• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5: Rebels v Tahs - Friday 19/3, AAMI Park, 7:45pm AEDT

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think the league bit is a furphy.

He was in our under 20 World Cup squad in 2018 so it's not like he's just started playing rugby.
He was in the league system as 15 year old and went to Westfield high which is league nursery. Happy to always have league players see the light though...

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
MELBOURNE REBELS (1-15):

Cabous Eloff, James Hanson, Pone Faamausili, Steve Cummins, Trevor Hosea, Joshua Kemeny, Richard Hardwick, Michael Wells, Joe Powell, Matt To’omua (c), Marika Koroibete, Reece Hodge, Stacey Ili, Lachie Anderson, Tom Pincus
Reserves:

Jordan Uelese, Matt Gibbon, Lucio Sordoni, Tom Nowlan, Rob Leota, James Tuttle, Glen Vaihu, Frank Lomani
INs:

OUTs:

NSW WARATAHS (1-15):

Harry Johnson-Holmes, David Porecki, Tetera Faulkner, Hugh Sinclair, Sam Caird, Lachie Swinton, Carlo Tizzano, Jack Dempsey, Jack Grant, Will Harrison, James Ramm, Tepai Moeroa, Alex Newsome (c), Jack Maddocks, Mark Nawaqanitawase
Reserves:

Tom Horton, George Francis, Darcy Breen, Sam Wykes, Jeremy Williams, Henry Robertson, Tane Edmed, Lalakai Foketi

Ed Craig has been dropped. What are the Wallabies going to do.....;)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He started a number of games at THP for Sydney Uni last year. He was around the under 20s squad a couple of years ago. No idea how he'll fare here.

What do you think about George Francis? He's come down from Queensland hasn't he?

Francis was probably the best prop in QPR last season and many were surprised when he didn’t land a Reds squad spot. Glad he’s got a gig.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I had to look up him and George Francis when announced as reserves - George Francis ex league player who played league Australian schoolboys so interesting to see if league pedigree brings anything to his game

It is a bit old school, but loads of kids used to play both versions each week with the best playing rep stuff. eg my school in the west was league, my weekend Saturday team was rugby and I played a season of RL on Sundays

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I don't think Wells is any better than Dempsey, I'm glad Wells has a starting gig but among plenty of ordinary recruitment decisions I don't think that was one.
In fact, with Swinton, Tizzano, Dempsey, Sinclair, Harris, Gamble and Hooper to return, I would suggest the back row is about the only area where we are at Super rugby standard!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I am somewhat dubious as to Dempsey's value, he just doesn't do enough 6 & 8 stuff.

He had a decent test where he made wonderful front foot ball, but as a day to day backrower he doesn't provide dominant tackles, win lineouts, win regular turnovers or create dominant cleanouts, so without his serious running metres, beating defenders and creating front foot ball - what is he for?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He was in the league system as 15 year old and went to Westfield high which is league nursery. Happy to always have league players see the light though.

All I meant by it was that he isn't a recent league convert trying his hand at rugby with it being a case of wait and see how he adapts.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Francis gave plenty of QPR props nightmares, good to see him getting noticed.

I'm also off Dempsey. Had a great game in the Test in Brisbane a few years ago and I was excited. I just find him ineffective now. One of those guys that looks busy but doesn't achieve much.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
The Rebels should be confident going into this match, which is precisely the circumstance that leads us to get spanked. Won't be surprised if the Tahs get up and we do our customary choke and fumble performance.

#expectationmanagement

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
y
The Rebels should be confident going into this match, which is precisely the circumstance that leads us to get spanked. Won't be surprised if the Tahs get up and we do our customary choke and fumble performance.

#expectationmanagement
yes, i absolutely hate it when they are expected to win.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
A head to head matchup of the 23’s and only Tizzano and maybe Dempsey would be in a combined side. This is beyond a foregone conclusion.

i'd take Maddocks over Anderson if it's the Maddocks when he was here. Current form, tight call. Think he needs more ball cause his been starved rather then playing poor.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
For me Ramm over Anderson (Maddocks will be marking Koro) and the Tahs back row. Full stop.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Francis gave plenty of QPR props nightmares, good to see him getting noticed.

I'm also off Dempsey. Had a great game in the Test in Brisbane a few years ago and I was excited. I just find him ineffective now. One of those guys that looks busy but doesn't achieve much.

He was one of our best players last game.