• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5: Brumbies v Highlanders, Sat 25 March, 7:45pm AEDT - GIO Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Ya reckon they got that right?
The line is out so the inner edge is what needs to be "cut" by the ball - the ball does not need to have any part on the outside of the line. I think it cut the line and leckie wanted to show just how good he is, as is his wont.
Presumably Gardner in his quest to prove anti-bias called Speighht offside. Arguable turning point of the game and wrong.....completely

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think oz teams would go a lot better if we were given penalties of the type the landers got at about 62 mins for late tackle on A Smith.
Freakin' joke

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
FFS this is the best "scintillating attack" that the Australian backs coach can come up with? Pass it to static forwards all night when in the opposition 22 and driving maul and more mauls. Want to look at why Australian Rugby no longer rates watch the Brumbies kick and maul games, the Rebels go home at half time and the Tahs drop the ball and pass the ball behind players.

I got bored halfway through this and started doing my BAS. Something has to be real bad to make BAS look interesting.
Ffs he's playing to his provincial strength possibly for the life of the franchise

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'm not sorry. That is the biggest load of twat I have ever heard in my life. If your forwards are able to dominate you can play any game, I repeat - any game, you want.

Your avatars have never seen it that way.
Is a "big load of twat" a reference to an Old Maggie Taberer joke?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ it's one of the changes WR (World Rugby) made to Law 19. Ref & AR got it right, player obviously momentarily forgot.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/wanganui-chronicle/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503424&objectid=11825043

WOB, I thought the intention of the WR (World Rugby) changes was to get rid of that ridiculous aspect of bringing the 'plane of touch' into consideration. If that decision was right (and I'm not yet sure that it was) then it has just reintroduced that farcical notion of plane of touch again.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Your avatars have never seen it that way.
Is a "big load of twat" a reference to an Old Maggie Taberer joke?
They have been foolish.

There's a time to run, there's a time to kick, there's a time to scrum, there's a time to maul, there's a time to defend, there's a time to pick & go, there's a time to function in the lineouts.

That's rugby. Not only running or only defending or only attacking or only mauling.

Some games turn to scraps where some aspects are more prevalent than others but you've still got to be able to do it all.

EDIT: In this instance the Highlanders defended better. No argument there.

Learned One

Allen Oxlade (6)
With regard to the last 3 posts from IS, I agree The refs got it so wrong with the offside call on Speight. Not only did it cost the Brumbies 3 points from the Highlanders penalty goal, it stopped a counter attack so brilliantly created by Speight . If it was the AS who made the call then he has altered the outcome of the game and should be dropped .
The other penalty was a joke BUT the Brumbies player who pushed Smith needs to take an IQ test not a concussion test. Absolutely no need to have touched Smith and in doing so, gave the ref an opportunity to become involved .

Given the state of the game , every team would kick into the corner and try the rolling maul , however the Brumbies do overplay this part of their game , becoming extremely predictable if not boring to watch .

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There was another minor one: kick through with Speight chasing and Ben Smith grabbed his arm: didn't we lose a Bledisloe on the back of a similar offence less than 12 months ago?
One things for sure all of this just proves that you make your own luck and the uncertainty and so forth gives rise to minor things getting out of proportion.
I must say, however (and for all the criticism of their style) I am enjoying my new found love of the Brumbies much more than I ever enjoyed my forced (by geography) support of the Tahs.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
WOB, I thought the intention of the WR (World Rugby) changes was to get rid of that ridiculous aspect of bringing the 'plane of touch' into consideration. If that decision was right (and I'm not yet sure that it was) then it has just reintroduced that farcical notion of plane of touch again.

Actually it looks as though the changes have brought it MORE into consideration.

"In this case, if the ball has reached the plane of touch when it is caught, then the catcher is not deemed to have taken the ball into touch. If the ball has not reached the plane of touch when it is caught or picked up, then the catcher is deemed to have taken the ball into touch, regardless of whether the ball was in motion or stationary."

From http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=19&language=EN

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
I think oz teams would go a lot better if we were given penalties of the type the landers got at about 62 mins for late tackle on A Smith.
Freakin' joke

For me this is tactic OZ teams never use but should. For years we've said NZ team push the boundaries of laws all the while we stand there and let them do it. We're far to passive. Do it back! is what i say. We trust that ref is going to see everything and do the right thing. Never works that way. How many times do the all blacks kill the ball when the opposition 22? yeah you may get a yellow but so what? you might stop them. It's what winners do.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Actually it looks as though the changes have brought it MORE into consideration.

"In this case, if the ball has reached the plane of touch when it is caught, then the catcher is not deemed to have taken the ball into touch. If the ball has not reached the plane of touch when it is caught or picked up, then the catcher is deemed to have taken the ball into touch, regardless of whether the ball was in motion or stationary."

From http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=19&language=EN

That particular ruling was made by the Touchie who was probably 20 - 30m away, running at full speed towards the likely point of finding touch. It then becomes a matter of judgement from the TJ if they don't review it by the video official. Without the judgemental 'plane of touch' coming into it, there would be no issue as it is clear where the receiver was standing.

I accept that it probably reflects the desire to clear up the touch in goal issues where players standing outside the in goal area could handle the ball if it was still moving. It's good to see that sore point being addressed, but there seem to be unforeseen consequences in play in general. Needs to be fixed.

Also, I have a tip for our master tactician, whomever he may be. When a penalty kick is being taken near the touchline on the right hand side of the field, use a left footed kicker and vice versa. Similarly, a clearing kick from the in goal area, or close to it, should be taken by a right footed kicker on the left side of the field and vice versa. Potentially good territory gains were missed last night by Hawera failing to find touch when taking the penalty about 5 - 10m inside the RHS touchline, and Toua put in a dreadful touchfinder from the in goal area when clearing from the LHS of the field. Small matter that can have a big bearing on the flow of play for several phases.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wow, forum members Shiggins & sean.higgins.9256 both own SM-G928I's & appear to hold remarkably similar views viz NZ rugby teams. Uncanny, it's almost like they're the same person...........

EDIT: clearly the SM-G928I doesn't have a spellchecker:)

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
All I can say is that thankfully the Brumbies played real dumb for the last 10 minutes or so. The Highlanders are known for their aggressive defence so why keep atacking the forwards. I was waiting for them to pop the ball to Speight, steaming in at full pace from 5-10m out. They would have almost certainly broken the line IMO. At least a much better chance than keeping it in the forwards. Especially after Buckman and Osborne had just taken nasty hits and may not have been defending at 100%. I will not be surprised if Buckman gets a concussion stand down this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.