• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 2: Reds v Canes. Sunday.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah I can’t blame the ref. We made heaps of mistakes. Ravai and Campbell both should have scored. Given we came so close I thought we were pretty poor. Heaps of turnovers. But tremendous guts and some smart play.
The cohesion between players like Tate, Wilson, McReight... even Flook make for some really enjoyable to watch Rugby.

The set piece put them under a lot of unnecessary pressure at times. The lineout mulfunctioning up front and the scrum dominance from the Canes meant that the Reds had to keep showing up again and again in defence with them obviously leaking a few tries here and there. Some of the kicking from players like Vunivalu likewise pilled it on, not to mention some of the ball handling/security with a number of unforced dropped balls. I also agree with others that something was off with the defensive structures in places. Petaia's poor one on one tackling also stood out to me and is something he really needs to shore up.

But they were in the fight, tackled well (Flook I thought was outstanding) and gave themselves every opportunity to win that one. I'd like them as @Wilson mentioned to throw something like a drop goal into the mix to help covert some of that territory into points.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well done 'Canes - that was a tough game.

Disappointed not to win but bloody proud of the effort there. As winnable as it may have been I reckon we're well ahead of where I thought we were going to be under an entirely new coaching side.

Lots of motivation to take away from that one.

Absolutely. Hugely proud of the effort the boys put in and man, there is so much to improve. There is plenty of upside. This is a team that is going places.

Thanks reds!

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Excellent game of rugby.

Reds should have put that away with a man advantage for 20 minutes but early in the season they'll continue to learn.

Flook was outstanding for the Reds I thought

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I have had very strong shiggins feels this weekend. How on earth didn’t the bloke see Jordie take the other Jordies head off in real time?

Reds will be kicking themselves. Had every chance to win but lacked composure in the final 22 at the end. Still, I thought they played very well and it was a great game.
The ref awarded 2 trys where the ball wasn't even grounded. How can he even do that? Lucky the TMO sorted it out. Canes hooker should have been binned for a shoulder to Wilson's head. Canes had about 10 knock ons that were called backwards

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Can we not go down this path. I know it’s your thing - but that was a cracking game of rugby and the ref is central to that. Of course he made mistakes. But both teams had their chances.
Was a great game. Still robbed. Plenty of puzzling decisions that went against the reds. He isn't up to super rugby standard unfortunetly. I guess it's rare we see games where a ref doesn't get it wrong. Both in super rugby and six nations. I couldn't do a better job though. It's a tough job

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
How cany anyone even suggest refs were against Reds, as I pointed out all 3 were from Qld for christsake.
I don't think anyone would say the refs were against the reds on purpose. The reds just got more unlucky with the calls

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Doesn’t happen often but that’s a character building loss. They’d be sitting in the sheds knowing they can/should have won that.

Compare that to the Brumbies who have a bit of an oh shit moment.

Tough now but you don’t carry scars from that.

Need some rest this week after it though.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Hard to be too critical after 86 mins, but I think Liam Wright would expect better of himself with the final tackle.

A player with Wallaby aspirations has to put a better shot on the ball carrier on the line to save the match there.

How good was McReight though, especially the chase back 100m for the final tackle turnover at 80 mins. What a motor

Reactions: Ras

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Doesn’t happen often but that’s a character building loss. They’d be sitting in the sheds knowing they can/should have won that.

Compare that to the Brumbies who have a bit of an oh shit moment.

Tough now but you don’t carry scars from that.

Need some rest this week after it though.
Happy we are playing at home next week.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Feel for Flook, I reckon he will cop a bit of heat for his defence this week but it’s probably not all valid. He’s the main defender on the line for two of the Cane’s tries (including the match winner).

I don’t know many centres who are stopping a prop that close to the line in the 85th minute of a game. I’m sure he will be disappointed in himself but I still think he had a good game overall.