• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 6: Waratahs v Crusaders - Sunday 2 April 2017 4pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Well fuck it, you don't support a team because they win.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I'd like to think that the experiment begun by Cheika, that players take different defensive positions at lineouts than they do at any other phase of play will finally be jettisoned.
Well it wasn't really an experiment, it was a way to use Beale's best asset, his attack and creativity, and Horne's best asset, his defence in the channel, with them both playing at 12. But I agree in principle, in exceptional circumstances like that it can work, otherwise, nah.

EDIT: I just saw the 'at lineouts' bit. I don't think that is a defensive strategy per se, having the 10 inside the 5m is to exploit a miscue, opening, etc after the lineout

N

NTT

45 missed tackles by the Tahs. Just not good enough. Are the players putting in for their coach and each other? 45 missed tackles would suggest not.

Phil Kearns grilling Clarky about conflicts of interest was the highlight for me. Irony much?

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
How is it the waratahs can have the ball 10 metres out and not make any attempt to get the ball the Naiyaravoro? just dumb. He's a monster and should be used a lot more.

Really like the look of Jake Gordon. Mack Mason looked good at times but stop chip kicking it.

Concerns:
- Defence looks awful
- Tahs look really unfit.
- Put izzy at fullback
- Use Naiyaravoro more
- Tighten up the line out
- Forwards need to work harder

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well it wasn't really an experiment, it was a way to use Beale's best asset, his attack and creativity, and Horne's best asset, his defence in the channel, with them both playing at 12. But I agree in principle, in exceptional circumstances like that it can work, otherwise, nah.

In that instance it was a reasonable move. But it was later extended to having Foley defending at hooker in the tram tracks so that the hooker could defend at 10. It seems to have been extended to Latu and Hooper defending at 10 and 12.

IMHO it's a recipe for defensive lapses (and I've been talking about for longer than Rod Kafer)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
How is it the waratahs can have the ball 10 metres out and not make any attempt to get the ball the Naiyaravoro? just dumb. He's a monster and should be used a lot more.

Really like the look of Jake Gordon. Mack Mason looked good at times but stop chip kicking it.

Concerns:
- Defence looks awful
- Tahs look really unfit.
- Put izzy at fullback
- Use Naiyaravoro more
- Tighten up the line out
- Forwards need to work harder

Gordon is the find of the season so far. Has barely put a foot wrong since debut.

EDIT: Hasn't come through the usual rugby pathway either. Grew up in Newtown, went to Blackwattle Bay High School and played juniors for Canterbury.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Gordon is the find of the season so far. Has barely put a foot wrong since debut.

EDIT: Hasn't come through the usual rugby pathway either. Grew up in Newtown, went to Blackwattle Bay High School and played juniors for Canterbury.

where is blackwattle bay?

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
How do these sides get away with throwing so many forward passes. And what's with Frank's. I've never seen him do a clean out through the gate. Always in the side

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
Like the look of that young boy Mason at 10, I actually thought there 2 good young 10s in the game, both come in as replacements for pretty good 10s, and Mason did just what Hunt has been doing since he has come in for the Saders, looked a quite assured and mature 10.

Really? Mack Mason looked straight out of the Jake McIntyre, Andrew Deegan and Hegarty- mould of fly halves that Australia seems to love at the moment. They all play deep and lateral with minimal running threat and are relatively unathletic. Their major positive is they can kick quite well.
I think their success lies id due to the fact they can play the overly structured game our junior teams favour.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Arent/weren't Canterbury Sydney unis anointed junior team for state champs?

Status
Not open for further replies.