• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5 - Brumbies v Reds GIO 18/3

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Was going to comment on the game but people are critical of Petaia? I guess we can expect it from Dru but I thought Jordy was very good.

Anyway, back the game. That was a battle and a half wasn’t it? Brumbies did well to hold the Reds out. Although our ill discipline and poor handling cost us big time.

I’m not actually too disappointed with that. A four point loss in Canberra with no McDermott, Salakai-Loto, Mafi, Asiata, Scott-Young, Droasese and Vunivalu? Not too shabby.

Reality we should have won with that McReight non-call. A 3 point win would have been incredible.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Was going to comment on the game but people are critical of Petaia? I guess we can expect it from Dru but I thought Jordy was very good.

Anyway, back the game. That was a battle and a half wasn’t it? Brumbies did well to hold the Reds out. Although our ill discipline and poor handling cost us big time.

I’m not actually too disappointed with that. A four point loss in Canberra with no McDermott, Salakai-Loto, Mafi, Asiata, Scott-Young, Droasese and Vunivalu? Not too shabby.

Reality we should have won with that McReight non-call. A 3 point win would have been incredible.
Petaia was good but was cooked by the time he came off..

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Dru was the only mention Petatia got I think. I thought he played a solid game as well. We got the usual from him; some good carries, strong defence, a couple fumbles, and some impressive plays in the air. I can't get over his likeness to Folau when going for the high ball - just a pure athlete.

I'll save the Jock v Jordy discussion for the Reds 2022 thread, but I think the Reds are in solid shape wherever the two of them are positioned.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Reg it was a game point where Petaia did not manage basics expected of a 15. I've given up on any expectation over Jock reclaiming 15, and support Petaia on his journey.

Doesn't mean I can't point out when he fails on a basic 15 role.

And a single observation like that doesn't meant I don't think he played well in general or that he didn't contribute. I'm going to guess though that he won't get 15 in the GGR totw.

PS I'd add that it would help if you are going to comment on the quality pf in game commentary here, that you do it during the game, during the commentary. Otherwise its just out of context.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Again. Just overly harsh on him. Dropped 2 box kicks (which Brumbies excel at) v Banks one? But he was very strong on attack constantly breaking the line, his defence was wonderful and his kicking damn good.

I thought it was a much better all round game than last week.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Darcy Swain would have been MOTM had he stayed on longer. Very rare for a player to get up the noses of the opposition and their fans so much in a game.:p

Frost was very good, but I reckon Ala'alatoa was best for playing out a full game and getting the upper hand in a titanic scrum battle. Slipper easily outpointed Thor in both the scrums and general play.

It was a really tough game and the better side won. So much sour grapes on here from up North tonight.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Again. Just overly harsh on him. Dropped 2 box kicks (which Brumbies excel at) v Banks one? But he was very strong on attack constantly breaking the line, his defence was wonderful and his kicking damn good.

I thought it was a much better all round game than last week.

Sorry, in a during the game post, I say a dropped ball mean he needs to be better at 15 and it's harsh? RR I am nowhere near as anti Petaia as you push, but hell, what do you do, scan the game comments for things to bitch about?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Reg it was a game point where Petaia did not manage basics expected of a 15. I've given up on any expectation over Jock reclaiming 15, and support Petaia on his journey.

Doesn't mean I can't point out when he fails on a basic 15 role.

And a single observation like that doesn't meant I don't think he played well in general or that he didn't contribute. I'm going to guess though that he won't get 15 in the GGR totw.

PS I'd add that it would help if you are going to comment on the quality pf in game commentary here, that you do it during the game, during the commentary. Otherwise its just out of context.
Well I definitely thought he was better than Banks. Will depend how the other 3 fullbacks play I guess.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Besides the kiwi teams, I thought Brumbies would present the bigger challenge for whoever played fullback.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Can we not start bitching about the refs before we even hit the field. No offence BR, but your really stating to come across as a serial complainer. And, despite all the stick I like to give you, I have always thought you were better than that.

The ref will absolutely have a critical outcome on the game. One of the teams will almost certainly manage the ref better than the other. Both teams will get the off lucky call. Some of those might be very lucky. But that’s rugby. Teams get every chance to familiarise themselves with the ref and his mannerisms.

Whatever the refs influence the players get every opportunity to decide the game. If they leave themselves up to the mercy of 1-2 bad calls, well tough luck.
This aged well hahaha

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well I definitely thought he was better than Banks. Will depend how the other 3 fullbacks play I guess.

If folk agree Petaia was better than Banks I'm guessing that my claim he won't get 15v of the week is wrong.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sorry, in a during the game post, I say a dropped ball mean he needs to be better at 15 and it's harsh? RR I am nowhere near as anti Petaia as you push, but hell, what do you do, scan the game comments for things to bitch about?

I came to the last page of the thread to post about the game and saw this at the top of the page.

He's lagging behind Campbell, that's for sure. Cannot be relied upon to take the high ball and has an anaemic kick.

So i interpret that as being a little more definitive than he needs to be better. Read my post again and let me know what I am bitching about. Now go back and read yours and ask the same question of yourself.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I will say the lesser lauded Reds, more then held their own against a Brumbies team who have more then twice as many Wallabies Caps as them.

With 9 more internationals in the team the the Reds, I really thought the Brumbies would have strolled home.