• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 2: Chiefs v Brumbies - 3 March 2024

Yoda

Ted Thorn (20)
I think the ponies have enough credits in the bank to write this one off as an off day. Tipping a return to form against the Force next weekend.
Chiefs are a class act and player skill level much higher. McKenzie played all over Lolesio. What about the try off the back of the line out to McKenzie and then an inside ball. Too good. If the Brumbies don’t beat the depleted Force at home, then it‘s time to worry.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Really? I thought he was great on D. His cover defence saved a couple of tries and and swept up well when called for. He's also surprisingly strong in contact.

He seems to have a roaming role though, so perhaps found himself out of position a few times.
Its just the old trotted out line about Toole's defensive his always been pretty good, and stronger then he looks but his tackling massive players when his not.

Much better defensive effort than most Aussie wingers this weekend.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I'm watching the replay. It's a concern how easy Chiefs players surpassed some Wallabies

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
The post halftime cross to Bernie said it all for me. He was asked what he said to Ryan and Noah at halftime and he basically said that they would just need to take the learnings and where we end up is where we end up. To me it could not have been more of a concession. Totally unacceptable from a coach and really pathetic.

I think the team performance reflected the pathetic attitude of the coach, Both were clueless and essentially had conceded.

@Pfitzy - your comments are spot on. There are some real fundamental issue in the team again. Aside from the standard forward picks, they seem unwilling to go straight at the line and the idea of trying to break through it just doesn't seem to feature in their thinking. Lots of lateral play.

IMHO these issues were present in Bernies last stint at the Brumbies, and a rookie coach, McKellar, was able to improve the Brumbie post Bernie. But we seem to be slipping back to the old Bernie ways. What's stands out the most in not only the infrequent involvement of the backline, but when its used it dysfunctional. very few occasions on the game. They are also slow and to process driven. The Brumbies script is easily worked out so they are predictable which certainly made it easier for the Chiefs.

I can't help but question if this is one of the key issues with Rugby here in Australia at the moment. Bernie is constantly talked up as a coach but has achieved little. It's starting to head down the Jones path where its the reputation rather than the results that getting them the jobs.