• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 16 - Reds vs Waratahs - Saturday 2 June - 7:45pm @ Suncorp

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Before he moved up to Super level, McIntyre was being hailed as the next big thing by many of the Reds supporters. The same is now being said about Stewart. I am sceptical about Stewart reaching Super level.

On the other hand, on tonight's performance I think Sorovi has the world at his feet. Just needs to make a few better decisions but that will come with experience. He is a real threat to the opposition when he runs with the ball. Best No 9 prospect going around I'd say.

Mate I never said such a thing about Jake, and it took little time with him starting at the Reds to see he was not up to it.

IMO you are blind to paint Stewart with the same brush as Jake. I'm not saying he is the saviour, I am saying I like what I see. And I didnt with Jake.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Bullshit..TK has earned his spot over years..or do we need another 40 point half to understand TK is important

Good plan. We should just keep picking the same guys we have been for years because they’ve “earned it over the years”.

I’m not saying TK has been the problem the last couple of years but we’ve gone from RWC finalists to almost second tier at times in the last 3 years and I think picking guys on past rather than current form has been a part of it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Mate I never said such a thing about Jake, and it took little time with him starting at the Reds to see he was not up to it.

IMO you are blind to paint Stewart with the same brush as Jake. I'm not saying he is the saviour, I am saying I like what I see. And I didnt with Jake.

You were definitely in the minority then Dru. I hope you're right about Stewart but I have to say that I don't like what I've seen to date.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
You were definitely in the minority then Dru. I hope you're right about Stewart but I have to say that I don't like what I've seen to date.

No he’s not. There were a couple of quite vocal Jake fans but for everyone of them there were probably a dozen that thought they were wrong.

How much have you seen of Hamish to date?

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)

Jake was (still is) pretty good, I think the biggest problem with him was he was needed to be a finished product before he was a finished product; the other big issue is we were trying to play a style that didn't gell with what he could offer.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Not really in the minority BR - I just dont watch the school to u20 close enough. So all I had was what i was at the reds.

I like that Stewart was a school 7. A lot. How this translates to a Super 10 has me bemused. Butif fans can call Foley a creative 10 (and plenty do) I think there is enough hope for Stewart to see how it goes.

I might add that i had no wraps on the bloke from school/u20 anymore than i did with Jake. I just see what I see at the Reds.

From flyhalf Slipper made one of the best LHPs the country has seen, imo. So why not a 10 from 7?

To me Stewart very definitely looks to be able to cope at Super level. Can he cope at 10? Time will tell, time that the Reds should give him.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Jake was (still is) pretty good, I think the biggest problem with him was he was needed to be a finished product before he was a finished product; the other big issue is we were trying to play a style that didn't gell with what he could offer.

HE had several seasons to get to halfway product and failed. I do understand that the coaching was a big part of that.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No he’s not. There were a couple of quite vocal Jake fans but for everyone of them there were probably a dozen that thought they were wrong.

How much have you seen of Hamish to date?

Last year's U20s and all of his games this year. I could be wrong, but I certainly thought Stewart had started one or two other games for the Reds lately, at 15? If I'm right, then Dru must be wrong with his comment that it was Stewarts first starting game.

I like his defensive abilities, but I am not impressed with his attacking game nor his ability to set up play for his outside men.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Last year's U20s and all of his games this year. I could be wrong, but I certainly thought Stewart had started one or two other games for the Reds lately, at 15? If I'm right, then Dru must be wrong with his comment that it was Stewarts first starting game.

I like his defensive abilities, but I am not impressed with his attacking game nor his ability to set up play for his outside men.

He started at 10 against the Lions and I’m certain he started another game at 15.

Fair play though, if you’ve seen that much of him and aren’t convinced that he has potential then I’m not going to argue with you. I disagree but. I don’t think he had a great game tonight but he wasn’t ‘well out of his depth’.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Good plan. We should just keep picking the same guys we have been for years because they’ve “earned it over the years”.

I’m not saying TK has been the problem the last couple of years but we’ve gone from RWC finalists to almost second tier at times in the last 3 years and I think picking guys on past rather than current form has been a part of it.
Really ..we went close to the bledislow and won the last game.. do you forget the first half in sydney..TK sured up that defence.. im all for picking a better player..maybe Rona. But they shifted 50 and 40 points tonight..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Really ..we went close to the bledislow and won the last game.. do you forget the first half in sydney..TK sured up that defence.. im all for picking a better player..maybe Rona. But they shifted 50 and 40 points tonight..
Yeah I may not have made it well but you’ve missed my point.

I am not singling TK out, I’m not even blaming him. Simply taking issue with you saying that despite his very lacklustre form this season, he’s “earned his spot over the years”.

Yes we’ve had two good games against the Kiwis, but we’ve had some spectacularly shit ones against lesser opposition. Basically my view is that what we’ve been doing isn’t working well enough and I think too often we pick players on past form rather than current form when we should be doing the opposite.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Great game! Disappointed with the result. A lot of players really put their hands up for selection through June.

I have to have a whinge but. That commentary wasn’t just bad, it made a really good game of rugby, hard to enjoy. People keep talking about what’s wrong with Rugby in Australia and there’s plenty of thing but fuck me, having commentators like that simply crapping all over a good Aussie derby is definitely one of the big ones.

It’s like watching a game in a pub and having a couple of drunk has beens sitting nearby just running their ignorant mouths all game. How Foxtel can think that a team like that adds to the product is beyond me. [/RANT]
Tony Lewis and the other Shute Shield commentators are the only Australian Rugby commentators worth listening to. The rest either are too parochial, take themselves too seriously, or just say dumb shit.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Ah, heck. I'll withdraw the comment and say his first start at 10.

PS and if I forgot his start against the Lions, spank me.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah I may not have made it well but you’ve missed my point.

I am not singling TK out, I’m not even blaming him. Simply taking issue with you saying that despite his very lacklustre form this season, he’s “earned his spot over the years”.

Yes we’ve had two good games against the Kiwis, but we’ve had some spectacularly shit ones against lesser opposition. Basically my view is that what we’ve been doing isn’t working well enough and I think too often we pick players on past form rather than current form when we should be doing the opposite.

I get it.. but he has earned it.. his always better in tests..Kervis always been worse. Id say Ronas a chance at 13 but Kervis best games been at 12..and if CFS wasnt injuried hed be at 13..

Yes we had some shit performace but they have been much worse when others were at 13..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Facinating game to watch. Reds pack are brutal and strong. They took ground at ease. Tahs pack hold their own, play above their weight do do their damage around the fringes.

Reds D is really not up to scratch. Shame because it was pretty good at the beginning of the year.

Tahs are a very well coached side. Gibson has copped plenty on this forum but it is clear he has a plan and a well drilled side to execute it.

Fun game to watch that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.