• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 4: Waratahs v Brumbies- Saturday 18 March 7:45pm AEDT, Allianz Stadium, Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
54 handling errors according to vodacom Rugby app - 209 passes made.

Begs the question, why are those games still entertaining with so much dropped ball?

Ahem, Um, ah, Wink Nudge, gee ah, you um, sorta wanna maybe take a gander at the Tuesday Top 5. The clueless hack who writes it had a wild swing at some halfwit theory bout it; absolute rubbish but still..... ;)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Wet night in Sydney, I expect the ponies to play kick, clap and maul; and walky walky scrums all night

The Tahs? meh, I don't know, Hegarty has only put players into space by chip kicks and the forwards lack the go forward and aggression needed to provide quick ball. So the "mantra" of not playing in your own half will happen from both sides.

I think it will be a horrible, horrible match

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Fatprop's strategy for the Brums is spot on

Back to Jakeball.

Folau will have plenty of return ball but I expect the Brums to "target" him relentlessly. Keep that bloke in check, smash the Tahs at scrumtime and the game is won

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
I wonder if the brumbies have been using the several reports implying that their future is in doubt for extra motivation.

Certainly a convincing win against the "protected" tahs would be a delicious reward for the ponies.

N

NTT

Lets go Brumbies!

Brumbies will want it more. Tahs won't be any good until the have a backline of:
9 Gordon
10 Foley
11 Robinson
12 Horwitz
13 Simone
14 Kellaway
15 Folau

Horwitz needs to play a similar role as Meakes or Godwin, hard at the breakdown and tackle, just enough ability to ball play. Simone and Folau are too similar in playing style and have shown zero signs of gelling. Kellaway and Robinson gives them pace and finishing. Folau gives them x factor.

Brumbies by 12 pts.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
They dropped the ball a fuckload in that game, though.

True, but they didn't stand around patting eachother on the back waiting for a scum and the water bottle; they get on with it and moved the ball again

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
C7ANBF7VAAETDQd.jpg:large

Alcock out with a concussion. Fardy comes back in for Hyne. Dargaville out, Ah Wong in, Jackson-Hope to the bench.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Foley is expected to be named for the Tahs as the only change to the backline. Training is on at the moment I think and then team will be named this afternoon.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
The NSW Waratahs Team for Round 4

NO.

POSITION

NAME

LOOSEHEAD PROP

Tom Robertson

HOOKER

Tolu Latu

TIGHTHEAD PROP

Sekope Kepu

LEFT LOCK

Dean Mumm

RIGHT LOCK

Will Skelton

LEFT FLANKER

Jack Dempsey

RIGHT FLANKER

Michael Hooper (C)

NUMBER EIGHT

Jed Holloway

SCRUMHALF

Nick Phipps

FLYHALF

Bernard Foley (Bryce Hegarty)

LEFT WING

Rob Horne

INSIDE CENTRE

Irae Simone

OUTSIDE CENTRE

Israel Folau

RIGHT WING

Reece Robinson

FULLBACK

Andrew Kellaway

REPLACEMENTS:

RESERVE

Hugh Roach

RESERVE

Paddy Ryan

RESERVE

David Lolohea

RESERVE

David McDuling

RESERVE

Ned Hanigan

RESERVE

Michael Wells

RESERVE

Jake Gordon

RESERVE

Bryce Hegarty (David Horwitz

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Providing Foley plays that is pretty much a full strength side for the first time this season.

Hopefully the hamstrings of Holloway, Hanigan and Skelton hold together!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This match is Michael Hooper's 100th Super Rugby match. He becomes the youngest person ever to achieve that feat.

Sekope Kepu also plays his 100th game for the Waratahs.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Tough game to call.

Brumbies have the better tight five. Backrows are different in size and style - Tahs smaller and quick around the field, Brumbies with more impact in close. Tahs halves have massive experience advantage and Foley should improve their game execution - Brumbies halves inexperienced but playing well so far. Centres and outside backs match up pretty equally.

Result could well depend on playing conditions. Expect it to be close game regardless.

Reactions: mst

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gee that backrow battle is intriguing. As BR suggests, just completely different.

The Brumbies aren't concerned about the impact of Hooper at the ruck, as there's no attempt to match him.

Lolo at 7 is a massive statemement.

Quite the lineout too. I wonder if we will see any driving mauls this weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.