• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 7: Reds v Rebels - Saturday 30 March @ Suncorp

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I was a huge QC (Quade Cooper) fan, but I think if the Reds can maintain the defensive pressure from last week, BT will be wearing a smug smile of vindication at the post match conference.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
that's a massive blow to the Reds' chances.

Let's hope we get vintage Duncan because he's been anything but so far. It also pushes Kerevi one spot out which I don't think is ideal (I've come around finally to him being much better at 12). I don't think there's another option really though. Hardy to 13 would be a big risk. Perhaps Sefa. Another risk.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I guess you're deciding that Duncan Paia'aua is your next best player to come into the side than a replacement on the wing.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Lucas or Stewart to 13??? bit left field
Edit: both have shown v. good tackling technique - are quick and would be good at linking with out wings.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
CFS likely out and Duncan Paia'aua to start.

:(

Massive blow. DP has indeed been below par. I want to see big Samu absolutely steaming into QC (Quade Cooper) at every opportunity. I can see Lucas at 12 tbh. He looks to me a natural play maker. Can put the big fellas out wide into a bit of space.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
:(

Massive blow. DP has indeed been below par. I want to see big Samu absolutely steaming into QC (Quade Cooper) at every opportunity. I can see Lucas at 12 tbh. He looks to me a natural play maker. Can put the big fellas out wide into a bit of space.

Big fellas have more space if Kerevi draws the D in at 12 IMO

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I reckon Kerevi at 13 and get the older slider play going to send him back on an unders at Quade. If Kerevi can run into him front on there’s a good chance Quade will do his usual primal jump and coat-hanger combo that will see him in the bin for ten.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Mid/high 20's, humid & possible thunderstorm. Will be a soft track and handling could be tricky so might play into the Reds hands I hope.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mid/high 20's, humid & possible thunderstorm. Will be a soft track and handling could be tricky so might play into the Reds hands I hope.

if you mean a tighter more forward oriented game, then the back 5 the Rebels have is pretty damn suitable. Big Isi, Gus Cottrell and Luke Jones are big men and hard workers. Coleman and Philip are agro units in at lock.

The battle between these ten men is going to decide this game.

(he said, overly dramatically)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah kinda Reg. I think the Rebels edge us in the backs so having a tighter wet-weather game nullifies that advantage hopefully. I agree the forward battle is going to be epic. Really looking forward to this one.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, I agree, particularly now with CFS likely gone I think the Rebels are better than us in the backs starting, obviously, with their halves combination who have again identified that their combination is almost telepathic. Compare that to Tate and Bryce, two of the weirder names going around, and this being their 2nd start.

A Meakes/English v Paia'aua/Kerervi match up is really about 3 pretty odd players and 2 odd combinations. The Rebels are way more settled - has it been that combo all season so far? perhaps just not that last match?

Hodge at fullback is interesting and I look forward to seeing how it goes. Really just a fill in as well, albeit it with way more high level experience than Stewart.

A bit of brilliance on both wings with Maddocks something special.

As we said, forwards are pretty equal but we really need Rodda and Salakia-Loto to be at the very best to counter Coleman and Philip's ferocity. Wright very crucial being the closest thing to an on-baller in the game, although Cottrell is clearly a quality flanker.

All in all the Rebels are clear favorites and deserve to be.

Reds by 31.