• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 7: Reds v Brumbies - Friday April 7 @ Suncorp 7:35pm

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yep, and I fear he might have started the trend of offloading the responsibility of the full red card decision on the TMO to avoid any potential criticism. The issue is the TMO can only issue a 20min red, not a full red like the on field referee can.

I personally think this Law needs a re-think and some amendments
Yeah, I mean if there is a more obvious "straight red" than that in recent history, I missed it. The play showed Blyth lined him up well out and never looked like trying to make it safe in any way. Not accusing him of being malicious but just so stupid and reckless.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I was thinking eactly same this morning while watching Leinster/ Tigers match. They got a team playing a winning style etc, so build next level up around it.
40% of the team that played against Italy were Brumbies and we had the same Brumbies coaches coaching the Wallabies.

It's been an unofficial thing for the last couple of years so unsure what people are expecting will change this time around?

Marce

John Thornett (49)
40% of the team that played against Italy were Brumbies and we had the same Brumbies coaches coaching the Wallabies.

It's been an unofficial thing for the last couple of years so unsure what people are expecting will change this time around?
vs Italy:

1 Gibbon
2 Fainga'a
3 AAAs
4 Swain
5 Skelton
6 Hanigan
7 McReight
8 Samu
9 Gordon
10 Lolesio
11 Wright
12 Paisami
13 Ikitau
14 Marky N
15 Campbell

A weak backrow, Samu is a good impact player, not a starter number 8 at test level. A poor half-backs combo, a small test inside centre. A fullback without international experience and an Australia A's LHP.

Put those Brumbies players with:

1 Angus Bell
6 Leota
7 Hooper
8 Valetini
9 White
10 Cooper
11 Koroibete
12 Kerevi
15 Wright/Banks

And you have a Top 4 side

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep @Derpus but almost any red card is an idiotic act, and I think that was so dangerous it deserved full red myself.
And though I agree with 20 minutes etc, I still think it's becoming a cop out, supposedly to keep the fans happy. It's not going to encourage people to not be idiotic if that the criteria for not making it a full red and will come back to bite some teams on the arse when proper laws are back in tests etc.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Yep @Derpus but almost any red card is an idiotic act, and I think that was so dangerous it deserved full red myself.
And though I agree with 20 minutes etc, I still think it's becoming a cop out, supposedly to keep the fans happy. It's not going to encourage people to not be idiotic if that the criteria for not making it a full red and will come back to bite some teams on the arse when proper laws are back in tests etc.
What should encourage individual players not to be idiotic is the lengthly ban imposed by the judiciary.
Question; Would the judiciary take into account a full red v 20min red when determining length of ban?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Well after a sleep, I still enjoyed game. Brumbies are a pretty good team aren't they, seem a step above the other Aus teams to me. Can see Eddie building Wallabies around them this season. Reds after watching them for quite a few years while living over Brisbane, have got me beat why they just don't seem to be able to look like a team that can play smart rugby! I know it maybe unpopular view, but I can see why Eddie has dropped Tate, he scored one great try, but really rest of his game looks a little short on skills (ie passing etc) and a 25 sec run isn't quite good enough. Forwards don't help , they seemingly get confused on their jobs at times, and I don't see many (apart from McReight) that look like they should be considered for higher honours?
Ok I a neutral, but after as I said having Reds as my Aus team while living there, I am real disappointed with their direction. Also as I said am very impressed with Brumbies, who look a cut above other Aus teams.

I enjoyed it a great deal. There have been some cracking Australian derbies in the last few weeks.

The Brumbies look fantastic at the moment. They've got a great balance between strong forward play in the set pieces, defence and have developed some great attack in the wider channels. Some gas in the outside backs has helped there.

I personally think they're a massive chance to go deep in the finals.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I enjoyed it a great deal. There have been some cracking Australian derbies in the last few weeks.

The Brumbies look fantastic at the moment. They've got a great balance between strong forward play in the set pieces, defence and have developed some great attack in the wider channels. Some gas in the outside backs has helped there.

I personally think they're a massive chance to go deep in the finals.
I will be very surprised if they don't make either final 4 or 2 , they are a bloody good team.

Realrugby63

Stan Wickham (3)
Zander and Henry don't deserve contracts. Seems to all too often neither of them can turn up to a game.

Both committed stupid penalties that have resulted in a try by the Brumbies.
Stupid comment were you drunk? Henry was in everything. I can list his mistakes on one hand since he started as a reds player. I agree Zander has underperformed and shouldn’t be in the 23, but saying that bull about Henry is ridiculous. He is coming back from injury and I don’t recall him making as many mistakes as Jordy, JOC (James O'Connor), Daugunu etc. in every game as they always do.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Zander and Henry don't deserve contracts. Seems to all too often neither of them can turn up to a game.

Both committed stupid penalties that have resulted in a try by the Brumbies.
Was there another Henry that doesn't deserve a contract?

If he is so poor performing that he should be cut then I think you missed about 20 players from the squad that are more deserving of the same treatment.

Hard to disagree with Zander, he has been poor but I think he is now becoming a penalty magnet, when the scrum collapses he is blamed but not necessarily always at fault.

Reds need to recruit a quality front row and I think they need to look around the globe to find capable players.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can someone tell Super Rugby to make the 20 mins red cards orange cards? The amount of people in the NH who don't know Super Rugby still has proper/full game/no replacement reds is astounding. It is confusing to be fair.

Yellow -> Orange -> Red

Easy.

Also apparently the TMO can't give a full red, it has to be the ref. I think that's dumb. Anything clearly minimum yellow should just be given almost instantly. Speed the game up.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Stupid comment were you drunk? Henry was in everything. I can list his mistakes on one hand since he started as a reds player. I agree Zander has underperformed and shouldn’t be in the 23, but saying that bull about Henry is ridiculous. He is coming back from injury and I don’t recall him making as many mistakes as Jordy, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), Daugunu etc. in every game as they always do.
Considering he's always injured, are we forever going to let this be an excuse?

The whattaboutisms are a tad boring when 90% of the team is poor.

Rugby King

Sydney Middleton (9)
Be curious what impact Heenan might/could have considering he is already part of the coaching group atm (so should already be influencing this team). I mean Foote seems to be doing a reasonable job at the Rebels this season after shifting from under Wessels, so maybe Heenan would bring something more in the drivers seat.
Considering he's always injured, are we forever going to let this be an excuse?

The whattaboutisms are a tad boring when 90% of the team is poor.
Forever injured?

no more than others.