• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 16 - Reds vs Waratahs - Saturday 2 June - 7:45pm @ Suncorp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With the loss to the Chiefs the Tahs' lead in the Aussie conference has evaporated.

A win against the Reds is crucial to get them back on track before the June break and put them in a strong position to win the Aussie conference.

The Reds will be hurting after a narrow loss to the Highlanders and will be seeking revenge against their oldest rivals.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
With the loss to the Chiefs the Tahs' lead in the Aussie conference has evaporated.

A win against the Reds is crucial to get them back on track before the June break and put them in a strong position to win the Aussie conference.

The Reds will be hurting after a narrow loss to the Highlanders and will be seeking revenge against their oldest rivals.

If this game does not attract a big crowd we might as well give up.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
From where and how they began the season, the 2018 Tahs have the 2nd best rate of improvement in the comp, behind the Jaguares. IMO, they are side that could _potentially_ win the comp if they get a home game in the finals round.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
If this game does not attract a big crowd we might as well give up.

Rightly or wrongly there are vast tracts of good tickets still there for this match and prima facie it looks like the QRU is only offering for sale around 30 or so % of the stadium (to keep staffing and operating costs down no doubt).

The Kiwi component will be much lower and as there are many of them living in SEQ, it will be interesting to see the real crowd numbers for this match.

Edit for interest: July 12, 2014 (after the glow of the Reds Link era had well and truly faded), crowd Reds v Tahs at Suncorp: 36,205 (source: Wikipedia official Super 15 2014 season page).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Spoilers: it's not going to be a good crowd. And it's going to be reported as higher than what people think it should be

One thing Twiggy has taught us is marketing helps pull crowds. This should be the biggest crowd of the season but it may not be.

I didn’t even know this was the game this weekend so I can understand if regular joe or Jane doesn’t. Hopefully it builds during the week.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
One thing Twiggy has taught us is marketing helps pull crowds. This should be the biggest crowd of the season but it may not be.

I didn’t even know this was the game this weekend so I can understand if regular joe or Jane doesn’t. Hopefully it builds during the week.

Does not help when it's only Round 15 not 16 like the thread says. Ignore that my print out started as Round 1 instead of 2.

I am hoping the Reds can upset the Tahs this weekend, only reason is to benefit the Rebels.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does not help when it's only Round 15 not 16 like the thread says.

I am hoping the Reds can upset the Tahs this weekend, only reason is to benefit the Rebels.

I should have used week as opposed to round as that is what the comp goes by, but it's definitely 16!

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

A bit of us against the world injustice doesn't hurt either!

Am I right in saying NSW has won the last 8 games against the Reds?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

A lesson the rest of the world learnt in the 1930s eh?

Tahs really ought to win. Just generally a bit better with the exception of a few positions. Scrum time should be interesting.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
A lesson the rest of the world learnt in the 1930s eh?

Tahs really ought to win. Just generally a bit better with the exception of a few positions. Scrum time should be interesting.

The Tahs scrum has been improving, but overall they're not at the level of the Reds, and they have a nasty habit of losing focus and getting completely stuffed every now and then in a game. I think it will be an area the Reds will target hard to gain and assert dominance. I think the Reds will definitely fancy their chances of taking this one. They've played some good footy in past weeks.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Given that Wednesday week is the first SOO game there could be some creative promotion of this game. Put another way, unless there is a lot of creativity, it will be totally overshadowed.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Say what you want about 'Dell Sailor and Tom Carter, but it was great when there was actual villains fans could 'root' against. There aren't any characters in our modern day that unites the fans into hating. The closest we have in this game from a Reds perspective is Beale after the way he carried on in getting Queensland Hall of Famer, Ewen McKenzie fired.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Who the fuck are these 'waratahs'? Named after a flower? Pathetic. Thor eats flowers as a light snack. Reds to destroy tahs. The maroon jumper the reds wear will cause the blood of many great Queenslanders before them to enter their veins and they will have nothing but total hatred of those blue-shirted b*****s. They will only have one mission - crush all those in sky blue. Major punch up around the 50-60 minute mark. Reds to win by 30 points. 2 penalty tries from the scrum. 3 NSW p;ayers marched to the bin. Whinging all they way across NSW about how "we wuz robbed". The overpaid primadonnas (tahs) will feel the wrath of the hard Queensland men who will belt them from pillar to post.

TL;DR Tahs are F.U.C.K.E.D.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Say what you want about 'Dell Sailor and Tom Carter, but it was great when there was actual villains fans could 'root' against. There aren't any characters in our modern day that unites the fans into hating. The closest we have in this game from a Reds perspective is Beale after the way he carried on in getting Queensland Hall of Famer, Ewen McKenzie fired.
Speak for yourself.

I hate them all. Especially that Rob Simmons. NSW Scum.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)

The players we can say are outright better than their counter parts from last week:
  1. JP Smith
  2. BPA
  3. Too Close
  4. Rodda
  5. Simmons
  6. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) likely too close (consider will likely be Timu/Higgers)
  7. Hooper (but genuinely close)
  8. Higgers (or Timu)
  9. Phipps
  10. Foley
  11. Naiyaravoro
  12. Beale
  13. Kerevi
  14. Perese
  15. Folau
So the Reds perhaps have 7 spots the Waratahs have 7 with Kepu and Tupou basically being for the starting Wallabies spot. I do think the Reds likely just win the bench battle.
While I agree the overall quality of the Waratahs is likely a little bit better but the thing with the Reds is they are very inconsistent while that can often lead to a 60 point loss to a shit team it can also lead to a 10 point win against a very good team.

I expect the Reds to lose, but not because they are worse, because they are still figuring out how to win. But Reds by 10.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I expect the Reds to lose, but not because they are worse, because they are still figuring out how to win. But Reds by 10.
Leaving aside your complex analysis of each player:

Waratahs Pts 31
Reds Pts 19

That's all i meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.