• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 6: Waratahs v Crusaders - Sunday 2 April 2017 4pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Easy, you take control of the rep teams, and insist that to be eligible you have to play for your local club.
Watch the kids gravitate to where the prized selections are available.
When the school threatens to drop club players to 3's, they won't care & the power is then transferred.

Short-sighted to try to "remove" schools, who do actually provide resources, from the process. The private school system is flawed, but marginalising it does not seem to me to be the answer. Kids at schools don't have the time to serve 2 masters, so to speak. It is quite reasonable for schools to want them to play sports for the school. I think the answer lies in more inclusive comps rather than the ridiculously small comps we see in Sydney, for example. The GPS / CAS mentality is increasingly flawed. Get them competing with Independent / Public schools. And club teams. I know it won't happen but they need to get them out of these bubbles. But don't deny the schools have an important role to play.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm not suggesting to remove Schools.
Just to put a damper on the circle jerking that currently forms the basis of junior development.

They won't just decide to play a wider range of Schools for the benefit of the sport, that's not in their interest.
Two of these Schools ceased playing trials against an ISA School because it was embarrassing to lose to them.Thats what you are up against, when trying to find a rational way forward.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm not suggesting to remove Schools.
Just to put a damper on the circle jerking that currently forms the basis of junior development.

They won't just decide to play a wider range of Schools for the benefit of the sport, that's not in their interest.
Two of these Schools ceased playing trials against an ISA School because it was embarrassing to lose to them.Thats what you are up against, when trying to find a rational way forward.

Fair enough. I might have over-extrapolated your post! ;)

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Gordon is the find of the season so far. Has barely put a foot wrong since debut.

EDIT: Hasn't come through the usual rugby pathway either. Grew up in Newtown, went to Blackwattle Bay High School and played juniors for Canterbury.

And playing at Uni for what 6 years?

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Just back from the game;
Latu makes silly mistakes.
Gordon was good. The team puts a lot of pressure on Izzy by leaving the attack up to him when they are under pressure.
Waratahs backs defence was horrible, back 3 did not chase in defence.

Digby played really well.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Cheika should select Ioane for the Wallabies squad. I think any Aus eligible playing for any Super team should be eligible for the Wobs.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
He's playing well, but is he any better than Folau, Nabuli, Rona, Peni, Marika, Sefa?
I'm not advocating starting Wallaby winger, but he has pedigree and experience on the main stage which none of the above have (ignoring Folau who probably won't play wing). He'd be a good addition to the squad. More interested to see if he'd actually come or has he cracked the shits with Aus rugby.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Daryl Gibson:
""I can't comment for the other teams but certainly right now we're finding it tough going in terms of seeing the level we've got to get to… against a New Zealand team," Gibson said. "That's something for us to aspire to and part of my job is to get the team there. Right now, we're short of that. We got close but we know exactly what we need to improve." "
What is the other part of his job?

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Daryl Gibson:
""I can't comment for the other teams but certainly right now we're finding it tough going in terms of seeing the level we've got to get to… against a New Zealand team," Gibson said. "That's something for us to aspire to and part of my job is to get the team there. Right now, we're short of that. We got close but we know exactly what we need to improve." "

Mate, the field markings don't just paint theirselves.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Daryl Gibson:

The other part of his job is to pretend to be a coach.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The whole difference between Aus and NZ rugby at the 32 min mark when after end to end play the Tahs turn it over Horowitz has two tired Cru defenders in front and Kellaway outside him does he run ? no he does an aimless kick downfield and a couple of phases later the Cru are in the opposite side. I think every NZ side would have kept the ball in hand.

That happened in front of us. I thought it was Clark that kicked it and then it was unbelievable how slowly Kellaway jogged after it.

When the ball got spread back over to the other side of the field by the Crusaders, Kellaway and Horwitz were hands on hips and walking. This was well before the try had been scored.

The lack of fitness shown in that moment was pretty astounding. Whilst I've signalled out two players I really don't think they were alone.

We're clearly already facing a skills deficit against the New Zealand teams but if you're also substantially less fit than the opposition you have absolutely no hope of competing.

Five day turnaround for the 'tahs, heading to Wellywood Friday night. Why couldn't they have played this on Friday, there was no Australian game in that time slot.

The Sunday afternoon game is good for fans and particularly kids and I'm sure that was the biggest crowd of the season so far.

Making it a five day turnaround for the next match isn't ideal but the reason why there was no Friday night game is that the Waratahs wanted it on Sunday instead.

He's playing well, but is he any better than Folau, Nabuli, Rona, Peni, Marika, Sefa?

Paul Cully wrote a silly article the other day saying that the form Australian winger was playing for a New Zealand side (i.e. Digby). Like you, I really don't agree. I think a whole host of Australian wingers would look outstanding on the end of the backline of an undefeated team.

Status
Not open for further replies.