• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 3 - Rebels v Highlanders - Fri 1st of March@7:45pm - AAMI Park

Who's excited for a home game? I missed AAMI park

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Woo Hoo

Season finally starts now.

First home game of the year against a possible inform Highlanders team, hard to tell after two weeks who is inform on not. The highlanders only just managed to scrape past the Chiefs who were than destroyed by the Brumbies. So lets go with that form and have the Rebels by plenty.

Mouth watering match up: Genia v Smith, two of the best scrum halfs in the world going toe to toe.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
A key question will be which Wallabies and which All Blacks will be rested as part of the player management.

We may not see some of those highly anticipated match ups

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
A key question will be which Wallabies and which All Blacks will be rested as part of the player management.

We may not see some of those highly anticipated match ups

Good point,

Seeing no one actually knows what the rest policy involves. The Irish policy is pretty straight forward, it's based on minutes played throughout the season. I think it's around 1600 minutes during the season across all tournaments, so that's Pro14, European Cup and 6 Nations. 20 matches in total, but a lot of the time a player will be subbed between 50-60 minutes meaning for every 4 games they can be subbed another game they can play.

On that I would keep the same backline, have Hodge on the bench this week to cover from 11-15 and only have 2 backs on the bench.

Hoping the Reds game has taken it's toll on the Highlanders.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Ken oath I'm excited for this. Expecting a healthy crowd as well. There's definitely some word around town about the Rebels and a good feeling of positivity. Hopefully we get some good home wins in before NRL and AFL pick up.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
My team for Friday night would be:
  1. Tetera Faulkner
  2. Anaru Rangi
  3. Sam Talakai
  4. Matt Philip
  5. Adam Coleman
  6. Luke Jones
  7. Richard Hardwick
  8. Isi Naisarani
  9. Will Genia
  10. Quade Cooper
  11. Marika Koroibete
  12. Billy Meakes
  13. Tom English
  14. Jack Maddocks
  15. Dane Haylett-Petty ©
  16. Robbie Abel
  17. Matt Gibbon
  18. Jermaine Ainsley
  19. Angus Cottrell
  20. Brad Wilkin
  21. Rob Leota/Semisi Tupou
  22. Michael Ruru
  23. Reece Hodge

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
My team for Friday night would be:
  1. Tetera Faulkner
  2. Anaru Rangi
  3. Sam Talakai
  4. Matt Philip
  5. Adam Coleman
  6. Luke Jones
  7. Richard Hardwick
  8. Isi Naisarani
  9. Will Genia
  10. Quade Cooper
  11. Marika Koroibete
  12. Billy Meakes
  13. Tom English
  14. Jack Maddocks
  15. Dane Haylett-Petty ©
  16. Robbie Abel
  17. Matt Gibbon
  18. Jermaine Ainsley
  19. Angus Cottrell
  20. Brad Wilkin
  21. Rob Leota/Semisi Tupou
  22. Michael Ruru
  23. Reece Hodge
Is Sa'aga injured? Otherwise, agree with your team 100%.

Although I could be tempted to give Pone a run at 18, just to see how he would go.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
It's been all but confirmed by the Clan coaching staff that Bender won't play.
And Canterbury are leaving a few All Blacks at home as well, aren’t they? I wonder if this was a round targeted by NZ sides as easier games before the comp kicked off and teams like the Reds and Rebels showed they were here to play.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
^^^Well Chiefs fans would be hoping that's what happened last weekend.

It actually seems all NZ sides have had a slow start.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Re: the NZ franchises resting players, all of them signed up to an NZR protocol that no AB would play more than 180 minutes in Rounds 1-3 & they'd all get rested for two weeks during the season. Plus KRead, SamW & Codie Taylor had their post-EOYT rest period extended. There's some guys getting very close to the 180-minute mark already hence likely to at least not start this week or not be selected at all.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Resting indeed. According to Cully, some big names not making the trip to Melbourne.

Looks like Rob Thomson is out too, probably from the massive hit his got from Sefa last weekend.

Good looking Highlanders team.

Highlanders side to face Rebels: 15. Josh Ioane, 14. Waisake Naholo, 13. Thomas Umaga-Jensen, 12. Tei Walden, 11. Josh McKay, 10. Bryn Gatland, 9. Kayne Hammington, 8. Elliot Dixon, 7. James Lentjes, 6. Shannon Frizell, 5. Pari Pari Parkinson, 4. Jackson Hemopo, 3. Siate Tokolahi, 2. Ash Dixon, 1. Daniel Lienert-Brown. Replacements: Ricky Jackson, Ayden Johnstone, Josh Iosefa-Scott, Tom Franklin, Marino Mikaele Tu'u, Folau Fakatava, Patelesio Tomkinson, Marty Banks

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Highlanders named.

Rebels should be eyeing up a W here with Higlanders missing Smiths, Whitelock, Matchbox 20, Squire, Hunt and Coltman.

Daniel Lienert-Brown, Ash Dixon (C) Siate Tokolahi, Jackson Hemopo, Pari Pari Parkinson, Shannon Frizell, James Lentjes, Elliot Dixon, Kayne Hammington, Bryn Gatland*, Josh McKay, Teihorangi Walden, Thomas Umaga-Jensen, Waisake Naholo, Josh Ioane

Reserves

Ricky Jackson, Ayden Johnstone, Josh Iosefa-Scott, Tom Franklin, Marino Mikaele Tu’u, Folau Fakatava, Patelesio Tomkinson, Marty Banks

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Highlanders named.

Rebels should be eyeing up a W here with Higlanders missing Smiths, Whitelock, Matchbox 20, Squire, Hunt and Coltman.

Daniel Lienert-Brown, Ash Dixon (C) Siate Tokolahi, Jackson Hemopo, Pari Pari Parkinson, Shannon Frizell, James Lentjes, Elliot Dixon, Kayne Hammington, Bryn Gatland*, Josh McKay, Teihorangi Walden, Thomas Umaga-Jensen, Waisake Naholo, Josh Ioane

Reserves

Ricky Jackson, Ayden Johnstone, Josh Iosefa-Scott, Tom Franklin, Marino Mikaele Tu’u, Folau Fakatava, Patelesio Tomkinson, Marty Banks

I think Coltman was more of a tactical switch. He was dire at lineout time last weekend.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
I think Coltman was more of a tactical switch. He was dire at lineout time last weekend.

That would explain him not starting but that doesnt explain him not being on the bench. Theyve gone with, by all accounts, a fairly average youngster Jackson.

Speaking of youngsters one to keep an eye on is Fakatava - only 19 but has serious talent.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Shannon Frizzel is the youngester that give me nightmares. 'Gus will have his work cut out for him.

Same for Koroibete in Naholo

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Marty Banks - remains the flyhalf Australian Rugby should have naturalised 2 years ago when he was uncontracted, ahead of Hawera & Garden-Bachop. Would go close to a Wallaby squad and is a winner.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Rebels side

Tetera Faulkner
Anaru Rangi
Sam Talakai
Luke Jones
Matt Philip
Angus Cottrell
Brad Wilkin
Isi Naisarani
Will Genia
Quade Cooper
Marika Koroibete
Billy Meakes
Tom English
Jack Maddocks
Dane Haylett-Petty ©
Robbie Abel
Matt Gibbon
Jermaine Ainsley
Adam Coleman
Richard Hardwick
Rob Leota
Michael Ruru
Reece Hodge

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Interesting that Dickie is riding the pine

Im happy with him off the bench, hes potentially such a good player but a bit unlucky with injuries atm, so happy to build him up as the season goes.

Wilkin i thought played fairly well in limited time against the Brums.

If its 36 degrees its probably right to go with the 6/2 split.