby players who have played Super Rugby for more than 5 years who have not played at least one test as a starter or from the bench.

The majority of games seem to have 6-7 wallaby forwards against 6-7 wallaby forwards.

I am all for making a training squad, but think getting a start should be only for the elite.

This is not about any particular player, it is just a general rant
I see no problem with easing players into international rugby.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
I get @liquor box's point, but I tend to agree. I think we've seen national teams like Wales and Scotland do this to good effect with some of their tours over to places like Argentina etc bringing in/trailing a lot of new faces. Whilst national team coaches can get in and around the provincial clubs/franchises, I imagine it's sometimes not till they see them in the national setup that they get a good sense of where they really are at.

Personally I'd love to see the Wallabies A's continued with either a series in concert with the Wallabies or even their own tours. We need more high quality game time for those players out of the 23 in a setup which isn't just their club/franchise. I suspect there is not budget for it however.

griffins

Watty Friend (18)
This is not really the place to discuss others, but to answer TSR the Brumbies pack has been going backwards in each of the past two or three games but Noah L has continued to poll well in various TOTWs including our own at GAGR.
I think thats a bit disingenuous. Brums scrum has been getting smashed but they have generated plenty of front foot ball in the last couple of weeks (from lineout/turnover/kick return and dare I say it recovered box kicks) which Noah has played well off.

I also agree with the consensus that Lynagh was pretty tidy last night. He carried a lot but in most instances he was a genuine threat or had no other option.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think thats a bit disingenuous. Brums scrum has been getting smashed but they have generated plenty of front foot ball in the last couple of weeks (from lineout/turnover/kick return and dare I say it recovered box kicks) which Noah has played well off.

I also agree with the consensus that Lynagh was pretty tidy last night. He carried a lot but in most instances he was a genuine threat or had no other option.
Turnover and kick return I agree with griffins. The Brumbies have been playing off turnover ball and especially poor opposition kicks in general play in much the same way NZ sides, including the ABs, have for many years. More often than not in the recent to medium past, the NZ sides have just put our teams to the sword off turnover ball. Great to see the Brumbies giving it a real shot too. Mostly down to Tom Wright at full back.

Otherwise, the set piece, both scrum and lineout, has been below par for a lot of the season and was again against the Drua, Crusaders and Rebels, certainly after Tupou came into the game. Conventional wisdom wou;ld say that those games should have been losses, but each was a win with the halves playing a substantial part in the success behind a beaten pack.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Despite the words of a certain Brumbies fan who claimed “Grealy who must dream of being average one day”, Mac has been playing very well on his wing, he isn’t the biggest, fastest player or come with the same fanfare as others, but he runs good support play lines and looks for work..

He complements the back 3 of Campbell and Ryan nicely.
Yeah - I remember being surprised by the comment at the time. I don’t think he’s ever going to be a superstar but he does a lot of good things and seems to work in well with Les Kiss’ strategy. I think he’s been good all year.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Yeah - I remember being surprised by the comment at the time. I don’t think he’s ever going to be a superstar but he does a lot of good things and seems to work in well with Les Kiss’ strategy. I think he’s been good all year.
Alot to like, like a young Andy Muirhead,which is still a fantastic rugby player

Reactions: TSR

griffins

Watty Friend (18)
Turnover and kick return I agree with griffins. The Brumbies have been playing off turnover ball and especially poor opposition kicks in general play in much the same way NZ sides, including the ABs, have for many years. More often than not in the recent to medium past, the NZ sides have just put our teams to the sword off turnover ball. Great to see the Brumbies giving it a real shot too. Mostly down to Tom Wright at full back.

Otherwise, the set piece, both scrum and lineout, has been below par for a lot of the season and was again against the Drua, Crusaders and Rebels, certainly after Tupou came into the game. Conventional wisdom wou;ld say that those games should have been losses, but each was a win with the halves playing a substantial part in the success behind a beaten pack.
Rugbypass has Brumbies winning 100% of their lineout ball vs rebels. It was also basically perfect til McInerney went off vs Crusaders. And when theyre not functioning the Brums don't have the ball. Again I'm not saying Noah has played badly, but the games where the side has genuinely gone backwards (vs the Blues and Chiefs) have been the games he's struggled in.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would rather ease them in with an Australian A team, not the Wallabies.

A super rugby contract should not equate to becoming a Wallaby. Wallabies jerseys should be special and maybe I am too old fashioned but the only time a player should miss a game is if they have lost a leg, not because we want to blood someone.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’ll gladly swing from the dogs nuts.

Rugby in Australia doesn’t really have guys who just “get it”. Look at the NRL and cult wingers bring the fans into the game. Every time Mika Sivo touches the ball the crowd bellows “SIVOOOO”

Not sure what more the young kid needs to do in order to win some praise and get his name in the paper.
He’s another good young man from Brothers too.

It’s almost like they must have a decent culture over there :)

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
He’s another good young man from Brothers too.

It’s almost like they must have a decent culture over there :)

Yes I know, pains me to give him so much praise!

Was talking to my old man after the game (himself a Brothers old boy, I am the black sheep) who was quick to point out there are 6-7 Brothers players in the Reds best 15 this year. They have done a great job with the current era of players.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Those 6 seconds plus were tate taking about 15 seconds after Murphy said use it
Shiggins, I'm finding your continual whinging on this game becoming very boring, and not very constructive.
Go take a happy pill, and save your energy for next week when the Brumbies further dismantle the Force, which of course will all be the referees fault.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Shiggins, I'm finding your continual whinging on this game becoming very boring, and not very constructive.
Go take a happy pill, and save your energy for next week when the Brumbies further dismantle the Force, which of course will all be the referees fault.
Hahaha yes mum. That comment isn't even a whinge. It's a joke from a stat that's posted. Did I say it was the refs fault we lost this game ? I don't think I've said a ref has caused us to lose once this season.

The reds did get a lot of 50/50s go their way but as I said Murphy was rewarding the attacking team and the force did hardly any of it.

The only blunder was the no try call at the end of the first half which of course wouldn't of made a difference.

dillyboy

Arch Winning (36)
The only blunder was the no try call at the end of the first half which of course wouldn't of made a difference.

What, the no try here at 2m in?

Kuenzle knocks it on before McReight gets a hand on it. I don't see how the correct call by the ref can be called a blunder........

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
What, the no try here at 2m in?

Kuenzle knocks it on before McReight gets a hand on it. I don't see how the correct call by the ref can be called a blunder........
It was stewart. He places the ball back and mcwright rakes it back. The on field decision is raked back and try. It's not the easiest to see I grant that. As we have seen this year they need conclusive evidence to reject a try. Interested to see if everyone thinks it's a knock on and not raked back ? Again very hard to tell but you can see mcwright rakes it back.
You see Stewart place the ball. Maybe it does go forward but it's impossible to say from that angle.

Just watched the slow Mo replay on the actual match replay. Stewart places it back. There are that many hands and legs around the ball and it comes out and mcwright rakes it back. The ref only asked if poolman was inside also. Said he had it raked back

Last edited:

dillyboy

Arch Winning (36)
It was stewart. He places the ball back and mcwright rakes it back. The on field decision is raked back and try. It's not the easiest to see I grant that. As we have seen this year they need conclusive evidence to reject a try. Interested to see if everyone thinks it's a knock on and not raked back ? Again very hard to tell but you can see mcwright rakes it back.
You see Stewart place the ball. Maybe it does go forward but it's impossible to say from that angle.
Definitely Kuenzle who knocks it on & not Stewart.

Stewart runs it up then is tackled and plays the ball. Kuenzle picks it up then knocks it on with McReight then raking it back.

Knock on, no try.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Definitely Kuenzle who knocks it on & not Stewart.

Stewart runs it up then is tackled and plays the ball. Kuenzle picks it up then knocks it on with McReight then raking it back.

Knock on, no try.
I can see what your pointing out. Just watched it again. He didn't play at the ball, was cleaning out but his hand does look like it touches the ball and it goes forward