• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 6 - Reds v Waratahs - Suncorp

Status
Not open for further replies.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Yeah look I wouldn’t argue if it was, but he fumbled and regathered and it didn’t properly hit the ground in the process I don’t think, even in slo mo

From where we were sitting, we couldn't believe it wasn't called back.

Attachments

• 20220326_DSC_0222.jpg
    20220326_DSC_0222.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 111
  • 20220326_DSC_0223.jpg
    20220326_DSC_0223.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
  • 20220326_DSC_0224.jpg
    20220326_DSC_0224.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 99

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
All the parochialism aside i enjoyed the game. Great win for the Reds. the tahs showed some good fight, but they really lacked the a few experienced game breakers to take advantage of their advantage put hooper bell, gordan and donaldson back into this side and they probably win.
Jamie Roberts was surely the most experienced player on the park tonight, wasn’t he? You would have thought he’d come up with a way to score a try against 13 men…

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Jamie Roberts was surely the most experienced player on the park tonight, wasn’t he? You would have thought he’d come up with a way to score a try against 13 men…
You look at this two ways - yes the tahs failed to take advantage of the extra man advantage with some execution issues. Like Marky M (Nawaqanitawase) not looking to cut in to score the try with petiaia making great cover tackle, lots of dropped ball / knock ons when in the reds 22 and on attack but reds scrambling defence yes equally very good and with Tupou with 7 man scrum winning the penalty summed it up for me.

As I said earlier tupou to me real point of difference, including on the tahs tryline as constantly made meters.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fantastic effort from both teams in less than ideal conditions (I blame @RugbyReg for the weather; he's apparently in charge of QLD so has agreed to wear it).

Was it physical enough to match it with the NZ sides? Fuck no, but the skill level and execution was very good to watch as a game of rugby.

The skill level and ambition between the Tahs of 2021 and 2022 is chalk and cheese. Whatever Coleman and his team are doing, it works, and it is good to see us using a bit of depth and angle to create space.

Reds lineout got picked off a bit. Maybe they just need to speed it up a bit, or have their hooker vary his angles - very flat delivery getting picked off in front of the jumper.

Tahs scrum got pushed around - second row not delivering the power and both starting props getting a bit of tap. Even if the Reds walked around a couple of times ;)

Both teams had a genuine crack, and Edmed will be kicking himself after that intercept. If he'd held that he could have played down that left edge with a 2-man overlap and maybe created something to get back to 25-20.

Sinclair, Edmed, Roberts very good for the Tahs. Grant had really snappy delivery and so did Teddy WIlson when he came on. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) had probably his best professional game ever, and it could have been even better if he'd gone inside instead of trying to beat Petaia on the way to the line.

It is all well and good to say that the Tahs didnt' take advantage of a 13-man Queensland, but they scored 2 tries against a 15-man Queensland so that'll do me.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Paul Cully from the SMH wrote a couple of weeks ago TT is worth 10 points a game and that was true last night.

Good to see Tahs improving, lack a bit a of firepower and execution but playing with much better Rugby IQ.

Been critical of Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) in the past did well in attack last night taking good options (maybe apart from stepping in when going for the line but came very close and it was Petaia defending). Didn’t look like he had to do too much defensive work, hoping to see similar improvement.

Petaia defended well last night would be interested to know from someone at the ground if he defends at fullback or wing. Hard to tell when watching on TV. However not offering much in attack from fullback. Maybe better suited to the wing.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Stats are interesting: https://www.espn.com.au/rugby/matchstats?gameId=595130&league=242041

Strangely level across most indices, though noting Reds cards with total 30 man min off the field. Reds line out - atrocious. Reds scrum - dominant as predicted.

Possession, territory, kicks in hand, runs, tackles, rucks - all pretty much apples to apples. Though Tahs needed many more passes to achieve it. Tahs way ahead in the mauls, but also (surprising I think) in defenders beaten and offloads.

Greater penalty count against Tahs with Reds evening things out with turnovers (lost), and of course cards.

All in all reasonably impressive but much more so when you add in the conditions. I'm not buying this "one swallow does not make a summer" thing with the Tahs. They are a team that looks a lot like the early days of Thorn at the Reds. Refusing the terms "young" or "building" but we all know what is going on. And they may be transitioning faster than the reds did. A compelling match where you just have to acknowledge that the Tahs did not take the opportunity they should with an extensive numbers advantage. Reds played their hand very well during that period but Tahs should have done more.

Discipline is going to kill the Reds, Tate should justly be castigated for his card, Zander predictable but I can cope for now. Our line out destroys any scrum advantage. Just so much to do there. Ditto mauls.

I felt both Stewart and Paisami had quiet nights - but it isn't reflected in the stats. I'm guessing conditions and game requirements kept them busy but workmanlike. OTOH I thought Foketi stood up. Compare the passing stats between the two 10s. Edmed is an energisier bunny, JOC (James O'Connor) seems to pick his moments.

This was not a close match EVEN if you consider the 10 point intercept runaway try by Jock. It will be interesting to see how the Tahs step up with Hopper et al returning.

Last edited:

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
You look at this two ways - yes the tahs failed to take advantage of the extra man advantage with some execution issues. Like Marky M (Nawaqanitawase) not looking to cut in to score the try with petiaia making great cover tackle, lots of dropped ball / knock ons when in the reds 22 and on attack but reds scrambling defence yes equally very good and with Tupou with 7 man scrum winning the penalty summed it up for me.

As I said earlier tupou to me real point of difference, including on the tahs tryline as constantly made meters.
He’s classic with chewing gum the whole game!

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
From where we were sitting, we couldn't believe it wasn't called back.
Yep. Ms MungoSpouse and I were both of the wtaf opinion when that happened. It seemed so obvious I half-convinced myself the fella must have caught before it touched the turf, otherwise why no knock-on signal from the touchie?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
To be fair, there was also discussion of the extremely relevant issue of how harshly the Western Force are treated.

Which is so bad, in fact, that the refereeing in THIS game was affected by the echo of Friday night's performance 2 time zones away.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’d pay extra to just have crowd noise but no commentary.
They aren’t telling me anything I can’t see.
i don't mind the commentary, but I'm amazed this isn't a streaming option you can turn on/off. Maybe not expect Stan to have it as its a new platform, but Kayo doesn't have it available either.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
To be fair, there was also discussion of the extremely relevant issue of how harshly the Western Force are treated.

I think we need to accept that it's beyond just the referees, the complaints about refereeing are a reflection of Rugby's overly complicated rule book, and the different rules WR (World Rugby) choose to have enforced or interpretated differently from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.